Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #136
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Glad to hear this positive response about a tw!....will be waiting for the awesome pics!!!
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #137
Parched
n00b

Oddometer: 1
TW200 in AZ, First post.

I looked at different bikes for about six months before deciding on the TW200. I ride almost daily, commute on it twice a week, live for quick errands, and all to rarely find time to hit the dusty trail for a mini adventure. I found this '87 with 6,750 miles on it, has over 12k now, and paid $550. Installed a Cyclerack rear rack, hand guards, new seat cover, new cdi, new sprockets and chain, and just got new tires. If you're in Phoenix area, I highly recommend a ride on the Apache Trail to Roosevelt Lake, and beyond if you have the time. This photo was taken on the way home from camping in the desert South of Phoenix-nice in the winter months.
Attached Images

Parched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #138
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Diablo......from what I've read,so far,you would have to change the front or rear sprocket....most change the rear(from what i've read)to a 47t or a 45t...this is down from the 50t OEM(at least on my 09).Still I think 65--70 mph is pushin it....for two hours; folks may chime in and refute what I'm saying(just going by what I've read....I'm still breakin mine in). With OEM everything on mine....and still not broke-in.....50mph seems like alot for the engine.AGAIN,mine is not broke-in! and other TW'ers will advise much higher speeds...it is a hearty little beast.Google TW200 and explore the forums....you'll see.
Just completed the rejet and needle raise on my 09......big difference,....50mph,NOT A PROBLEM NOW."seems like the rpm range has expanded since the rejet".
Old 12-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #139
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,966
Another bike I am adding to my list of "must buy".
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #140
luxlogs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Got my wife an 87, she don't ride it much but I have a ball on it. Needs footpegs and a clark tank then alls good.
82 R65LS
92 R100GS
luxlogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #141
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Oddometer: 154
Cool thread for a cool ride! Miles of smiles.

TWs are like a two wheeled Jeep Wrangler...... May not be fast but they'll go anywhere.

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Yamaha TW200, 2013 Honda CRF250L

I'm never lost... Because I'm always right where I'm at...
Kankujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #142
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,328
looks better than a rokon

do they all come with lovely ladies or are they extra?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #143
MotoManic
n00b

Oddometer: 5
1992 TW200 Franken-Husky-TW-bike

Found this 1992 TW locally for sale for $800 (I have not bought it.. yet), was my first encounter in real life with the type after years of pondering it online. Someone called it a "Frankenbike", haha, and it certainly is:

The front end is from a Husqvarna, and it has no turn signals. Somewhat beat up, but I was amazed that it started after just a few kicks (battery flat).

I'm most impressed at how light the bike is in terms of hoistability, I can imagine it would be dirt simple to wrestle back up again after a drop.

Never got to try it out, as I think the pilot jet is plugged after sitting for months, and the bike couldn't idle long enough for me to get it in gear.

Note the kick-starter lever hanging down -- the spring is gone inside, so you have to lift it up with your toe to use it each time. Is that an easy fix?

Am I barking up the wrong tree with this monster?
84 Yamaha Virago XV500

MotoManic screwed with this post 01-31-2012 at 02:44 AM
MotoManic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #144
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoManic View Post
Found this 1992 TW locally for sale for $800 (I have not bought it.. yet), was my first encounter in real life with the type after years of pondering it online. Someone called it a "Frankenbike", haha, and it certainly is:

The front end is from a Husqvarna, and it has no turn signals. Somewhat beat up, but I was amazed that it started after just a few kicks (battery flat).

I'm most impressed at how light the bike is in terms of hoistability, I can imagine it would be dirt simple to wrestle back up again after a drop.

Never got to try it out, as I think the pilot jet is plugged after sitting for months, and the bike couldn't idle long enough for me to get it in gear.

Note the kick-starter lever hanging down -- the spring is gone inside, so you have to lift it up with your toe to use it each time. Is that an easy fix?

Am I barking up the wrong tree with this monster?
Shouldn't be too much of a problem!...go for it!.....I'm aware this response is almost two month's late....
Old 05-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #145
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,293
After my post TWO YEARS AGO!, I sold some bikes and got two used TW's as planned. Two very low mileage ones.

Now they both have about 3000 or more.

It's a lot of fun.

Are they capable on the freeway? NO. Can you ride one on the freeeway? YES.

