Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 03:10 AM   #16
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
tourmaster
http://www.tourmaster.com/product/Ra...it_Jacket/84/8

i have the non nomex pants and have been great. I've had this combo for several years and have no issues wearing this suit over my riding gear. well worth the money
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #17
zen rider
veteran rider

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraoffroad View Post
tourmaster
http://www.tourmaster.com/product/Ra...it_Jacket/84/8

i have the non nomex pants and have been great. I've had this combo for several years and have no issues wearing this suit over my riding gear. well worth the money
+1 on Tourmaster Sentinel rain pants and jacket if you want an affordable, packable, dry, combo. It has pretty technical vents for it's price. Back in 1998 I had an older generation of Tourmaster Elite rain gear and kept it for ten years with good results but it was hot. Durable stuff. The newer generation called the Sentinel series is improved in every single way over the non-technical Elite series.

But for a ten minute rain I never would bother. At this stage in my riding I am sick of adding rain coats. I just bought a used Darien (Gore-tex) for $200 which I expect to be very hot and I probably will not use in summer weather. In the future I plan to upgrade to a Darien Light ($439) and be done with it.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #18
Drachenfels
Wayfairing Stranger

Oddometer: 47
Cheap Alternative

GI Surplus Wet Weather Gear. You want the newer IMPROVED wet weather jacket/pants; they are generously sized, have velcro on the pant cuffs and jacket sleeves; you can easily duct tape shut the slash pockets on the jacket and pants to ensure you stay dry... your crotch will stay dry (unlike most wet weather gear). The jacket is 3/4 length, has a elastic drawstring at the base to seal against the pants (no 'blow up"), and also features a hood and velcro to roll/secure it down.

I've covered literally hundreds of miles in this gear and stayed dry and comfortable in it. Rode back from Va Beach to Dayton last month; first 300 miles were a DOWNPOUR and stayed dry on that as well. It's not lined - so I've ridden with it in 90 degree weather and stayed comfortable. (at least, as comfortable as you're going to be in those circumstances.

There is the older woodland camo - as well as the ACU camo versions. A complete set in like new condition should run about $50/60 for top and bottom, depending on your local GI Surplus store.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #19
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostryder View Post
Different strokes...never said it was complicated. Just tried the liner thing, the frog toggs thing, the plastic rain suit thing, and it was all a waste of time and money. Had my gore tex suit for years and never leaked a drop, was warm but more comfortable that the other options, especially the wet gear. What ever works for you.
+1

While I'm not a fan of "AGTATT" (All Gore-Tex All The Time), I do think liners are a bit fiddly. That's why I bought a Gore-Tex Klima Komfort Suit to go over my gear years ago. Never lets a drop in. It's literally nothing more than a Gore-Tex shell. No insulation at all. It will not keep you any warmer than anything else that's windproof.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #20
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen rider View Post
I just bought a used Darien (Gore-tex) for $200 which I expect to be very hot and I probably will not use in summer weather. In the future I plan to upgrade to a Darien Light ($439) and be done with it.
OT, but are you saying the Darien Light will be less hot? Why? The Light means it's less protection, but it's just as windproof with the same vents. It's just lighter weight. Why would it be any less hot?

I use my Darien jacket for things like snow skiing or other cold weather non-riding activities and possibly for cold weather dual sport (where it's mostly or all offroad) riding. It's just not even remotely close to enough protection for normal street riding (in my opinion).
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #21
hgulledge
Adventurer-of-sorts

Oddometer: 1,268
I suggest you go to the Harley (gasp) store and buy their $100 Harley Davidson rain suit. Pretty easy on and off, hi-vis bits, and as waterproof as you will find. Alternatively, if you are 6'1" and 220 or so. I could sell you a BMW Gore-tex one-piece suit, with integral armor, for $200.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #22
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFactor View Post
Hello,

I am a new rider looking for good rain gear in a warm environment like Florida. Something that will keep me dry and folds up for easy storage on the bike.

Thanks in advance!!!!
Any rain gear isn't going to breathe well in a hot, humid environment like Florida, but Gore-tex will breathe *somewhat* better. But it's more expensive.

I have a BMW RainPro3 suit. I've been through some hard downpours for extended periods of time, and I stayed completely dry. But above 90 degrees you are going to roast.

Frogg Toggs work for a lot of people, and they're fairly inexpensive, plus easy-on easy-off.

I'm not a fan of waterproof liners, simply because they're a pain in the butt if you're standing underneath an overpass with semi trucks rocketing past at 70 miles per hours, and wind-driven gusts of rain are pelting you. That's just me, though.

