Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 03:25 AM   #361
BenThere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I was following this RR a couple of months ago - without a doubt the best written RR I've ever seen in here, and the photography is top notch, too!

I'm subscribing so I can go back and read the parts I missed - and so I'm ready when the next chapter begins!
BenThere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #362
calvin_
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Really awesome and life changing experience, congratulations !

I'm following the report for a while and also sharing with my brazilian motorcycle fellas.

Thanks for sharing !
calvin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #363
mrwwwhite OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
7th October 2010 vs. 7th October 2012

Today we mark 2 years since disaster hit right on the day we were set to go conquer Africa. Surgery, motorbike destroyed, plans reset by 9 bleak months. But today we are also lucky to celebrate 2 awesome full-throttle years of adventure and self-discovery. Thank you all for following, thank you Mother Africa!
mrwwwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #364
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Current spouse fetches mail this morning, says 'Who do you know in Romania?'! Well, I guess maybe the folks who toured Africa.
Yup, it was a lovely photo from the trip. I'd forgotten that I'd donated some funds in Africa... wow, thanks for remembering.

If you ever want to come to the United States, let us know, I think there would be a lot of people to show you around, and stay with.
The western US wouldn't really be like the Congo, but there is some awesome country over here... I think you'd enjoy it.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #365
mrwwwhite OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
Current spouse fetches mail this morning, says 'Who do you know in Romania?'! Well, I guess maybe the folks who toured Africa.
Yup, it was a lovely photo from the trip. I'd forgotten that I'd donated some funds in Africa... wow, thanks for remembering.

If you ever want to come to the United States, let us know, I think there would be a lot of people to show you around, and stay with.
The western US wouldn't really be like the Congo, but there is some awesome country over here... I think you'd enjoy it.
Thanks lots for the kind offer, noted and marked! Will sure give a sign when/if heading that way. Thanks a lot for the donation as well, the photo's been long overdue, hope you like it!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:42 AM   #366
mrwwwhite OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Romanian Joyride

Romania 02 - 31/08

It took a while to see this, and now we do: the Zaïre crossing was the pivotal event that springboarded us to the next level. Sharing our various memories of Zaïre and of what happened after that with Alper in Curtea de Argeş, we realised that the whole experience continues to simmer on.

Wait wait… Did I say Alper was in Romania with us? Wasn’t him the German dude who joined us on a race across Congo Brazaville in December? Hell, yeah, he is back in our life, and boy, are we glad! First, I’ll give you a recap of what he’d been up to since we split. It was December 2011, and me, Ana and the four Vidals from Toulouse were stuck in Kinshasa, while Alper and his then-girlfriend were sharing our faith, but in Matadi. There was no way any of us would be allowed to enter Angola overland, and we had all the same big decision to make. Give up, fly over, or push forward on routes that aren’t on any map. Do or die. Each of the three teams had a different set up, different strengths and weaknesses and different objectives, but we all ended up choosing the same way out. Alper and Esther left first, and based on their initial SMS we decided to take a different route, which in the end proved even more treacherous. The Germans suffered a lot, so did the Toyo. They crossed in a little under four weeks, breaking the suspension just on the finish line. Then in Namibia disaster hit: Esther was taken down by malaria and kidney failure, which abruptly ended their adventure. After accompanying Esther home, Alper returned to sell the Toyo, not before driving it all the way down to the Cape of Good Hope. Here is their story in Motorrad magazine.

Back in Germany, they got back to work. Alper is a motorcycling tour guide. If you are a biker and want to head out to the best roads of Europe and Turkey, he’s your guy. Twice a year Alper takes his clients across Romania, so we jumped at the opportunity to get together. Exiting Bucharest I was filling up the tank with Romanian petrol (well… that’s a bit of a stretch, it was just a Romanian gas station) for the first time in quite a heck of a while. The price of petrol: 1,40 Euro/l. Ouch!

My Tenere was thirsty and it showed. As soon as the horizon opened, the race was on. We were meeting Alper in Curtea in a couple of hours. When we saw the KTM 690 Enduro we felt a tingle in the heart: the gang was reunited!
We had Romanian wine with pork steak, while the garage reeked of pickled cabbage. That’s what Romanian folk does with cabbage in autumn, making our neighbours suspect the biological war has started. No matter how many things we had to chat about, there was one word that kept creeping into our conversation: CONGO.
It had been the most difficult mental and physical challenge of our lives. It demanded everything. Weatherwise it was no joke: downpours, cotton mud, pockets of swampy water under layers of moving sand. Wearing the same damp muddy clothes and sleeping in a wet tent day in and day out. Most of the day was usually spent with orientation and assessing the terrain. When we were still reasonably sane. Once fatigue and stress took over, we become disorganized, less focused. We started to make mistakes. Then it was digging and operating whatever tool we could harvest to extract us from random swamps, trenches and holes. Finding food was a bit challenging. We subsisted on fruit & veg, insects, scavenged corn or nothing at all for parts of the journey, which was fine with us, but less fine for the kids. We bought pasta and rice three or four times and bread about 5 times during those 4 weeks. I remember the feasts we had in Mbuji Mayi and Kamina: it was not the nutrition, it was the diversity that lacked and that we were cheering back into our lives. But even though we have all described the trip on our respective blogs as ‘horrible’ and ‘crazy’, we enjoyed stretching our limits to new extremes. Congo made us stronger, more focused, albeit less prone to luxuriate in the modern amenities of ‘civilization’. Since Zambia there have been no more bug eating, no more digging for hours in swamps, no more sleeping in rainstorms. Ok, except for that weird Sudan storm, which maybe a brainiac out there could sometime explain to us. Is it crazy then that the two of us and Alper were still talking Congo hours past midnight?

Eight months ago our party of six adult and two kids had had an intimate encounter with the unseen Africa. All of us travellers secretly believed that the Wizard of that Oz could free us from our pole of prejudice, remove that routine rust, encourage us to disregard limits, help us rediscover our heart and our courage. We found indeed many adventures and overcame many obstacles on our journey together, just as we did on our separate ways, but most of all we found the Congolese, these special breed of people we knew next to nothing about. The Congolese are volcanic, resilient, relentless, and once you've showered in this, you're hooked. Eight months after returning from the African Land of Oz, we realised that the two of us and Alper are obsessed with our memories of it.

In the morning we said our goodbyes till next next time.We had a simple plan to make the best of our day: ride the Transfagarasan, arguably one of the best drives in Europe.

Hairpins, pine forests, naked rock, maybe a waterfall, a spring or a glacier lake. The staple on this infamous road built in the 70s. But there’s more to Transfagarasan than the call of the bends.
When I was a kid that's where I was spending most holidays. I remember climbing it on new year's eves, loaded with pots of Romanian dishes, snow up to my waist. It was crazy, it was fun. Me and Ana also have a thing with Transfagarasan, where we would escape during our busy years. There's this small waterfall we love, the weekends we would come braai, the full-throttle drives we pulled just for the sake of it, the sparrow-infested lake at the 166 m high dam. That’s where we started our climb, taking a right turn off the tar, into the forest.

We had left Bucharest without a map, with just a rough idea of how we would cut across, and chased this barren peak we would occasionally spot through the pines. We gave up control to the journey and let experiences materialize.

Coursing through we met this team of overlanders. They didn’t appear to own a GPS either.

We crossed into bear country.

The bears had finished harvesting the season’s berries, which can be clearly seen in the photo below. That means that in spite of the overzealous poachers, our bears are still hanging in there.

You’d never see me without a smile on my face on these empty roads. The smell of pine leaves and wild herbs crushed under the wheels give a soul tingling joy.

Like that.

And like that.

Or like that.

But a man’s gotta take a break at some point…

Especially before a climb

When the slope jumped the 45 degrees limit, my tires gave up and I needed a different bike for the task. Next time!

The mountain doesn’t only feed the soul, it also quenches the thirst. We stopped by a spring where a trailer had been parked. The owner must have been out with work. Our city-folk tendencies for inequity, waste and abuse of finite resources always seem vulgar in the face of such humble set-ups. We drank our water in the sun, thankful to the anonymous host and enjoyed being alive.

It was almost lunch time, so we turned back to Transfagarasan. The climb never fails to deliver. It's not a road you can easily summarize, except to say you'll invariably want seconds.

At 2040 m altitude there’s a glacier lake and a chalet. In winter it is only accessible from Brasov, but as the sun was up we enjoyed our meal on the terrace. Fresh trout, tripe soup, apple pie… Romanian stuff. Nothing too fancy, but if cooked with fresh ingredients and love, can be a welcome discovery. So if you’ve seen the Top Gear episode and you’ve perused the magazines, here’s another reason why you should not exclude Romania from your to-ride-list. Of course give us a shout out, ‘cause even if we’re not around, we can assist with a friendly couch and more.

Lots have changed within the year. There’s a heap of tourist activities being developed and the denizens and their traditional produce stalls have multiplied. Smoked bacon, sausages, cheeses, preserves etc. And no, this article has not been sponsored by the inept Romanian ministry of tourism.

Worrying a bit about the potential boom of the industry and of how it could bring down the charm of Transfagarasan – still a lonely road in my book – we started the descent back.

Nothing beats the views, the smell of wind threatening to take you down, the open valley where cloudscapes conglomerate. I’ve driven this road in all seasons and I think early June is best, when snow caps aren’t yet melted and the waterfalls are in full swing.

We took a peek at the abandoned mine

We stopped by our ‘place’, the Goat Falls. The sheep were being herded home by the handsomest canine militia.

It was a long ride to Bucharest, but we were glad to have such a tangible target to aim at. Home is a place of great meaning, where we can rest and where we can be near to people we care about. We have been away in the wilds of Africa for many months, we’ve seen a lot of amazing places and met many incredibly kind people, and now, after recharging with nature, we are hungry for more. There’s just a lot to sort out. I wonder if I can roll up my sleeves and make all the administrative bullshit that comes with it my bitch.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #367
Parigi
Hoinar

Oddometer: 279
Multumesc/Thank you Ionut, yesterday I received in Calgary the amazing print you sent me (#3 below).

Now, is getting cold in Bucharest, where are you and Ana off to next? I am looking forward to your next adventure. Noroc!
Parigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #368
Parigi
Hoinar

Oddometer: 279
Hey, I just saw this teaser, are you guys working on a DVD or something? If yes, sign me up for one

Teaser - Into The World Africa from Into The World on Vimeo.

Parigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #369
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwwwhite View Post
But a man’s gotta take a break at some point…

glad to see you guys are home safe and sound poluting you own areas ...tell me thats not the same Heidenau on the front of the bike from all the way around the dark continent?

as for me i'm still on the road, see below
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #370
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 256
mrwwwhite,

Absolutely outstanding adventure!

Your conveyance was not even Lonely planet...but full on National Geographic.

Thank you!

And what was the catchy song used in the teaser?
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #371
naza
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Olá, bom dia! Um grande abraço para ti e para a Ana!
You guys… I c’ant even process words in my mind to describe my feelings!
First of all: glad you’re home safe! And so many thanks, both of you, and all those people that helped you and became friends along the way, all of you made this trip come true! You are heroes to me! I’m sorry to tell you this but now I feel better about Romania cause of you…
Me and my boyfriend also love travelling on our bike, our biggest journey was 8.791 km, across central Europe in about 3 weeks, nothing compared to you…(http://www.vstromportugal.com/vstrom/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8207).
So, a friend of mine, send me your link, wow, that’s something beyond real, I could finally get to the last page; still gota go back and stop to read all the posts word by word, sometime…sorry, could not help to page down the fotos with hunger for more, your pictures tell the story...
How in the all world could you manage your belly with all that strange food, and deal whit all that wild animals, wild people, wild terrain, diseases, borders, greedy people, thieves, burglars...etc!?!?!?! It must’ve been hard…
I live in a small ‘’dot’’ in the middle of the Atlantic ocean and always felt somehow related to África, a land of people very down to earth like me, hopping some day to visit there. Maybe cause I’m portuguese and our ancestors discover basically the world, I love travel so much! I recognize many fruits that we also have here like avocado(pêra-abacate), passion fruit(maracujá), these are absolutely delicious to me…I think if i went there with you, my biggest problem would be the food, I hate spicy food but looove fruit, sea food and veggies! Oh oh oh and the pastries on SA as well…!
How many kms in the end?
Did you take any vaccine before the trip?
If you ever come to Portugal, please let us know!
Loved your birthday cakes, that’s wild baby!!!
Nice fellows!

To me this picture, resumes your adventure, it´s my favorite! Kinda represents the long way you had to go thru, the sun represents the joy and the dark represents all the bad things that happened to you! Wow, it just chills my spine…if you just could send me one autographed, it would’ve mean the world to me…!

Hey, you did spend so many time in Africa that you finally turn black!

This is one of the trip we love to do some day, we d’love to meet you, can we pleeease visit you by then!?!?!?!

Best regards, keep dreaming and making realty those dreams, we will be here to support you guys! Well done!
OBRIGADO!
naza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #372
pfdavidz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Wink

I would love to see more video from Congo(?) Being stuck in the crazy mud with the French(?) couple and their two kids. That must have been the worst and best experience at the same time. Your words really described the situation so well. I really felt as if i was kind of travelling with you guys. I ve been following for a few months. Congrats to you both and congrats on the writing. Did you ever consider a career out of that? Journalism, magazines, etc.....just saying.......-David Teaser - Into The World Africa from Into The World on Vimeo.
[/QUOTE]
pfdavidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #373
Rensen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Nice Journey
Rensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #374
nordy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Incredible !

I enjoyed reading and watching wonderful images. I learned a lot of things.

This travelogue was leave a lot of impression on me, but I will set aside one: bite the rope and climb up!
Thanks and stop by if you road ever lead you near the monastery Studenica.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #375
mrwwwhite OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenThere View Post
I was following this RR a couple of months ago - without a doubt the best written RR I've ever seen in here, and the photography is top notch, too!

I'm subscribing so I can go back and read the parts I missed - and so I'm ready when the next chapter begins!
cheers, hopefully we will not keep you hanging for long!