when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 1,997
Why
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #62
GusinCA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I have a 2010 WR250R, and today I sat on a 2013 KTM 350 EXC-F.
50 pounds is a big difference. I'm tempted, but since I ride alone in the middle of nowhere, reliability is a huge factor for me, and I keep hearing people say that the KTM's, reliable as they are, can't hold a candle to the solid titanium bulletproof 250 motor on the Yamaha.
I ride slow, but tight single track with very little street. Money isn't really a factor, so we'll see. Maybe next year... :)
GusinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #63
Starcha007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I sold my 2011 WR250R. It was a great bike which I really loved, but since my recent Moab Trip it truly lacked in torque and power. I decided to go with a Husky TE511. The 500 EXC was a close call, but the price is a little steep. Some of my friends bought the 500 EXC, but on a recent single trail trip one of them just died (electrical problem) and the other one overheated. That was at 22F temperature. By no means is the TE511 a perfect bike, but it suits me and my level of riding skill well, plus it's way more fun in the torque and horse power compartment compared to the WR250R. Is it a Dual Sport? No, it's (at least to me) a dirt bike with plates.
Starcha007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #64
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
TE449 / TE511 - Definitely Dirtbikes. Racing dirtbikes. With one of the narrowest range 6-speed transmissions ever made. Looks like all of that torque makes if very rideable though.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #65
GusinCA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
The thing that scares me away (the only thing) is the stories I hear from lots of KTM owners. I mean lots of KTM owners, dozens of whom I know personally, and even more on here or other boards. Lots of little problems, fuel pumps, stalling, electrical issues, the list goes on and on.

I have NEVER, not ONCE, EVER, even ONE SINGLE TIME heard of a SINGLE issue with the WR250R. Myabe I didn't capitalize enough of those words... :)
GusinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #66
Starcha007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Not a single issue on a WR 250R??? Do I have to say FUEL PUMP? Even on my 2011 the fuel pump went bad, just before my Moab Trip, so I had to take my Super Tenere down there, since we were riding all the way from Texas (2 of my friends KTMs didn't even make it to Moab, a 990 and a 690). We did rent lighter GasGas 300s in Moab and had a blast. That helped with the decision to sell the WR250R and buy something for the technical stuff but still street legal. My Super Tenere is for everything else.
Starcha007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #67
RTODAHL01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I had a wr250r and sold it after getting a 2011 TE449 Husky.
#1 thing the Husky is WAY more performance.
The WR is a nice little bike though.
Personaly I have 1000mi on my 449 no problems whatsoever.
#1 downside. 300mi oil change.
But smiles per miles WOW!
Check out my eagle creek ride on youtube.
100 to 200 mi days of serious riding no prob.
Just something else to think about.
I got mine out the door ready to ride for $6999
RTODAHL01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #68
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooltech View Post
Stock gearing is perfect as is. First gear...you have a trials bike, sixth gear you have 100 mph ( rapidly ).
Really? To quote the Wolfman in Dirt Rider, "stock gearing is on the moon. We went from the 45 to either a 48 or 50 and dropped a tooth on the front."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #69
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusinCA View Post
I have a 2010 WR250R, and today I sat on a 2013 KTM 350 EXC-F.
50 pounds is a big difference. I'm tempted, but since I ride alone in the middle of nowhere, reliability is a huge factor for me, and I keep hearing people say that the KTM's, reliable as they are, can't hold a candle to the solid titanium bulletproof 250 motor on the Yamaha.
I ride slow, but tight single track with very little street. Money isn't really a factor, so we'll see. Maybe next year... :)
I would guess mostly Yamaha dealers and riders would say the new KTM's just dont hold up,those who ride new KTM's mainly grin and enjoy the ride. If all your gonna do is putt around then any bike will work.
KTM's are made to work as good as modern technology will let them,not built to a strict budget by accountants and salespeople.

