Difficult but Useful

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Booger,
A Baja ride is always a good ride....no matter what happens

Welcome aboard Baja

+1 Ged !!

Thanks for posting Booger, most of your stops are familiar, including the dirt naps

Back again in Feb. '13
Old 11-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #47
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,790
Thumb Memories

Andy you fucker!

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #48
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
Andy you fucker!

I said I was coming back.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #49
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Back out on the highway I spot 2 bikers on the side of the road cooking breakfast. I stop and introduce myself.
These guys are on their way to Argentina, they're taking their time, I believe they were only going to go up the road another 20 miles or so to make camp, that's when the subject of time came up. We're not sure what day it is or the time. I guess that's a good thing when traveling.
But I look a the GPS and see it's only 11:00. I can see I won't be traveling with these guys, and then I look at the calender and discover it's Wednesday.

Crap, I've got to get moving. I've scheduled the ferry for Thursday online to help with my lack of Spanish and the confusion I would be in, also I had found out that by booking online you can save a little bit of money.

In the mean time this lady pulls up and starts talking to these guys in a mix of Spanish, English and French. We all kinda of start laughing at this, but she's better prepared for Latin America than I am.
I love meeting the people on the road and hearing how they're traveling and where they're going, but I've got to get going if I want to make it to the bottom of Baja and then come back up to La Paz to catch the ferry.

I get confused going through La Paz but find my way to the highway that leads towards Todos Santos.
It was a long ride, but I make it before sun down and start to ride through to make up time, but when I reach the end of town, I pull off the road and look at the map.
I really don't want to rush but time is getting away. There's so much to see, but this town looked interesting to me. So I turn back, I can make that loop tomorrow.

I find this hotel behind the laundry mat for 350 pesos.

My room was the first one on the left, wheel chair accessible.

It's across the street and around the corner from the famous and all booked up Hotel California.

The hotel is very accommodating and understands my desire to make sure my bike is locked up and gives me a room that they say my bike is welcome to go into.
A concept I never thought about, asking, I usually just put the bike in, and hope no one would see.

I check my e-mails and see the guys at work have been following my SPOT and a link to my smugmug page. They're upset that I don't have any photos of the women of Mexico. So I leave my room and set out on a determined to find the girls of Mexico and make my work friends happy.

I find one doing some kinda photo shoot. I sneak in for one.

The photographer gives me the evil eye so I turn to take a photo of the mission behind me.

I go for another and he's had enough of me. They pack up.

I go back to the Mission.

There's something going on in there so I leave, don't want to walk in on something personal.
And now I follow the model and the photographer.

There doing a commercial inside the Hotel California, but I feel it would be really bad to have the flash go off as there recording so I give them their peace. I can only give the guys these photo's of 1 girl, but I'll keep my eye out.
When taking the road less traveled it's hard to find girls out in their bathing suits waiting to have their pictures taken.

But I continue to walk around town.

And find comedy.

My favorite. I should have a T-shirt made up like this.

Todos Santos seems to be a popular spot for the Gringo's. Once in the middle of town I find it hard to find a taco stand so I settle for a sandwich shop, I'm the only customer but they produce a very hearty sandwich and I sit there by myself eating. When done I look for someone to pay and soon enough a lady comes out, we try talking, she's trying to speak English and me Spanish, this would have been a great opportunity during dinner to learn Spanish, but the business is done and I head back to my room.

booger1 screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 08:20 AM
Old 11-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #50
farrell caesar
Seezer

