Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #31
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 502
I've had mine on my F650GS with lowered suspension over a year now. Works great.

no need to spend more
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #32
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeamer View Post
$163 for a piece of plastic no matter how "Good" it looks is a bit mutch. If they would only lower the price more people would buy it and they would make more profit. MaMo has been publising alot of stories in the BMW rags about the "Other Guys" stealing there idea and stuff. Well I know they make some neat and useful products. But when it comes down to it.. Its just plastic molded to some shape. Its hard to somach the prices they want for there R&D. I know I am ranting but I get sick of companies Overpricing their items especially when it is gona go on a BMW. If they just made them affordable they would sell alot more products and they would get their R&D money in no time.

It's $75 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Ilium-Works-F6...4454407&sr=8-1

It's really a great piece of plastic and certainly worth the not-so-expensive amount of money. For people complaining about the price, if you think there are so many people that want to buy it but refuse to because it's too expensive then take $1000 and get a thermo mould made and make a cheaper one. No one is stopping competition in the market so unless you want to address the price issue yourself then buy it or don't. It's really tiring to see the same complaint so often on the BMW forums: people buying a $12-15k moto and then bitching about the cost of parts but not attempting to do anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAthosalas View Post
Well,sorry...I see that's an old thread but I need some info...Could anyone of you tell me how low it is going that maier's splash guard?Some photos could help a lot and I'll be glad if you post some.Also I read about zip ties that included...what is the utility of them?
Here are some detailed pics without the wheel on. The zip ties cinch it up to the bike where there are no areas in which to bolt onto. I can take pics from the other side if you need detail from that angle, just let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF View Post
I was taking my rear wheel off and I figured: "what the heck... why not take off the maier guard?"
I did that and noticed the guard had rubbed the black outside layer of the fuel tank. I think some dirt/sand/grit/small pebbles accumulated between the guard and the black outside layer of the tank. It was more than just some slight scuffing, which is why I wanted to give people a heads up.
(I wish I had taken a picture before I put the guard back on.)

Just saying....if you go offroad you might want to take a garden hose and clean that area up every once in a while. It's the part of the guard that faces the engine and touches the fuel tank. The same is probably true for the machine art moto mudsling.
+1 -- this happens on a number of other dirtbikes' mud flaps as well. Some of them are made with thin plastic channels (ribbing or something) and it can/will wear a groove into the alum swingarm over time. The key is to knife off the ribbing so that there aren't any areas that put more pressure on then the rest. In the case of the F8, I can see this happening on the swingarm but I'm not sure how the flap would move enough where it contacts the gas tank unless something was wrong with the installation. Do you have some pics we could see?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #33
mAthosalas
Costas

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
Here are some detailed pics without the wheel on. The zip ties cinch it up to the bike where there are no areas in which to bolt onto. I can take pics from the other side if you need detail from that angle, just let me know.
Thanks a lot my friend.First and second posted pics were exactly what I wanted to see and check.Great post great help,I appreciate that.Thanks and like we say in Greece "Εfcharisto"

mAthosalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #34
mAthosalas
Costas

Quote:
Ep?Where did you bought that black coloured rear brake protector?I'm looking for one but all aluminium and I don't want to.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:20 AM   #35
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Your point is definitely valid... which is why I went with the Maier myself. The Maier looks great right now and you can't tell it is a non-OEM part.

Besides "stealing their idea" is hardly the case, it's not like the concept is new to motorcycling or they have a patent on it. I myself am a design engineer and my company worries about that stuff but if someone else gets it before you can patent it... tough.

Price has to be a huge factor when you consider the part can be made with a few dollars worth of plastic, 10 dollars worth of thermo-forming and 50 cents worth of fasteners and zip ties. Granted the die for the thermo-form mold may be a couple thousand bucks but you make it up if you price it right and sell more!

Valid point yes, and until there are guys outside buying their stuff they won't change their politics. but one happy point is that for the bike BMW is starting to get the point :

more options included (for new models) for the same price. take the new 1200GS limited edition or the new 1600GT/L.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #36
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mAthosalas View Post
Ep?Where did you bought that black coloured rear brake protector?I'm looking for one but all aluminium and I don't want to.
Got it from TT.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #37
mAthosalas
Costas

Quote:
Got it from TT.
Thks

Old 06-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #38
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Thumb Maier mudflap from Cyclenutz.com

I just received mine and wanted to say thanks to Tony and Co

Fantastic service from the Inmate ! Quick and prompt shipping, and with much appreciated discount for the forum members

If you are thinking of getting one, this is the place where to buy it

Can't wait to install it...

Cheers,
birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #39
ROAM_650GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Installation

Do you have to take off the rear wheel to install the splash guard?

Thanks.
ROAM_650GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #40
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Nope, just put it on and zip tie
Old 11-14-2012, 03:33 AM   #41
tembaine
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hallo mates!

Has any European rider installed the Maier rear Mudguard?
Unfortunately the high shipping cost reduce the value of this deal!

Thanks so much

AndRe
tembaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #42
Yip
gà - n00b

Oddometer: 19
I am in Vietnam but the total shipping cost+tax is only $35, way cheaper than the Mud-sling.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #43
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Just installed the Maier, which I got from Touratech for about $75. Installed easily, and looks like it should block all that mud from hitting rear shock...

Not sure why the mudsling was so much more for such a simple product.
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #44
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
I've had mine on my F650GS with lowered suspension over a year now. Works great.

no need to spend more
Cool! I was wonder if it would fit my factory lowered F650GS
mustardfj40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #45
EPMD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Works perfect.

No idea what the more expensive versions get you since this one does exactly what it's supposed to.

The more important question is, why doesn't the bike roll out of the factory with this already on it??

EPMD screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 05:10 PM
EPMD is offline   Reply With Quote