Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #91
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
If someone else was interested in selling everything and hittin' the road like you are, what should that person figure on spending per day to be comfortable? Camping some and staying in decent lodging sometimes.

Food fuel and wear and tear on a bike to be included. This has been a great thread to follow, keep on truckin'. (biking)
You know, I was a little concerned when my first couple of month's Visa bills were coming in at $2700 and $2500 respectively. This had me concerned but, truthfully it's been so up and down that it really is hard to keep a handle on. You figure your gonna pay $15 or $20 for campsites and you end up in the Keys paying up to $43. Then you inadvertantly run into the Sturgess crowd and all your $60 motel rooms are gone, it's gettin dark and your forced into the Holiday Inn at $180.
But I do remember putting that question out to BC Brian when he headed out on his Buell run. He had it worked out pretty good. You might want to peruse that one. The thread was A BC Buell Goes South

Toadride screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 05:45 PM
Toadride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #92
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Time Zone Weirdness.

Wow. This deserves an honorable mention. Since taking up residence in PCB, I've had weird clock things happening. I three devices that are either GPS related or should automatically adjust to time zones. First, my computer, that was not jibing with the time on the tv. When I checked into it, it was showing central (Chicago time) and wasn't matching my Iphone time. Now, in all fairness I have to say that it just didn't occur to me that I would be changing time zones so quickly down here in Florida. So, going on the assumption I was still in the east, I started looking into what was wrong with my Iphone. Googling that came up with an anomaly that many people have with it and a supposed fix involving turning the automatic time adjustment off and back on when synced to Itunes. It seemed to have worked but the next day I noticed it was, again, an hour out. So, I set it to Miami time with the auto feature off.
The other device is my Nuvi. Having to run the bike back to Tallahassee, I had concerns about trip time and beating the dark and, or, any rain back here. It was noon so I figures, a couple hrs there, one hr visit, a couple of hrs back. Ya, I can squeak it in. So, off I go but looking down at the GPS and the bike clock I notice an hour diff between the two. So, how did that get like that? Whatever.
Then, of course, I'm on the road for an hour and realize I've lost an hour. Long story short, I end up travelling back in the dark in Panama city rush hour with real bad viz trying to look thru a badly scratched up face shield. I made it but the time zone thing finally clicked and the Google thing to find out I am sitting right beside a 'Time Zone Anomaly'. Not sure how this works but it is beyond me why the dividing line does not just drop straight down to the coast. I mean it actually surrounds one small town on three sides just west of Panama City.
So if I want to get to a shop around here at opening hours, I may just be an hour early if I don't check first.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #93
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 947
The other potential gottcha with the Garmin is that it displays the arrival time in the time zone you will be in when you arrive. I know that got exciting to me one evening out in the middle of F"n nowhere when I ended up with 50 miles to the closest gas station and about 40 miles of fuel. Fortunately at 40mph the mileage was enough that the Honda Shadow made it into town. Put 3.9 gallons into a 3.5 gallon tank.

One of these days I may actually read the instruction manual for that gizmo, but I doubt that's in there.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #94
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
The other potential gottcha with the Garmin is that it displays the arrival time in the time zone you will be in when you arrive. I know that got exciting to me one evening out in the middle of F"n nowhere when I ended up with 50 miles to the closest gas station and about 40 miles of fuel. Fortunately at 40mph the mileage was enough that the Honda Shadow made it into town. Put 3.9 gallons into a 3.5 gallon tank.
One of these days I may actually read the instruction manual for that gizmo, but I doubt that's in there.

jdg
I hear ya, JD. My first Garmin was a Zumo 450. Nothing fancy. $200 savings over the 550 with its Blutooth and XM Radio, two items I had no use for. The maps were great and the computer software was adequate. This time I looked around a bit, checked out TomTom and was a little scared away by reviews. I didn't want to throw down 7 or 800 bucks on the higher end versons of Garmin and went for the Nuvi 220. I guess you get what you pay for with the first unit being returned with a cracked case a few weeks into it and a whole replacement debacle taking place. But still, the two or three weeks without it I felt lost.
But I feel the new Basecamp map system doesn't hold a candle to the old and you get this totally bogus Global map on the Pooter unless you plug in the Nuvi. Then it overlays with the Navigator map. Annoying.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #95
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
This time I looked around a bit, checked out TomTom and was a little scared away by reviews.
Good thing.

