ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: PEI, Canada
Oddometer: 195
F800GS or large thumper like XR650L ?

I am looking for opinions of those that went to the F8gs from larger GS's and use their bikes off road quite a bit.

I have a r1150gs that works great and is a joy on the highway but really to heavy for anything rougher than decent fire roads, it hates mud even with the heidenau scout tires.
I find myself preferring dirt more and more so I am looking at either a f8gs or xr650l. If I go with the bmw I sell the 1150 as I am confident that the f8 will cover pavement duty but wonder how much better it will be on fire roads and occasional slow single track, is there any point in that move ?

How much better would the XR be ? Problem with the honda is it will probably suck on the pavement so I won't want to take it on any longer trips camping where I get into the better logging roads etc.
I used to have a transalp that was a pretty good all around bike but still lacked off road, due to weight and pavement suspension. The f8gs is about the same weight as that bike so I wonder if the f8 is any better offroad with modern suspension ?

So do I try to get that elusive all around bike that does not seem to exist or have two bikes that each have their place and frustrate you on every ride where you mix both on and of pavement?




Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
Inniswhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b
 
SlowRide13's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Lakemont, Georgia, USA
Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniswhe View Post
So do I try to get that elusive all around bike that does not seem to exist or have two bikes that each have their place and frustrate you on every ride where you mix both on and of pavement?
I find I need two bikes, if for no other reason, to have DOT knobbies on one and K60s (or comparable) on the other. But if I had to have only one bike, it would be the F8.

(from a XRR and XRL rider from way back)
__________________
F800GS Grin Machine
KTM690E Grrr Machine
XR600R Oakey Mtn in the mud http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzoU2NpkaoA
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,649
F800gs

I'm guessing if you thought the Transalp was not up to it you won't like the F800gs off road. She is a big girl. Better than the 1150 for sure. I find mine ok off the road and great on the road and that is my compromise. You might find a KTM690 a better fit. No perfect dual sport yet! You could check some of the vids in my signature line to see where I like to go since everyone's idea of off road is different!
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Kiwi Tinkerer
Ross
 
Kiwi Tinkerer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Oddometer: 364
choice

I have had a bunch of bikes. Original f560 funduro and then Aprilia pegaso.
OK in gravel and good on the road.
Then got an r1200gs which I found too intimidating for dirt.

So sold that and got a BMW G650 x-challenge. Fantastic.
Very competent off road. closest bike to it is KTM 690. I love dirt. Took it in mud and dirt and learned how to ride off-road.
And I regularly toured on it. Just needs a better seat and a little extra gas for touring.

had a mate with DR650. the xchallenge has much better, modern, suspension and brakes and more power.

Thoroughly recomend it.

Now I have f800gs, purely so I can take my wife on the back. Great in the gravel. less power than the old 1200.
I do not expect to be taking it the places I took my xchallenge.
Good luck.
Kiwi Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: PEI, Canada
Oddometer: 195
motoriley,
I watched several of your videos great entertainment. We ride a little tamer but similar trails(less the sand pit) to your crew so I really appreciate your input.You guys have all of the bikes I have been considering except the x challenge which kiwi mentioned in hits post.
The more I look back on the transalp, I still really liked the bike in many ways just felt a better suspension was needed.I am 6'3",230 . Its been a while but I guess it was quite a bit lighter feeling than the heavy 1150. A friend still has one so maybe I will give it a ruin to refresh my memory off road.
One of the biggest problems I find as a big guy is that every bike feels to small and cramped until modified for fit so test rides at just a way to get an idea if there is potential
Actually I wasn't going to consider the f8 until I saw some of your videos and it appeared that the f8 faired about the same as the dr
and xr .
Do you give up much going to the f8 over the dr/ xr offroad ? It seems you have spent some time on all of these.

Like you I think I want that decent highway ride. I live in PEI so any tougher ie fun single track is at least a couple hours away in N.B.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
Inniswhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer
 
CheckerdD's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Dave Rankine, Reno NV
Oddometer: 1,267
I currently 1200 GS and an 800. I skipped the oilhead era, but have owned R100 and R80 GS's. And one KLX650. The 800 off road is comprabible or slightly better than the the airheads. If that helps. If your going to ride 700 miles to Utah and do the White Rim trail, it's great. If your going to your favorite OHV park near home it's not going to be fun, I mean it can do it, but it's work not play. It is quite a bit better than the 1150, but it's a difference in degree, not a different catagory. You can improve the 800 if you tweak some things like rims, crash bars, and risers, but it will never beat a real off pavement single, off pavement. So it comes down to whether you would be happy with some improvement, or a bike to take with you in the back of a pickup. Dave
__________________
Pavement! We don't need no stinkin pavement.
CheckerdD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Penticton, BC
Oddometer: 1,457
An XRL isn't really that bad on the road. A new tank, jetting and exhaust and it can hold it's own. It's certainly better on rough ground. If you're talking multi-week/month touring, I'd go with the F800. If you're thinking long weekends out and about, get some saddle time on the Honda - you may be surprised. (I think there's a good reason it hasn't changed much in 20 years!) I always thought the biggest downside to the Honda was the seat height, but at 6-3 it's not a problem for you.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
biodieselandon's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
I'm guessing if you thought the Transalp was not up to it you won't like the F800gs off road. She is a big girl. Better than the 1150 for sure. I find mine ok off the road and great on the road and that is my compromise. You might find a KTM690 a better fit. No perfect dual sport yet! You could check some of the vids in my signature line to see where I like to go since everyone's idea of off road is different!
I've watched all of your videos on youtube they are very entertaining.
__________________
2013 BMW F800GS, Cordoba Blue, ASC, ESA, ABS
2012 BMW G650GS - 13,000 miles ***SOLD***
"If you're not mixing gas, you're not hauling ass!"
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #9
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,649
Big guy bike