In the end, I'm going to buy a jacket with a waterproof Gore-tex shell so I don't have to mess with either a separate rainsuit, or liners.

Go visit revzilla.com and start looking through their selection of rain gear. Watch their videos.

In the end, you're going to get a lot of different advice. And that's good. Some guys will say, go simple, or go cheap. Some guys will say, buy the best you can afford. But, sadly, you'll probably have to try out a couple solutions before finding a setup that fits you and your riding style.

Also, you never told us your budget. $20, or $2000?

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #23
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,802
I've got a Motoport/Cycleport Goretex suit that is still waterproof after 18 years of ownership. Makes the cost very affordable compared to all the vinyl suits that I bought, only to throw away a year later.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #24
Banshee
hi

Oddometer: 6,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostryder View Post
Go spend the money on a good gore-tex suit. Not cheap but worth it.
yup, my last gore-tex suit that I purchased in 2003 lasted seven years before the jacket started failing - and I do a lot of rain riding. I am still wearing the pants. I screwed around the last two years buying a couple of non gore-tex jackets and they all ended up soaking through in heavy rain. Miserable. I guess I was being cheap and thought the jackets would work (Red Ledge for example).

Finally this summer I purchased a gore-tex jacket and have been dry since. I guess my lesson was to pay more for gore-tex and stay dry for several years.

(I know you can treat jackets (re-waterproof them) but my first suit was black and I wanted to change to something more hi-vis anyway)

Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #25
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post

(I know you can treat jackets (re-waterproof them) but my first suit was black and I wanted to change to something more hi-vis anyway)
That was a problem I had as well, I picked up some SOLAS tape and put a few strips on the coat. Really stands out now...I may have some left if you need it.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #26
seevtsaab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Any rain gear isn't going to breathe well in a hot, humid environment like Florida, but Gore-tex will breathe *somewhat* better. But it's more expensive.

I have a BMW RainPro3 suit. I've been through some hard downpours for extended periods of time, and I stayed completely dry. But above 90 degrees you are going to roast.

Frogg Toggs work for a lot of people, and they're fairly inexpensive, plus easy-on easy-off.

I'm not a fan of waterproof liners, simply because they're a pain in the butt if you're standing underneath an overpass with semi trucks rocketing past at 70 miles per hours, and wind-driven gusts of rain are pelting you. That's just me, though.

In the end, I'm going to buy a jacket with a waterproof Gore-tex shell so I don't have to mess with either a separate rainsuit, or liners.

Go visit revzilla.com and start looking through their selection of rain gear. Watch their videos.

In the end, you're going to get a lot of different advice. And that's good. Some guys will say, go simple, or go cheap. Some guys will say, buy the best you can afford. But, sadly, you'll probably have to try out a couple solutions before finding a setup that fits you and your riding style.

Also, you never told us your budget. $20, or $2000?
What he said.

Frogg Toggs meet my criteria. I wear 2 pc vented leather, not overpants, but use poly-liners (even to commute, carry my britches).
Yes the Toggs can soak your crotch in the worst of cases, but lots, not all, rain suits fail there (mine is 2+ years old now).
I ride in the rain. Only leaked twice afaik. I have the luxury of not looking like I pissed my pants of they do leak.
Plus I wear it daily for cold temps, over my leathers gets me 25mi to work into the teens.
I'd replace with same.
seevtsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMoe View Post
I've got a Motoport/Cycleport Goretex suit that is still waterproof after 18 years of ownership. Makes the cost very affordable compared to all the vinyl suits that I bought, only to throw away a year later.
I don't know about back then, but the current Motoport waterproof/breathable stuff is not Gore-tex. And I find mine to be much mroe breathable than my Roadcrafter (which, of course, is Gore-tex) - and more waterproof than my Roadcrafter.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #28
bob highsmith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
darien

over the years have tried a variety of things...for just plain old ease of use in most situations
I rely upon an aerostich darien jacket without liner...when warm and not wearing I just strap it on someplace...
and a simple pair of bibbed type rain pants (harley type are pretty good)....if looking for something more durable then once again look at darien pants with the removable bib and just wear the things like jeans. For boots...can get "motocycle boots" or just go find yourself a pair of red wings or cabela's waterproof that suit you and be happy.
Suppose it depends your "motorcycle chic" ratio.
bob highsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #29
whotmonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
So

Agree with everyone that say frog togs suck...they leak in the crotch....bad bad bad

I was in a rush and bought a BMW one piece. I have ridden through hours and hours of rain with no leaks at all...and I live in NC which in the summer is hot as heck...and was surprised that it breathes well.
whotmonster is offline   Reply With Quote