The Norge comes wired from the factory for the TomTom so I purchased one when I got the bike. It was adequate for getting from point A to point B along primary roads. It is not so good for building a route - in fact, it's horrible at that. The unit will only hold 100 way points, iirc, and the TomTom mapping software really sucks. Using a third party piece of software helps but still cannot overcome the TomTom limitations. This last year they ceased selling and supporting motorcycle specific units here in the states. The cradle goes bad at around two years of use. This seems to be a known issues but has gone unaddressed by the company. You can purchase a new cradle from TomTom UK for $100 plus shipping. Replacement parts for the Rider series have never been available from the US distributor - I always had to order from the UK.

Purchasing a slightly used Zumo 660 was one of the better choices I've made lately.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #96
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Hello From Panama City Beach

This isn't a ride report per se but I felt it necessary to let my seven readers know wazza happenin.
I took this stopover to 1. try to slow down the overspending a little bit. 2. get the Big Gal straightened out in a location that, altho not close, is what might be called close for MG owners. And 3. to basically hole up till the start of the second half of my journey which will include riding the Gulf Coast as far as Corpus Cristi, heading north as far as Austin (always wanted to attend an Austin City Limits and am damned sad I missed the US Grand Prix), turning west and heading for a stop over for Christmas and New Years at my friend's place in Arizona, continuing on to the San Diego area for maybe another regroup, and then slowly up the coast to see friends in the Carmel Valley and Santa Cruz areas before slowly making my way back to Canada for the end of March.
I've barely ridden the loaner and content myself with the daily beach walks and swims.( Yes, swims. I've been in a few times. The locals call it cold around here but the water is warmerr than the Great Lakes in the summer time so I don't mind.)
It's funny how this beautiful sand is colder than the water

And still the sunsets abound

Basically just me and the birds most of the time

Saw a couple of rays scatter from the short when I approached once. And I know the big fellas are out there.

Even tho the water is this clear
I guess both my age and stupidity have dealt me the 'senior moment' blow as I lost my $800 bifocals left on my head when I was wading. Three different strengths of reading glasses just ain't makin it but I have found a cheap glasses place in Panama City with free exam that I will be visiting on Monday.
The other thing I am trying to get straightened out is my cell data usage. Twice now I have contacted my provider in Canada (Telus) to change plans that would keep me from going deep in pocket to pay for them. Unfortunately I mistook monthly to mean from beginning to end of. And they make you instigate it monthly yourself saying it has to be renewed monthly. Aparrently it ran out on the 27th and I rebooked it on the 30th. Those three day were supposed to have cost me an extra $300+. After a long conversation, they said they are going to 'help me out.' Don't know what that means but I've got to get a handle on this data thing. God! I hate it!
The sunsets continue to knock me out

and the small crowds that seem to have gathered at places like this around me are certainly no bother at all.

One night I tried the Margueritaville place that Kedgi had mentioned and found it way too expensive for my tastes. Another place down there called Dustys, I think. I saw cars at and dropped in Friday night to find I couldn't get in the door. No bother, I'm happy with cooking at home. I guess the Thanksgiving weekend has thrown a bit of a wrench into the works for me as I havent heard from the bike shop in a week now. First it was a matter of me getting hold of customer Care to argue my case for warranty replacement of the rotors and, I guess because of more storms in New York, that took a while. They said they would get back to me the next day and didn't. Then, with thanksgiving on Thursday, I guess Danny's shop shut down to maybe next Tuesday so I am just waiting. Long as I have a new bike (OK, a healthy bike) by the 8th which is when I carry on, I'll be happy.
Till then, unless something spectacular happens around here, (I did see smoke way down the coast when that F22 crashed but that could have been anything) you prolly won't hear from me much. Just pretend your Kedgi like I do and enjoy that bastard's trip.
Seriously, I am totally envious..
Old 11-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #97
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Quote:
The other thing I am trying to get straightened out is my cell data usage. Twice now I have contacted my provider in Canada (Telus) to change plans that would keep me from going deep in pocket to pay for them. Unfortunately I mistook monthly to mean from beginning to end of. And they make you instigate it monthly yourself saying it has to be renewed monthly. Aparrently it ran out on the 27th and I rebooked it on the 30th. Those three day were supposed to have cost me an extra $300+. After a long conversation, they said they are going to 'help me out.' Don't know what that means but I've got to get a handle on this data thing. God! I hate it!
It might be worth your while to get a local phone while you are in the states. Use it primarily or only for data. You might save a bunch of cash. Also, don't forget that Starbucks and McDonald's, among others, almost always have free WiFi available, as do many public libraries.

