User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Bullwinkle58 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
"odometer resettable by tenths"...?

Hope i'm not the first to be confused by this. In the LA-Barstow-Vegas literature it says you need an odometer that is resettable by tenths. Why would I ever need to reset just the tenths & not the whole mileage number? My odometer reads in tenths, but I dont know if just the tenth's are resettable. It's a drz 400s & the factory speedometer/odometer isn't very intuitive.
Bullwinkle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Naq
Kitsune

Oddometer: 200
Thats what the +/- buttons are for on the dash. If sections are labeled with mileage it may not always line up with yours exactly so you could miss a turn later on in the ride. I miss having those tenths buttons on my TE since I've been using it on a lot of dual sport rides and I always have to do the math in my head to make the numbers match the roll chart. I'm looking at getting a Vapor dash just to get them back.

'02 FZ1, '02 DRZ400S, '09 TE250
Naq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
It's a pretty common thing to have in navigational rallys. If you miss a turn or even just run wide on a corner your odo will be out, you usually periodicly adjust the odo to keep it in line with the roadbook.
michael1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
There will be plenty of resets for a standard odometer to return to zero and coincide with the roll chart. If your odo simply zeros, it's alright.
The benefit of being re-settable by tenths is that you can make up for roll chart inconsistencies and places you get off course.
I like having a separate odo for my fuel as well. I ride sweep so I am frequently deviating from the course and adding miles.
Hopefully you are running a GPS. The roll chart box numbers are matched up to the GPS waypoint numbers. Easy to get your roll chart where it needs to be.

You will miss key information regarding speed limits and trail hazards if you don't keep the roll chart current.
Please note the speed limits in the tortoise areas. It may seem like bullshit, but it is part of the agreement District 37 makes with the gubberment for permitting.
Hope you have a great ride!

johngil screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 08:41 PM
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:13 AM   #5
Tooltech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
The USA has lost it's collective mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
There will be plenty of resets for a standard odometer to return to zero and coincide with the roll chart. If your odo simply zeros, it's alright.
The benefit of being re-settable by tenths is that you can make up for roll chart inconsistencies and places you get off course.
I like having a separate odo for my fuel as well. I ride sweep so I am frequently deviating from the course and adding miles.
Hopefully you are running a GPS. The roll chart box numbers are matched up to the GPS waypoint numbers. Easy to get your roll chart where it needs to be.

You will miss key information regarding speed limits and trail hazards if you don't keep the roll chart current.
Please note the speed limits in the tortoise areas. It may seem like bullshit, but it is part of the agreement District 37 makes with the gubberment for permitting.
When is the gubberment going to install GPS monitors on all the Tortoise in the desert? China and Russia love to see the USA engage in this insanity. No wonder we are the laughing stock of the world.
Tooltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooltech View Post
When is the gubberment going to install GPS monitors on all the Tortoise in the desert? China and Russia love to see the USA engage in this insanity. No wonder we are the laughing stock of the world.
That's a whole other topic...
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Bullwinkle58 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post

Thanks for the replies everyone, that makes sense. I wondered why I was able to subtract mileage from the trip...

Thanks johngil, i'm looking forward to it. This is 2 years in the making for me. I bought the bike 2 years ago in prep for last years ride, but it didn't work out. I am using a gps & have read the rider info. Definitely dont want to be the fool that gets D37 on bad terms with the BLM.
Bullwinkle58 is offline   Reply With Quote