Oddometer: 384
todos santos

That's funny. I stayed in the same room in spring. Left the bike on the patio. Went to the beach near town that had killer waves literally. A few miles south of town I went to see the fishing boats come in. I came over the mountain from San Jose del Cabo. That is a good ride. Forget the name. Thanks for the report !
Old 11-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #51
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,071
Many thanks for a good ride report.The gringo tourists from cabo take day trips to Todos Santos.There is a very good restaurant just behind that motel and across the street from Hotel California.Mexican food and a$$ kicking maguaritas.3 and you are plowed.Something about damiana liquer.I hope to be down there on my bike just after xmas.I have noticed your and some other inmates ride reports and I am taking notes for good motels in baja.I havent had a bike past the Bay of LA.I am going from San Felipe to Cabo and back running both sides.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:51 AM   #52
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
Many thanks for a good ride report.The gringo tourists from cabo take day trips to Todos Santos.There is a very good restaurant just behind that motel and across the street from Hotel California.Mexican food and a$$ kicking maguaritas.3 and you are plowed.Something about damiana liquer.I hope to be down there on my bike just after xmas.I have noticed your and some other inmates ride reports and I am taking notes for good motels in baja.I havent had a bike past the Bay of LA.I am going from San Felipe to Cabo and back running both sides.
I almost went into that restaurant but it looked like too nice of a place for a lone stinky adventurer to sit down .
Bay of LA was as far as I made it the first time, it felt good to pass up the location where my motor blew up, got a great feeling of accomplishment and was praying really hard that nothing was going to happen to this bike. I'm looking forward to going back with my girl, but we have a hard time going to the same place. The world is just too damn big.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #53
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm wanting to push hard today. Get to the bottom and back up to catch the ferry.
I'm packed up and on the streets ready to ride before the sun has a chance to fully light up the world.

To save time I'm pulling out the camera on the fly.

It's not long before reaching Cabo. I don't stop here as the traffic is very congested and I know it's expensive, so I ride through till I find a place to get the bike down on the beach near the tip.

The bugs that hitched a ride.

I come off the beach and continue till I see a pull out where the surfers are waiting to catch a wave.

These guys approached me to see if I had a light for there hippy hay cigarette.

I'm starting to get pretty hungry when I spot this place in San Jose del Cabo.
The retired couple I met a few days ago at Baja Cactus had told me that I must try Birria.

Oh yea. If I knew how to prepare this stuff I'd probably own a herd of goats.

I grew up on a small hobby farm, we raised mostly goats. If I knew then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have minded the 3:30 am feeding of the animals. My mom treated them as pets so I had to make sure that I got an e-mail back to her that I just ate goat and it was delicious.

I'm pushing hard trying not to focus on time, but the heat has me convinced that it's getting late.

The to go menu.

This is tough, passing through towns that I want to explore. 8 days in Baja is not enough. I take a quick photos and keep moving.

It's not long and it's now 2:00. The ferry leaves in 3 hours. I'm not sure of the procedure to get on the boat, but I find the ticket building, stand in line and when I get called up to the counter the lady starts up with very fast Spanish, I say nothing but hand over my confirmation ticket. She then produces the real ticket, I don't have to say anything, she points down the road to where I have to enter. I'm confused because there's alot of large trucks parked but I find my way through to the port security and they assure me I'm on the right path.

It's obvious that I'm early as I watch some guy with a huge sledge hammer working out a dent or something on the floor of the boat. I'm called back to the security booth and am told it will be about 10 minutes or so.

An hour and half later I've gotten to know the security guards family by the pictures in his wallet and he's gotten to know about my trip from maps and GPS. They start this organized chaos of loading the big container trailers and then cars. All the bikes show up in one large group. Did they all have to wait somewhere else?

We're the last ones to get loaded on and were given instructions to ride down into the hull at the front of the ship.

We're told not to strap the bikes down and to hurry up.
I had reserved a cabin to ensure I get a good nights sleep and offered the extra bed to another traveler on his way to Peru.

We're out of our riding gear and find our way to the adult beverage cart and watch the ship pull away from the dock.

We make friends with other people aboard.

And they insist that we try their Tecate beer with chili powder.

The guy that offered up the chili beer is out cold before long.

I made sure to show him this picture in the morning.
The shower room.

The ship starts rocking pretty good and another moto traveler gets us all together. He's had a talk with one of the crewmen about tying the bikes down. He doesn't understand why we didn't do it in the first place. So we get a tour of the depths of the ship late at night.

For some reason the crewman leading us doesn't know his way around and now we get lost.

But then the upset lead man finds us (I guess he was asleep when he heard we where going down to tie the bikes up) and leads us to our destination.

The bikes get secured and now we can all sleep better.

booger1 screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 08:31 AM
Old 11-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #54
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

I must have slept very well as I hear my roommate stirring around and ask what time it is.
8:00. We must be getting close. Meals are provided aboard and we get breakfast and go outside to look around.

The crew is out working.

Bubba Gump out earning their paycheck.

Mazatlan getting closer.

Birds showing us the way in.

It's 11:00 when my wheels touch solid ground. It's hot.
It's 190 miles from Mazatlan to Durango.
I'm told it will take 5 to 5 1/2 hours to get to Durango following the Espinazo del Diablo so my plan is to get a place outside of town for the night. But for whatever reason I start riding, maybe the call of the road. As I start to get into the mountains the clouds give the appearance it's getting late.