Great trip, and hopefully when you make it to SoCal we can meet up for a bit of a ride or a meal. If we can get hold of one more Guzzi owner, we'll call it a rally

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
Old 11-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #98
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

U..are..on, JD.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #99
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

On The Road?

I can only hope. I am now on my sixth week here because the shop I gave my bike to a good five weeks ago has the forks apart and is still waiting for parts. I suppose it's partially my fault with telling them I was hanging in for a month and go ahead and do all the warranty shit and, with going back and forth with Customer Care just to be finally refused on replacing the warped rotors. But really! Weeks ago I was told the fork parts were coming in and as of last Friday I was told they would be here today. Talk about being held hostage! Haven't even been able to get the bike because the forks are lying apart. As for the exhaust leaks and near stalling problem? Not much feedback on that. Can only hope hat will be fixed. So, I sit and wait for a phone call or text hoping only that this fiasco ends this week. My plans to meet my friend Peter in Arizona for Christmas look like they won't happen and if I do get the bike back, I will prolly have to forgo the coastal route to Corpus Christie just to get to Arizona before the new year. I mean, it's not a bad place to be holed up. And, if I decided to hang for another month my new Crisstian friend Bill

says I could get a decent enough efficiency apt at the Christian Retreat next door for $450, which is half of what I am paying here.
I have been learning tho. There is no way I am riding into any of the thunderstorms we've had lately. Being a northern boy i haven't had the opportunity of observing some of these tropical deluges and am learning to track them with the animated doppler maps on the pooter. The only good thing is they seem to come and go quickly within a few hours but if I got caught in one while riding I would prolly be washed right off the road. Here's a pic of what comes out of the west and a quick vid out of my door.

If you click the rain pic, it comes alive.
The pisser is I have missed my window of opportunity. I am looking way out there at "Draco" (Where the Hell do they get these names?) Looks like it is going to be pushing for the weekend. Right now it is a beautiful sunny day here and will prolly get up to about 75.
So, I continue to enjoy the wildlife. Everything from wierd snails,
monster flocks of Pelicans ( I love these birds as they are not part of our lives up in the PNW)

Ospreys (a type of which I had never seen live)
and all the things I have not been able to catch with my shitty camera and Iphone. Like Dolphins and even a shark.
Strange bugs

And the sunsets are still kicking ass.

And as I type Danny has texted me saying as soon as the parts show today he will text me. So, once again, fingers crossed.

Toadride screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 04:07 PM
Toadride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #100
BC Brian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Bummer your bike is still down.

But, like you say, you could be stuck somewhere a lot worse

Looking forward to you getting back on the road and reading more of your RR

Brian
BC Brian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #101
GerryM
On the road again

Oddometer: 15
Just wanted to let you know that I found this thread about an hour ago. I guess you can officially bump your readership to eight now.

I am definitely a fan and envious as hell. Thanks for putting this up and keeping us posted. Hope the parts are in and you're back on the road.

Gerry
GerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #102
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 864
Add 1 more follower

Great ride and photos. Too bad the bike is having so many issues, I rode my 09 Stelvio all over the country it's first year with zero issues (appx 20Ks) with good initial service in NC and then on the road in Seattle at Moto International. They are a great bike and hopefully now between the shop and you putting up with parts delays you will have her sorted and can enjoy the rest of the trip with just routine care. There are a couple "go to" Guzzi shops around the country and it would be worth it to check on GuzziTech to get their numbers and addresses so you could take BG to them if she still is being fussy.

Safe travels and thanks for taking us along.
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #103
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Hey Toad,
I love reading your ride report. I would be pissed with the bike situation.
You have more patients then me. I guess the NA reps from Motto Guzzi
don't read ADV forums. They should have a factory team getting you back on the road.
Wish you luck from Canada.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:22 AM   #104
Cat City Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Typical Guzzi. It'll all get sorted out.
When you get to So. California, Look up Todd Egan at guzzitech.com
Old 12-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #105
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for all your replies. I have had several conversations with Todd and intend to pay him a visit. But this is now two days after my last post with no word form the Guz dealer. I have to check out of here tomorrow morn and am actually toying with the idea of moving over to the Christian motel (might even be able to get a third story beach room for at least 2 bills less than I am paying now) and hangin up my spurs for two more months. I mean the final destination is back in BC and I sure can't head that way for a while. And I just have no desire to deal with all the crap you have to go thru to go south of here. We will see.