I ride mine about 40 miles on the freeway in traffic to my favourite off road area. I just do a steady 55 in the truck lane, usually shielded by a truck. I just follow a slow truck. I have done 70 but I don't like to hammer the bike like that.

It shines off road, and there gas capacity isn't a problem. I ride mine like a Trials bike...slow but never stop! It just goes and goes. Basically it's point and shoot.

One of my riding friends has a XT225. I do all he can do AND MORE. On road, even though he has six gears I race away from him easily. On tight paved roads I am sure you could scrape a knee, the stock tires are so grippy. I love to dash through the mountain roads and keep her spinning in fourth and fifth. Anyone that knows, knows it fun to ride a small slow bike fast! I normally ride a BMW R1150GS, so this is quite a departure.

I got the CycleRacks. Great guy to deal with. I can't find a use for the front rack after two years still! I bolted a big Dry bag on the rear, YES BOLTED, I put a thin metal plate inside the bag and bolted it through the rack. Colleen has taken a VERY heavy commercial sewing machine to town on her CycleRack in her dry bag! I also bolted two 'Tractor Tubes' under the rear rack on each bike.
Sometimes I also use my magnetic tank bag on my bike, it only falls off when I do!

We hopefully will head south on this continent very soon now we are retired. You should hear the arguments! I want to take the TW's, Colleen wants to take her BMW R1150GS! I think it would be a blast to ride the TW to Panama and then maybe beyond. YES, the bike is that capable.
We were in Alaska last year on our BMW's. We both wished for our TW's. We saw one on Main St in Dawson City! Brought a tear to my eye.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #146
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
After my post TWO YEARS AGO!, I sold some bikes and got two used TW's as planned. Two very low mileage ones.

Now they both have about 3000 or more.

It's a lot of fun.

Are they capable on the freeway? NO. Can you ride one on the freeeway? YES.

I ride mine about 40 miles on the freeway in traffic to my favourite off road area. I just do a steady 55 in the truck lane, usually shielded by a truck. I just follow a slow truck. I have done 70 but I don't like to hammer the bike like that.

It shines off road, and there gas capacity isn't a problem. I ride mine like a Trials bike...slow but never stop! It just goes and goes. Basically it's point and shoot.

One of my riding friends has a XT225. I do all he can do AND MORE. On road, even though he has six gears I race away from him easily. On tight paved roads I am sure you could scrape a knee, the stock tires are so grippy. I love to dash through the mountain roads and keep her spinning in fourth and fifth. Anyone that knows, knows it fun to ride a small slow bike fast! I normally ride a BMW R1150GS, so this is quite a departure.

I got the CycleRacks. Great guy to deal with. I can't find a use for the front rack after two years still! I bolted a big Dry bag on the rear, YES BOLTED, I put a thin metal plate inside the bag and bolted it through the rack. Colleen has taken a VERY heavy commercial sewing machine to town on her CycleRack in her dry bag! I also bolted two 'Tractor Tubes' under the rear rack on each bike.
Sometimes I also use my magnetic tank bag on my bike, it only falls off when I do!

We hopefully will head south on this continent very soon now we are retired. You should hear the arguments! I want to take the TW's, Colleen wants to take her BMW R1150GS! I think it would be a blast to ride the TW to Panama and then maybe beyond. YES, the bike is that capable.
We were in Alaska last year on our BMW's. We both wished for our TW's. We saw one on Main St in Dawson City! Brought a tear to my eye.
Great write up!

What do your beemer friends think? I'm thinking about taking my TW to the upcoming BMWmoa National Rally that will be here in Missouri next month.

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Yamaha TW200, 2013 Honda CRF250L

I'm never lost... Because I'm always right where I'm at...
Kankujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #147
ty.zardoz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Cool2 My 2008 TW250F bobber

Im not the builder.. I bought it from the po/builder. I think he did a great job !

tyz
ty.zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #148
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.zardoz View Post
Im not the builder.. I bought it from the po/builder. I think he did a great job !

tyz
EEEKKKKK!....that took some time and planning I bet!.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #149
RobertAmsterdam
www.twbastards.com

Oddometer: 187
hi!

testing exhausts

cheers!

TW-Bastards

and some riding:

Old 11-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #150
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

When you TW brethern get around to lubing the swing-arm(via the grease zerks) do you REALLY use the recommeded grease...lithium soap base grease....or do you use "whatever"?. TIA