(riding alone in the middle of nowhere,no matter the bike,can end up with your name in the paper,once they find you anyways)
Old 12-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #70
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
Really? To quote the Wolfman in Dirt Rider, "stock gearing is on the moon. We went from the 45 to either a 48 or 50 and dropped a tooth on the front."
I have 14/50 on my 530,could still be a little lower to run second gear on singletrack. Stock is 15/45.
Mine will still touch 100mph with 14/50
Old 12-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #71
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTODAHL01 View Post
I had a wr250r and sold it after getting a 2011 TE449 Husky.
#1 thing the Husky is WAY more performance.
The WR is a nice little bike though.
Personaly I have 1000mi on my 449 no problems whatsoever.
#1 downside. 300mi oil change.
But smiles per miles WOW!
Check out my eagle creek ride on youtube.
100 to 200 mi days of serious riding no prob.
Just something else to think about.
I got mine out the door ready to ride for $6999
300 mile oil change.........Are you sure of that?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #72
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusinCA View Post
The thing that scares me away (the only thing) is the stories I hear from lots of KTM owners. I mean lots of KTM owners, dozens of whom I know personally, and even more on here or other boards. Lots of little problems, fuel pumps, stalling, electrical issues, the list goes on and on.

I have NEVER, not ONCE, EVER, even ONE SINGLE TIME heard of a SINGLE issue with the WR250R. Maybe I didn't capitalize enough of those words... :)
Get a 530,no fuel pump,no stalling,no electrical issues. Since 1978 Ive had 15 KTM's. Not a single one has had any sort of breakdown or left me stranded.
Ive blown Yamahas to tiny bits,but just from riding them too hard and too long.
I cant see myself on a 300 lb 250 4 stroke just for the 100% reliability,Id go sound asleep down the straights.
There's more to life then gauranteed reliability,besides,nothings gauranteed. Anything can break.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #73
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 926
I had. 530 exc which did show me the light to how great KTM is - bit for sure it had it's flaws. The main thing for me was for Northeast trail riding which tends to be slower - the bike constantly overheated and if stalled when hot - was impossible to start.

I guess it was partially the wrong tool for the job but still my experience.

I am probably going o get blasted for the following - but i have loved my BMW g450x for 3 seasons now! Granted I spent a lot of money on the suspension wptraxx in the rear and ohlins TTx in the front. But the bike has been flawless and the engine has supper smooth power.

There are some crazy deals to be had on these bikes given the lack of popularity.
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #74
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcha007 View Post
Not a single issue on a WR 250R??? Do I have to say FUEL PUMP? Even on my 2011 the fuel pump went bad, just before my Moab Trip, so I had to take my Super Tenere down there, since we were riding all the way from Texas (2 of my friends KTMs didn't even make it to Moab, a 990 and a 690). We did rent lighter GasGas 300s in Moab and had a blast. That helped with the decision to sell the WR250R and buy something for the technical stuff but still street legal. My Super Tenere is for everything else.
Any bike with a tiny, low spec, in-tank fuel pump will likely someday stall in bfe. I don't care what hood ornament is on it, that is a characteristic of a motorcycle FI pump system. Husky, Yamaha, KTM, Husaberg, and probably others. My wr250r has done it, so have others. There are better pumps available, but Yamaha doesn't seem to care.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #75
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,196
my buddy just bought a '10 450 SixDays for $3k w/a pretty much new trailer hitch rack and some other stuff thrown in.... smokin' dealio, so they're out there.... i got a 3yr old 450SMR w/alot of stuff on it for $4k a couple of years ago.... i like to shop, and i'm cheap, so.... dunno if i'd drop 9k on a new one, but i don't have that kinda bread..... i always gotta laugh at everybody freakin' about valve adjustments, like it's rocket science.... i love to work on mine, turning it into a dirtbike now, so i got everything.... any type of high performance bike you're gonna have to get involved with, so.... had looked at a DRZ previously, but it sounded like a lawn mower, so it turned me off.... if you don't like messing w/them some, i can see getting a simpler bike.... but you really can't argue w/the performance aspect, killer motor, excellent suspension, design, etc.... the one my buddy just bought is sweet, and it's even got the magic button!... jetted way too lean though, and he's another one that doesn't wanna change anything.... whatever....
davesupreme is online now   Reply With Quote