Glad you liked the videos. Since you are a tall guy you should really try to find an HP2 to take a spin on. Fantastic dual sport for you stretched out boys! A little rough around the edges compared to a 1200GS or 800GS on the road but sweet in the dirt. The 800 is a lot less of a handful if you are big as well. The smaller bikes are certainly more capable than the F800 in the gnarly stuff but I find them cramped and I'm only 5'10" 220lbs. I did find the KLR roomier than the XR/DR and I've owned 2 of those and done a few cross Canada runs on them and they were OK on the highway. Did a 1200km day on a KLR once, worst part is all that pain is that I ended up in Winnipeg...I digress. I also have gotten used to having 80 horsepower and find the thumpers pretty anemic. Kind of a rambling response....



Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniswhe View Post
motoriley,
I watched several of your videos great entertainment. We ride a little tamer but similar trails(less the sand pit) to your crew so I really appreciate your input.You guys have all of the bikes I have been considering except the x challenge which kiwi mentioned in hits post.
The more I look back on the transalp, I still really liked the bike in many ways just felt a better suspension was needed.I am 6'3",230 . Its been a while but I guess it was quite a bit lighter feeling than the heavy 1150. A friend still has one so maybe I will give it a ruin to refresh my memory off road.
One of the biggest problems I find as a big guy is that every bike feels to small and cramped until modified for fit so test rides at just a way to get an idea if there is potential
Actually I wasn't going to consider the f8 until I saw some of your videos and it appeared that the f8 faired about the same as the dr
and xr .
Do you give up much going to the f8 over the dr/ xr offroad ? It seems you have spent some time on all of these.

Like you I think I want that decent highway ride. I live in PEI so any tougher ie fun single track is at least a couple hours away in N.B.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:11 AM   #10
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 9,049
I can ride my DR650 all day anywhere, be it super slab or 2 track. Believe it or not, with OEM gearing on both F8 and DR, the DR engine is more relaxed at speed on the slab.
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:40 AM   #11
Avner
Not noob anymore
 
Avner's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Bethesda, MD
Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD View Post
I currently 1200 GS and an 800. I skipped the oilhead era, but have owned R100 and R80 GS's. And one KLX650. The 800 off road is comprabible or slightly better than the the airheads. If that helps. If your going to ride 700 miles to Utah and do the White Rim trail, it's great. If your going to your favorite OHV park near home it's not going to be fun, I mean it can do it, but it's work not play. It is quite a bit better than the 1150, but it's a difference in degree, not a different catagory. You can improve the 800 if you tweak some things like rims, crash bars, and risers, but it will never beat a real off pavement single, off pavement. So it comes down to whether you would be happy with some improvement, or a bike to take with you in the back of a pickup. Dave
I agree with CheckerdD and many of the others here. I had a used 1200 that I abused off-road until I realized I'm really working and not having much fun wrestling it in dual-sport events. I sold it and got the Sertao in June of this year. I had tons of fun with it off-road and as a daily commuter, but it was no fun at all on long slab days. 5,000 miles later I traded it in for the 800 I got last week, and I already know that I'm set with it for a long time. HOWEVER, it will not be my first choice to go play in the mud with the 250cc bikes like I did with the Sertao. It will be my only choice because I have only one bike.

The bottom line is that you really need two bikes to fully enjoy each spectrum (hard-core dirt and long days on the slab), but the 800 seems to be positioned right in the middle - perfect for going cross-country packed with all of your gear, and depending on your skill level - play in the mud and get you back home with a big smile
Avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #12
johngil
Reseda, CA
 
johngil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 3,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
I can ride my DR650 all day anywhere, be it super slab or 2 track. Believe it or not, with OEM gearing on both F8 and DR, the DR engine is more relaxed at speed on the slab.
I can say the same with the Husky.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #13
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 9,049
Why hello John Gil.
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
Avner
Not noob anymore
 
Avner's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Bethesda, MD
Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
I can say the same with the Husky.
My problem with it (other than being spoiled) is that when I ride with full panniers and camping gear at 65-80mph on the 650 it is hard to stay ahead/between traffic pockets, and you are really "working it" plus being blown from side to side with wind-gusts and 18 wheeler. I've done it many times - yes, but I rather be on the 800 on long slab days.
Avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #15
TowPro
Healing time Sucks
 
TowPro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Compass PA
Oddometer: 2,748
I agree with those that say you really need (at least) 2 bikes.

I grew up riding off road for 38 years. I still ride off road (some).
I had an xr650L and a Buell Ulysses , sold the Buell and bought my F800.
The XR650L can be a more capable off road bike then the F800. But if your only riding stone/dirt roads, the F800 can do everything the XR can (accept mud, but that is because you can get better tire selection for the XR).


I ended up selling the XR650 and buying a slightly used Husky TE250. The Husky is a much better dirt bike then the XR650 would ever be, plus its street legal.

But since we are allowed to all have our own personal opinions,I refuse to take my BMW somewhere that I can do major damage to it, while I would never think twice taking the XR or Husky into that same situation.
I figure why beat up my BMW trying to do something it's not really designed to do. Kind of like using a hammer to loosen a bolt when you know you have the right tool in your box.
__________________
2014 R1200GS - My Naked Street Touring Bike
2000 KTM LC4 640 E - For everything else
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014