User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #31
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
crusty chain of destruction

The chain was not even thinking about participating in the freewheel action.
So I picked up a DID chain to freshen it up.

I laid out the old chain next to the new chain to sorta' get a quick idea of just how much chain I would have to cut off.

Get the chain laid up and ready to add the safety link.

Always a good reminder as to which way the safety clip goes onto the chain.

Wacky thing was that the outer plate on the safety link did not want to fit onto the pins.
So I had to remove a link plate from the leftover chain.

CLEAN!

CLEAN!
=
BLING!

BLING!

Consulting the manual for the proper chain adjustment.
GCRad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #32
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Another little item that I discovered:

The front number panel seemed to be in a position that it would drop down on the front turn signals and at some point snapped one of them.

So I did a little cutting:

And some sanding smooth.

This way, if the front panel slides down again it will not break the turn signals.
But I never liked fake carbon anyhow...

So I went to the trusted source!

ACERBIS turn signals.

While I was at it I took a blown road bike [bicycle] tube as these are skinny:

Did some surgery on them...

And did a quick test wrap fitment:

Tested the adjustable clamp...

And basically made sure that the front panel will not slide down any more.

Added big industrial zip ties back around the plastic panel to hold it into place as well.

I like the panel all the way up as far up as it will go as it cuts the wind and yea, I'm a bit of the rally bike fan...

You know how it is, just piddling around in the garage..
Old 11-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #33
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hello Mr. De Wayne Jones Performance Suspension

Took the ATK for a test ride and noticed I had not gotten rid of my subtle little knock coming from the read end. Well, some of it from the wheel bearings, but not all of it, not the biggest part. Further inspection reviled it was coming from one of the bearings on the rear shock. I would think there would be more stress on the shock with no link system so this will be something to keep a closer eye on in the future. The little discoveries of owning a second hand bike.

When I bought the ATK 605, the suspension had the De Wayne Jones stickers and engraving on the forks and shock.
So I pulled it off and gave a call to the sticker and engraving that is on the shock. Figured I would at least start with where it had obviously been before...

I thought I would investigate this person by actually visiting the same place it was service previously. I made a call to De Wayne and knew I was going to be in for a treat as he gave me just a wee-bit of his background; Ohlins, mountain bike full-suspension development, Kenny Roberts, etc, etc, etc!
Then he told me, "I work out of my house, 37 years now!"
OK, I will admit, I was instantly skeptical, yet still very curious. So a visit was a must!

Hello Mr. De Wayne Jones

I meet up with him, but he had to take an important call. That gave me the moment to snap a few.

I was shocked and impressed upon arrival! 37-years worth of HISTORY in this two-car garage! But De Wayne is not just living in history, he is still making it with 3-Road Race and 4-Dirt Championship victory's from this workspace for 2011!

Some more images from the shop and all I can say is if you are ever seriously interesting in having suspension dialed it, De Wayne is the man with the math and the history. There is no one solution as there are quite a few great suspension companies out there but it is always great to discover gems like De Wayne!

Look closely, 2-stroke with a license plate in California! This is De Wayne's personal bike for the street and he still has race bikes that he races too!

Lots of history here, lots of modern phone calls, tech and race support happening behind the scenes!
I've always said it takes a little bit of the old school to make the new school faster.

As I brought my shock out to show him, he knew what is was of a ATK by the top and bottom of the shock. I thought that was cool as I know very little about these bikes.

My ATK 605 shock getting the works.

De Wayne Jones Performance Suspension
Three Generations of Racing EXPERIENCE

Give him a call at 909.626.2751
He will answer and if not he is either in the middle of working on something or our riding!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #34
Rot Box
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Cool! A street legal CR500--- I like Mr. De Wayne already haha. Either way I could hang out in a shop like that all day Thanks for posting!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #35
BronkoRob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Dewayne Jones is a living legend. I would have no issues with that man working on anything on anyone of my bikes. Him, his brother Gary, and father Don, are the R&D behind the first YZs. yamaha wasnt making a competitive out of the box motocross bike during the early 70s, so these guys took DTs and turned them into championship bikes! they pretty much created the first YZ.

check out the story. http://www.wsmchof.com/don-jones-yz-birth.html

pretty cool that you got to visit his shop. there has got to be a mind blowing amount of history in that garage!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #36
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

BronkoRob - THANK YOU FOR THAT LINK!!! WOW! That is an impressive history from the Jones family!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #37
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Front Fender Mod for MSR Spare Tube Bag

When riding out in the desert or anywhere as far as that matters, its a good idea to be prepared by having a spare tube. I have actually had rides saved by not having to cut it short due to flat tire. Same time I like to keep my backpack as light as possible as I tend to carry quite a lot.

With running a fender bag, I can take the weight of the spare tube out of my pack and onto the bike. The bike came with a rear seat bag and I keep a rear tube in there. And I like the MSR front fender bag and will keep a front tube in the front bag. Same setup as I run on my XR400. With the XR400 I learned real quick that I could not just strap the bag on and go as hard decelerations with slide the bag forward on the front fender. So I did some cut outs on the XR400's fender. On the ATK I will do a scratch different setup.

Here is the ATK's front fender ready to carry some payload.

I test-fit the bag and make some marks where the bag clamps to the fender.

I drill holes on each side of the clamps to run small zipties through the clamps into these holes.

Bag is mounted and zipties ready to be clipped.

New MSR HP tube ready to load and ready for some desert testing!

This is how I cut the fender on the XR400. It was the first time I mounted one of these fender bags:

I think with the way I did it on the ATK is going to make for a bit stronger front fender, not that it is an issue on the XR400, I just like the looks of how I did it this time on the ATK.

GCRad1 screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 11:27 PM