Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #361
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,300
I had a DRZ400E. Am weekend adventurer. Rode everything from street to extreme rock garden crawler uphills.

Bought a KTM 450EXC.......... never looked back.

Maintenance hasn't been an issue. If you ride like I do, you're always maintaining them anyways.

Change oil more frequently...... so what, takes 10 minutes.

Valve checks..... I rail the shit out of the bike and have only adjusted them once in 150?? hours

LOVE the bike . . . . . 6 speed is nice too.... cruise at 60mph at 1/4 throttle?
Old 11-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #362
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Any chance there's a CRF450L under one of those covers?

(Just noticed on the Honda web site, the new 250L is priced $500 less than the ol' air cooled 230L. Hmmmm.)
Old 11-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #363
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post

(Just noticed on the Honda web site, the new 250L is priced $500 less than the ol' air cooled 230L. Hmmmm.)
It's also taller and not-just-slightly heavier. 'Great move for a bike in a "starter niche"....NOT.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #364
tokyoklahoma OP
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,374
Bluhduh Good Luck

It looks like four choppers, a bagger, and something else.

I wish they would do a Crf450l.
tokyoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #365
sweetlu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
CrossTourer, CrossTourer, CrossTourer
sweetlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #366
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,537
Quote:

What I noticed on the Honda site for 2013 is that they have turned adventure bike into a marketing slogan for errand runners. There is no way in hell the 700X or 500X are even the slightest bit offroad capable. Unless your definition of offf-road is merely off-pavement and even that is a stretch.

Thank you Honda for trying to convince us that two wheeled Civics are adventure bikes. I don't care that Honda has decided that cheap UJM's are the future and I hope they sell like Happy Meals. After all, we can't have too many people on two wheels. But, for the love of God, please call them what they are: commuter bikes.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 06:44 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #367
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
What I noticed on the Honda site for 2013 is that they have turned adventure bike into a marketing slogan for errand runners. There is no way in hell the 700X or 500X are even the slightest bit offroad capable. Unless your definition of offf-road is merely off-pavement and even that is a stretch.

Thank you Honda for trying to convince us that two wheeled Civics are adventure bikes. I don't care that Honda has decided that cheap UJM's are the future and I hope they sell like Happy Meals. After all, we can't have too many people on two wheels. But, for the love of God, please call them what they are: commuter bikes.
Gotta agree, 'Dog. I really like the 700X motor but the rest leaves me cold.

We know Honda has a CRF450L for January's Dakar. Sure hope all that work eventually makes its way into a production machine. Sure, they say it's based on a production bike, but what exactly have they done to make it reliable over the long haul?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #368
tokyoklahoma OP
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,374
Thumb midsize

At least they finally brought some midsize bikes for beginner riders to buy. The 250-300s are just a tad too small for American freeways, and the 600-650s can be a handful for a noob.
Honda should own the segment for a few years.
Plus a bunch of 500s in the parts bins might bleed over to the ADV segment.
I'm glad they brought the UJM CB1100 here too, I dig that bike's look.
tokyoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #369
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,784
I like that cb too!!!
Old 11-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #370
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoklahoma View Post
It looks like four choppers, a bagger, and something else.

I wish they would do a Crf450l.
they should fit the 450 motor in to the crf250 frame so it will have a seat hight of about 33inch so short ass like me could ride one.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #371
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Came across a reference to a Brazilian Honda, XRE300. While reading that came across another reference to the Honda Nx 400 Falcon. Never had heard of either of these models. Anyhoo, this thread on Horizons Unlimited has some info, and the note toward the bottom about the India Royal Infield just cracked me up.

Sure wish we could get access to more of these models. The Nx 400 is sold in Costa Rica as well as other South American countries. I can title virtually anything in AZ, wonder if I could get one delivered here in the box?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #372
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Came across a reference to a Brazilian Honda, XRE300. While reading that came across another reference to the Honda Nx 400 Falcon. Never had heard of either of these models. Anyhoo, this thread on Horizons Unlimited has some info, and the note toward the bottom about the India Royal Infield just cracked me up.

Sure wish we could get access to more of these models. The Nx 400 is sold in Costa Rica as well as other South American countries.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #373
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Sure wish we could get access to more of these models. The Nx 400 is sold in Costa Rica as well as other South American countries.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #374
Anywhereness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
FWIW, I have a 2001 KTM 640E right now. I would have liked a 400cc bike that's 100lbs lighter, but there was so much prep (re: expense and time) to "adventurize" it. The 640 is MUCH more capable of a bike than I am, and it's clear to me that a more experienced rider would be able to take advantage of it more off road and whip it around like a 400cc.

But, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the big bikes are great road/dirt bikes as long as you don't get off into tight singletracks much. I've taken this big bike with limited skills in places it surprised me to be that it got out of.

My next adventure bike is probably going to be a 400EXEC setup with more oil capacity, increased valve reliability and a reinforced subframe, including all the usual suspects like bigger tank, misc luggage things, etc. I would like to take the 400 in places more easily (re: more fun) than the big bike. That's a long ways off though, as I'm really enjoying the 640 and it's capabilities.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #375
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Quote:

I used to own one, the Falcon is just an XR400 with e-start, cushdrive and ugly plastics. They also changed the airfilter so it sucks in shitloads of dust causing your carburettor to malfunction on a regular basis if you ride in dirt. The WR250R/X will do everything the Falcon and also do it much much faster with less service intervals. Also the XRE300 has a shit rep from the Brazilians I've spoken to, full of engineering faults.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote