Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 05:59 AM   #241
Jon-Lars
Jon-Lars

Oddometer: 544
Katie,

My condolences to you and your family.

You know that Robert was a good man, who lived a very good life.

Keep him in your hearts.

Sincerely,
Jon-Lars Sorenson
Jon-Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #242
kvanvliet
n00b

Oddometer: 3
East Coast Memorial Service for Rob VanVliet

Hi everyone, here is the memorial information. There will be an additional West Coast memorial service on Dec 2 I think, but I don't have all of that information yet.

For East Coasters who want to attend:

Saturday, November 24th
2:00 pm.
Mt. Carmel United Methodist Church
at the intersection of New Hampshire Ave (MD-650)& Georgia Ave(MD-97) in Sunshine, MD.
Rob wasn't a religious fellow; rather, this church is down the street from the family farm that his mother grew up and her parents helped to build. It's been a gathering point for the Brown and VanVliet families for generations. We lived at the farm for a few years right after we moved back to the East Coast from California. I was 6 years old then.

If you cannot make the memorial service on the East Coast, you are welcome to send us a postcard, note, photograph, card, drawing, etc (keep paper size to 5" by 7" or less) that the family plans to share with those in attendance. We know that so many people were a part of his community, from all over the country and the world. Please send postcards, etc as soon as possible to Rob's sister at:
Barbara White
1322 Old New Windsor Rd
New Windsor, MD 21776
or emailed to barbwhite@qis.net

Donations in lieu of flowers to Hepatitis C Association, Inc., 1351 Cooper Rd, Scotch Plains, NJ 07076-2844. Please mention that the donation is in memory of Rob VanVliet.

Thank you everyone for your love and admiration for my Dad. If you need to contact me about anything, email me at katie.vanvliet@gmail.com

kvanvliet screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 07:49 AM
kvanvliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #243
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,027
Palimpsest

Thank you for the notice of Robert's service.

Gee whiz, I keep running into Wirewrkr's advice and comments when I search the archives here. I have not read nearly everything he posted so I am still learning from him all the time. It's like he is still here adding his uniquely helpful online self to nearly everything.

I miss him but I keep running into him again and again. I like that. It is a bittersweet feeling, though.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #244
wirewrkrwife
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thank you for your kind messages everyone

Robert in Taos, New Mexico, Nov. 2011

Robert's good friend, Chris Canterbury (BMWEURO) forwarded this forum on to me. As Robert's (wirewrkr) wife, I am so deeply touched! He was such a force with in the BMW motorcycle world - it was his greatest passion, especially the vintage bikes - so obvious by how much of his life revolved around it. I am grateful to have these comments from all of you to read and I know he REALLY enjoyed them too. It makes my heart warm and helps soothe my broken heart to hear about him from so many. He was such a considerate person, so willing to help others, so ready to stop what he was doing in order to be there for his "people". He had his own sense of humor, not everyone understood, but I LOVED! He felt most at home in his shop where he could "tinker" as he called it. He had a natural talent and could fix just about ANYTHING, whether it be a motorcycle, the starter on my car, a leaking fixture, the door on the refrigerator, or the washing machine. The only thing he didn't like to do was paint, but since I like to, that worked out perfectly for us. I will miss him dearly. Those on the east coast can join the memorial on the 24th. See his daughter Katie's post. He is also having a "celebration of his life" in Joshua Tree on Dec. 2nd. at his home. Another in Santa Cruz (where he lived for 10 years prior to Joshua Tree) but the date has not yet been pinned down. I will post that info as things get finalized. You are all welcome.

Alita VanVliet

wirewrkrwife screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 11:44 PM Reason: update
wirewrkrwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #245
wirewrkrwife
n00b

Oddometer: 2
"Celebration of Robert's Life" Dec 2nd Joshua Tree, Ca

Robert's helmet humor

We are having an informal Southern California gathering of Robert's friends and family in Joshua Tree. Everyone that can make it is welcome. We would love to see you and hear about how he touched your lives. Here are the details:

Date: Sunday Dec. 2nd, 2012
Place: Robert's home @ 7566 Sunny Vista Rd. (corner of Melton Trail - enter and park on Melton), Joshua Tree, Ca 92252
Time: 1:30 - 5:30pm

If you cannot make the gathering we will also be scheduling one in the Santa Cruz area - that info will be coming soon.

Alternatively, you are welcome to send us a postcard, note, photograph, card, drawing, etc (keep paper size to 5" by 7" or less) that the family plans to share with those in attendance. We know that so many people were a part of his community, from all over the country and the world. Please send postcards, etc as soon as possible to his wife at:

Alita VanVliet (for Joshua Tree and Santa Cruz celebrations)
7566 Sunny Vista Rd.
Joshua Tree, Ca 92252
or emailed to alita2vs@hotmail.com

Donations in lieu of flowers to Hepatitis C Association, Inc., 1351 Cooper Rd, Scotch Plains, NJ 07076-2844. Please mention that the donation is in memory of Robert VanVliet.
wirewrkrwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #246
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordless View Post
Thank you for the notice of Robert's service.

Gee whiz, I keep running into Wirewrkr's advice and comments when I search the archives here. I have not read nearly everything he posted so I am still learning from him all the time. It's like he is still here adding his uniquely helpful online self to nearly everything.

I miss him but I keep running into him again and again. I like that. It is a bittersweet feeling, though.
+1 He just showed me a puller that will help me change my crank sprocket. Just priceless information came from him. I so wish I could go to a service, but will be there in spirit. Know he helped a lot of people with his wisdom, but also his good natured ribbing and sense of humor. He's the type of person that makes me proud to be an airhead.

Wirewrkwife: thanks for keeping us informed. We miss him around here, wish I could've met him.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #247
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
Tinkering

I was out of town and just read about Robert's passing. I'm glad his pain is finally gone.
Like all the rest I enjoyed his pearls of wisdom that he so freely shared, and like all the rest, I just wish there were more.

Let's hope that Robert can continue to tinker, where ever he is. ....and just maybe add some new converts to the world of airheads.

R.I.P.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #248
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
Memories. Hope it's ok to post this here.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #249
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,276
Nice, Jenna. I've got it Bookmarked.

--Bill
Old 11-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #250
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,988
There are never the right right words to express the loss of someone like Robert. My feeble attempt: "Gone, but never forgotten."

I still have one part bought from him I need to install. He still lives on, even in passing.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #251
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,276
In a very real sense, Robert is around...

His ADV User Profile:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=92584

I like this sorry profile... :)

Search Results for his last 500 posts:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/searc...rchid=20663456

Even with "our sucky search engine" there maybe some way to search using the UserID (92584) for all of his 4300 posts.

--Bill
Old 11-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #252
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,953
I've been thinking that all the posts of Wirewrkr could be edited into something useful. I'm thinking a project. But then the raw material available to individual search may even be better than some polished project. Would most definitely like to have access to more than just 500 of his posts.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #253
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Oh, man... just picked up on this. Pity.

My wife and I work in health care. When I first read what he was going through, I caught a chill.

I lost both my parents to cancer. No question, it's bitch. Life goes on.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #254
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,767
Happy Thanksgiving to the wirewrkr family! I hope you are able, at least in some small way, to enjoy this day.
For sure, one thing everyone here is thankful for is Roberts presents over the years!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #255
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,953
It was a very blustery day today in Sunshine, Md where 50 or 60 friends and family gathered for a small service for Robert Vliet. It was very touching. His daughter Katie read a poem she wrote about riding motorcycles with her dad. Son Fletcher sang a song. They are really nice looking kids. They make their Dad proud I'm sure.

There were some family photos, a slide show and coffee, after the service. Temperature must have been around freezing and the wind was gusting to 25 or more. That kept many bikers away I think. There was one motorcycle in attendance. An old Airhead of course. Sweet dreams and happy journeys.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote