Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by texci77 View Post
This is exactly right, its not the fact that it got scratched, its the fact that is got scratched for $100 an hour. If I want my bike scratched I would do the work on it myself.
Yep. As a counter-example I took a wheel into a local independent to get a tire mounted because I didn't have time to do it myself before I left on a trip. When I went to pick it up, he said "terribly sorry, I put a little nick in your rim, so no charge, and I touched it up for you (it's black)". I just laughed and asked him how he decided which nick was his and which of the other dozen were mine

I argued about paying him since he's a small one-person shop, but he wouldn't take a nickel. That was the first time I'd used him, and I've given him repeat business, and will continue to do so. I couldn't have cared less about a little nick on a battered rim, but the fact that he owned up to it up front spoke volumes about his character.

A BMW dealer charging big $$ should not be scratching things on a new expensive bike, and when they do, they should own up to it and make it right. If they don't, it says a lot about the quality of their workmanship. You have to wonder how good a job they're doing on the parts that really matter.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #17
gsyogi OP
Seeker

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Yep. As a counter-example I took a wheel into a local independent to get a tire mounted because I didn't have time to do it myself before I left on a trip. When I went to pick it up, he said "terribly sorry, I put a little nick in your rim, so no charge, and I touched it up for you (it's black)". I just laughed and asked him how he decided which nick was his and which of the other dozen were mine

I argued about paying him since he's a small one-person shop, but he wouldn't take a nickel. That was the first time I'd used him, and I've given him repeat business, and will continue to do so. I couldn't have cared less about a little nick on a battered rim, but the fact that he owned up to it up front spoke volumes about his character.

A BMW dealer charging big $$ should not be scratching things on a new expensive bike, and when they do, they should own up to it and make it right. If they don't, it says a lot about the quality of their workmanship. You have to wonder how good a job they're doing on the parts that really matter.
Couldn't agree more (same goes for what texci77 said) ... that's how you are supposed to do business! The "[y]ou have to wonder how good a job they're doing on the parts that really matter" is the thing that bugs me most!
gsyogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #18
EPMD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsyogi View Post
I took my new '12 F 800 GS in to the local dealership for some minor service—an installation of some accessory lights—(<1600 miles, pristine) and it was returned with the obvious "tool marks"/scratches on the fairing (see pics below). These were DEFINITELY not on the bike when I dropped the bike off for service. Any suggestions on gauging my response to the dealership? I know that my GS will get scratched up in the future, but I kind of wanted to be the one to do the damage! Thanks in advance.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47845656/F%...%20%281%29.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47845656/F%...%20%282%29.jpg
I wouldn't do anything more than tell them those scratches weren't there before I brought the bike in, and that I am 100 percent certain they got there while the bike was in their shop.

And then I would also say, "I don't really care about these measly little scratches on a bike that I ride off road anyway, but you might want to let your guys know to take extra care since there are a few BMW owners who might flip out and write about it on widely read motorcycle forums."
EPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
My dealership always takes pictures of my bike from every angle before servicing. Now I see why
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #20
Kaw4Life
Busted Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,322
Do yourself a favor and let it go.

Seriously

... which part you focus on is up to you.
Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #21
Leap of Faith
My hand to the devil

Oddometer: 29
Let it go?

I am not one to stir any pots. Far from it, but when do we as consumers start to hold corporations responsible for there wrong doings. Even if damage is ridiculously minor and really in the big scheme of things doesn't really matter should we not at least let them know of there professionalism? I am sure they would claim any damages from us the consumer without hesitation. And no i do not ride only to Starbucks...
Old 11-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #22
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,151
So it's been over a month.
Did you ask them about the scratches?
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #23
EPMD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leap of Faith View Post
...when do we as consumers start to hold corporations responsible for there wrong doings.
I don't think this is when.
EPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #24
kpie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Hell yes .... tell the dealer that you expect them to fix/replace it. You didn't pay for their service expecting them to f&%*@ something up. I would settle for nothing less than replacement. I don't give a shit what anybody else thinks...it's your bike and if you are pissed about it.....tell the dealer!
kpie is offline   Reply With Quote