I keep my eye out looking for a hotel and see plenty, but the road won't let me stop, I keep riding.

The Espinazo del Diablo takes me to an elevation around 8,000 ft. Depending on where you get your research there's an estimated 2,000 to 3,800 curves depending on where they started to count. I got to 31 before I got distracted by the large trucks coming down the mountainous curves taking up both lanes at full speed. The squeal of the tires and the rubber left behind them in each turn has my attention, this is why this road is dangerous I suppose.
But it's still a motorcyclist dream ride.

Just moments before I reach the pullout this truck has a close call with the Diablo.

He says that he had a blow out, but then says "I was stupid, I was going way to fast".

The tree is holding him from taking a plunge down the side, to how deep I don't know, we're above the clouds now.
I make sure he's alright and if he has some friends coming to get him.

I wish the guy luck and tell him I'm glad he's alive and with a hand shake I leave.
I continue the ride when it feels like something bit me on my leg, I look around and see nothing but notice the bike is making a weird noise, it seems to go away when I'm easy on the throttle, but that's hard to do on this road. I cough it up to low octane fuel but after a little while I can't concentrate on anything else but the noise.
I stop to inspect the bike and discover this.

Chain guide came off and now the chain is wearing into the swing arm.

I limp into Durango to find a place with wifi, but the sites have distracted me and I forget what I'm looking for.

It's not long before I'm completely turned around and riding in a circle around town. I spot an auto hotel at the end of town but figure they probably won't have wifi as they rent their rooms by the hour. After an hour a Best Western sign comes into view. I decide not to try and bargain shop for hotel prices, I need to get this part and having wifi is going to help.
I email a friend back home to see if he has any advice or words of wisdom on a cheap fix. He replies "you know there's a TSB on that", and offers to send me his old one.
I tell him he was suppose to tell me about that before I left .
I also went out to the ADV community to ask about shops in the area.
That's when SR chimes in and tells me he's in LA right now and can pick one up for me. That sounds like a great plan. He'll be back in town in a couple of days so that gives me time to walk around and explore the city. He gives me some ideas of some sites to visit and where I can go and eat.
The ADV community is an awesome site. No matter how big or small the trip is, there's somebody willing to help, and the world doesn't seem so big.

booger1 screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 09:12 AM
Old 11-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #55
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Booger,
Thanks for the RR....some familiar Baja stuff....and love the vids riding up out of Mazatlan....

That is an area I have yet to ride, so your vids are whetting the ride appetite.

I am preparing for two weeks on a rental KLR on the mainland in February (Mexico City- west to Pacific-south to Salina Cruz - and up through Oaxaca to Mexico city)....and can't wait....so eye candy like yours is giving me "premature rideaculations"

Looking forward to more

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #56
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Booger,
Thanks for the RR....some familiar Baja stuff....and love the vids riding up out of Mazatlan....

That is an area I have yet to ride, so your vids are whetting the ride appetite.

I am preparing for two weeks on a rental KLR on the mainland in February (Mexico City- west to Pacific-south to Salina Cruz - and up through Oaxaca to Mexico city)....and can't wait....so eye candy like yours is giving me "premature rideaculations"

Looking forward to more
I'm in envy of you, hope everything goes well.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #57
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Very cool Espinazo video! I had my nose up gainst the screen and was getting into it with the music. Looks like the 950 has some pick up!

Nice work!
SR
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #58
abogado68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Amigo, you didn't have goat, you ate birria de res (cow), which is also very good. Gald you enjoyed Mexico.
abogado68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #59
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Very cool Espinazo video! I had my nose up gainst the screen and was getting into it with the music. Looks like the 950 has some pick up!

Nice work!
SR

Thanks SR, You should have tried out the 950 while it was at your place, that thing is fun.
But I'm sure I'll be back.

booger1 screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 06:38 PM
Old 11-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #60
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abogado68 View Post
Amigo, you didn't have goat, you ate birria de res (cow), which is also very good. Gald you enjoyed Mexico.
Well, that's what the lady told me. Hope the other stuff I ate was goat then because the menu was Birria. But thanks for the correction, I guess you really don't know what your eating in Mexico, but it's all good.
But I really hope that was goat.