ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #7801
pippo
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Balkan
Oddometer: 3
my workhorse

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/...or/th_adad.jpg
pippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #7802
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 728
I always see quite a few full tinted windscreens on the GS/A's...LOVE IT!!! Makes me want to buy one!

Being the cheap bugger that I am, I was wondering if its possible to have an auto graphics guy (or gal) put a wrap on the windscreen. Someone else on here was wrapping the GS/A side tank covers in different colors...it was a vinyl heat shrink wrap of some sort.

There are quite a few angles and contours to the windscreen so maybe it couldn't be done. Just got me thinking though...it sure would be cheaper than a $280 windscreen....
__________________
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'06 Ducati 999S
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and mostly forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #7803
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,447
Tuono, given what i've seen done at my local auto/motorcycle film protection store, most anything can be wrapped. Whether or not it looks good on a windscreen is another story. I'm speaking specifically of 3M type film and not generic "window tint" film. I'm not sure if the typical window tint film can be applied or not with success due to the materials involved. Ask your local installer, he/she should most definitely know.

Take care,
__________________
2014 Ducati MTS1200S
2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #7804
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Tuono, given what i've seen done at my local auto/motorcycle film protection store, most anything can be wrapped. Whether or not it looks good on a windscreen is another story. I'm speaking specifically of 3M type film and not generic "window tint" film. I'm not sure if the typical window tint film can be applied or not with success due to the materials involved. Ask your local installer, he/she should most definitely know.

Take care,
I will have to inquire about it. Maybe it would look like ass, though. It would have to be a tint to even have a chance of looking good I suppose....a solid black that you can't see through would probably be silly looking.

I think I'm going to have the wife's A4 windows darkened a bit...I'll have to ask the guy.
__________________
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'06 Ducati 999S
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and mostly forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #7805
live2ridetahoe
RN
 
live2ridetahoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
I always see quite a few full tinted windscreens on the GS/A's...LOVE IT!!! Makes me want to buy one!

Being the cheap bugger that I am, I was wondering if its possible to have an auto graphics guy (or gal) put a wrap on the windscreen. Someone else on here was wrapping the GS/A side tank covers in different colors...it was a vinyl heat shrink wrap of some sort.

There are quite a few angles and contours to the windscreen so maybe it couldn't be done. Just got me thinking though...it sure would be cheaper than a $280 windscreen....
I have wrapped quite a few things with 3M 1080 vinyl. It is very addictive. Once you get the hang of it, you will want to wrap everything. (I almost had a carbon fiber wrapped Eames LCW...)

You might be able to window tint the inside of the windscreen. I would ask a tint installer.

There is another option. People have used a product to tint their rear taillights on some of the car forums. Here is a link to one such thread on NASIOC. You might be able to find a clear dark smoke spray paint online or at a craft shop like Michael's. I found this online after a quick search.

JG
live2ridetahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #7806
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 2,707
It's been done before.



Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #7807
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!
 
BigDave75's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: God's Country
Oddometer: 1,750
^^ Looks good! ^^
__________________
Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!
BigDave75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #7808
live2ridetahoe
RN
 
live2ridetahoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
It's been done before.



I'm sure it has been. I think the guy above was talking about adding tint to the wind screen so he could avoid buying a tinted one.

Nice plug for Rawhide btw.

JG
live2ridetahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #7809
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I'm sure it has been. I think the guy above was talking about adding tint to the wind screen so he could avoid buying a tinted one.

Nice plug for Rawhide btw.

JG
Quote:
Being the cheap bugger that I am, I was wondering if its possible to have an auto graphics guy (or gal) put a wrap on the windscreen. Someone else on here was wrapping the GS/A side tank covers in different colors...it was a vinyl heat shrink wrap of some sort.
I guess I misunderstood him.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #7810
live2ridetahoe
RN
 
live2ridetahoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Tuono, given what i've seen done at my local auto/motorcycle film protection store, most anything can be wrapped. Whether or not it looks good on a windscreen is another story. I'm speaking specifically of 3M type film and not generic "window tint" film. I'm not sure if the typical window tint film can be applied or not with success due to the materials involved. Ask your local installer, he/she should most definitely know.

Take care,
Ah, I guess I misunderstood too...

JG
live2ridetahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #7811
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I have wrapped quite a few things with 3M 1080 vinyl. It is very addictive. Once you get the hang of it, you will want to wrap everything. (I almost had a carbon fiber wrapped Eames LCW...)

You might be able to window tint the inside of the windscreen. I would ask a tint installer.

There is another option. People have used a product to tint their rear taillights on some of the car forums. Here is a link to one such thread on NASIOC. You might be able to find a clear dark smoke spray paint online or at a craft shop like Michael's. I found this online after a quick search.

JG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
It's been done before.



Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Ah, I guess I misunderstood too...

JG
Both of those replies help. That was along the lines of what I was curious about. Not sure if I would be into wrapping things myself, but I was just recently recommended a local tint installer who is into wraps as well. My buddy works for an auto-body shop and they use him for custom decals/pin stripes, etc.

He's close by and apparently does incredible work - sounds like a good lead.
__________________
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'06 Ducati 999S
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and mostly forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #7812
Panzerkampfwagen
n00b
 
Panzerkampfwagen's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Mailand, Italien.
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I have wrapped quite a few things with 3M 1080 vinyl. It is very addictive. Once you get the hang of it, you will want to wrap everything. (I almost had a carbon fiber wrapped Eames LCW...)
Uhm... Yes. Kind of everything.










Panzerkampfwagen screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 04:44 AM
Panzerkampfwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #7813
K9XX
Professional Amatuer
 
K9XX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, Californiastan
Oddometer: 101
4 GSes arrive at the hotel after a day of riding and find the valet has parked some Italian POS in our two reserved spots. No problem, we shared

K9XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #7814
roadtrip22
Gnarly Adventurer
 
roadtrip22's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Apex, NC
Oddometer: 336
My new to me 2008 BMW GSA. purchased last December.. and I love it..

__________________
Follow me on Facebook--- http://www.facebook.com/2wheeladventures
100 things all GS owners should read---http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836736
Repair and Maintenance DVD's--- http://www.jimvonbaden.com/
roadtrip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #7815
Guiloweb
Brazil Rider
 
Guiloweb's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Oddometer: 9
My GS and Rio de Janeiro!
Both so beautiful...



__________________
Guilherme Andrade
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
2013 - Argentina - Ushuaia - The next trip
www.bemaventurado.com.br
Guiloweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014