Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
bonox OP
Tryin Hard

Oddometer: 2,932
6000 km for a dark sunrise

This was a week long run from Sydney to Cape Tribulation in Australia as a pilgrimage to see a total solar eclipse at least once in my list. Now complete, I enjoyed it so much i'm not quite ready to cross it off the bucket list :) While pretty busy for me, it's not really an epic ride report but a montage of outback Australia at the start of the wet season.

Rough guide to route is Sydney-Narrabri-Mungindi-St George-Roma-Emerald-Charters Towers-Atherton-Cairns-Cape Tribulation.
If you want to travel out west here, you need to accept the presence of animals on the road - some much bigger than others :)

It's also a long way in a straight line - I after 2000km of this I scared myself when a corner popped up!

The more mountain areas - highest local point only 300m ASL. Evidence of backburning everywhere

some still alight even in the rain.

The precursor to every storm looks like this

but sometimes you get more than you were expecting.

Plenty of ant hills to amuse you - lots of different styles, shapes and sizes and the colours change with the local dirt.

A map of less than 5% of the journey. It's not unusual to see signs like "No Fuel Next 240km" out here. And when you do get there, it had better not be after 4pm, or they'll all be closed!

Plenty of road trains about - dust and rocks spewing out the back and poo and piss streaming out the sides if they're full mean lots of entertainment for the rider.

bonox screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 03:23 PM
bonox is offline   Reply With Quote