User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #766
MotorCade
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 457
Klx

Fixed a KLX 110 (my son's) like it was a KLR.

He dropped his bike on the first day out and broke the shifter peg off the lever. I dug through the tool bag and found a ducati spark plug tool and a small screwdriver. I bent the screwdriver and hammered the first bit of plastic through the hole, and then hammered the whole assembly onto the shift lever. the lever butts up against the screwdriver inside the tube, and doesn't move around. It was enough to get us through the weekend's riding.

IMG_4734 by MotorCade77, on Flickr
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #767
heavy Cy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
VW Type3 broken throttle cable

I still laugh about my buddys K.B. and John coming back from a bicycle race in StLouis thirty years ago in K.B.'s VW Type3 Squareback. When the throttle cable broke, they slid the engine hatch cover off and clamped the cable with a pair of Vicegrips. John, facing backwards, stretched over the back seat and worked the Vicegrip throttle based on K.B's panicked audibles "MORE!", "LESS!!", "LET OFF!" as K.B. worked the clutch, shifter, and brakes. They made it home through 45 minutes of hot and humid StLouis summertime stop-and-go construction congestion! Ya gotta love it!
heavy Cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #768
FixerDave
KLR-650

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
Fixed a KLX 110 (my son's) like it was a KLR. ... It was enough to get us through the weekend's riding...
If teaching a kid to ride is about instilling life-lessons, your son just learned the best there is.

If doing it right leaves you with nothing... do it another way and keep having fun!

Now you just have to teach him that doing it right when there's time will help keep the next weekend fun too.

David...
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #769
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy Cy View Post
I still laugh about my buddys K.B. and John coming back from a bicycle race in StLouis thirty years ago in K.B.'s VW Type3 Squareback. When the throttle cable broke, they slid the engine hatch cover off and clamped the cable with a pair of Vicegrips. John, facing backwards, stretched over the back seat and worked the Vicegrip throttle based on K.B's panicked audibles "MORE!", "LESS!!", "LET OFF!" as K.B. worked the clutch, shifter, and brakes. They made it home through 45 minutes of hot and humid StLouis summertime stop-and-go construction congestion! Ya gotta love it!
Years ago my boss described having broken throttle cable on his Beetle while on a trip to Maine. He tied some twine to the throttle arm (which rotates towards the rear of the car when the throttle us opened), ran the twine out through a vent slit in the engine cover, over the roof, and tied it to his left index finger. He drove all the way back to Boston this way, using his right hand to steer and shift.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #770
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
The throtle cable history reminds me of another McGyver moment.

Had an Honda MB-100 which has a bigger carb (XR125 I guess) and had the choke lever installed in the left handlebar with a MTB brake lever (as it was a decomp lever, get the pic?)

My GF asked to drive a little as we was in a non traffic backroad, so I let her just to hear the little bike go biim biim biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and note GF was fighting her right arm "It won't accelerate" she screams while pulling over. Took a quick check and the throtle cable has come out the throtle assy with as the hitch stretched out (she pulled the throtle way too much and kept forcing it) so I tried to fix it, but every time you accelerated the cable come off. So I scratched my head give a quick look around the bike and BINGO took the choke lever, move it to the right grabbed a cable end (the brass thingy with a screw) cut the cable and fix it to the lever so I had a finger throtle.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #771
MotorCade
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerDave View Post
If teaching a kid to ride is about instilling life-lessons, your son just learned the best there is.

If doing it right leaves you with nothing... do it another way and keep having fun!

Now you just have to teach him that doing it right when there's time will help keep the next weekend fun too.

David...
Thanks! He had to dig in his piggy bank for his own funds, and he bought a replacement shift lever with a folding tip for next time. We install it tonight.
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #772
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanum View Post
Heat shrink works well to keep shoe string ends from unraveling as well. That cheap crap little plastic OEM shoe string end protector just does not cut it.
It's called an aglet

(Thanks Phineas and Ferb)
Old 10-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #773
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Power just went out during hurricane sandy. Before setting up the generator I took a flashlight and taped it to the bottom of a water bottle filled with water. Makes an instant lantern.

planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #774
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 669
TidyCat Panniers

I saw this one on my way to get a pizza tonight:

I thought "where did he get yellow panniers" right up until I saw the logo on the side...

IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #775
Bob_M
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Power just went out during hurricane sandy. Before setting up the generator I took a flashlight and taped it to the bottom of a water bottle filled with water. Makes an instant lantern.

Thats brilliant.

Great idea.

1996 Gas Gas JTR270, 2001 Ducati ST4
1977 Honda 750F2, 1970 Honda QA50
Bob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #776
zeerx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
as i was unloading a bike from the truck in a downpour...i nearly slipped and busted my ass on the wood ramps. Luckily i was home and could grab my trusty dewalt drill and a handful of screws. I spent about 15 minutes driving approx 50 screws into the ramp i needed to walk down. I put them in as rows of 6 accross the board and spaced the rows 6 inches apart all the way down the board. I noticed that i had to back out a few screws since the driver tended to countersink the head. When they were all in and above the surface of the board, it turned a wet slippery board into a nice easy to walk on surface.

I had the same problem. Just stapled some roofing shingles. Super grip.
'66 CL77
'12 F150 (Ford)
zeerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #777
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
I saw this one on my way to get a pizza tonight:

I thought "where did he get yellow panniers" right up until I saw the logo on the side...

Long ago, some boy scouts wanted to have storm-proof, extra large backpacks for staying in the backcountry longer. They took some ordinary pack frames and mounted large, tough, plastic kitchen garbage containers to them. Not the round containers but the squarish ones. These things pre-dated tupperware with the snap on lids. The scouts just threw a piece of oilcloth over the top opening with a turn of rope to keep it there.
Sometime later, I saw bicycle pannier baskets that folded flat against the bicycle when not needed. With that idea, I wondered what it would take to craft such baskets to accept some useful sized plastic containers? If the plastic containers are sized to be common and cheap, it might be easy to crash 'em and buy new ones at a big box store. Farm & Fleet sells nice tough feed bins in various sizes.
No, I am not a KLR rider. But I do like that down&dirty, proven-tough, post-apocaliptical look as it wards off those pretentious GS clowns. Kitty Litter panniers with a cuppla ADV stickers looks like useful pretty good fun to me.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #778
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post

I do that all the time for night hiking when I go with friends.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #779
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Or better yet, don't have any keys except the bikes ignition key on the ring. This way you don't have to worry at all about scratches...
I need one other key in addition to my ignition key, the key for my top case.

What I do is screw them tightly together with a small nut and machine screw, and grind off any protruding screw past the nut. I assemble them together at about a 120deg angle, so they clear everything, and the ignition key can turn in the lock.

The other key touches nothing, so no scratches, but is always available. No problem with the small keys in my pocket.

Also, as on all my bikes, an extra set is hidden inside the headlight shell, inconspicuously taped with black electrical tape to other black taped wires.

The hidden keys saved my butt big time in Europe once.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #780
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
Bucket List

Here's a link from the CIty of Portland OR on how to make your own kitty litter buckets.
http://www.portlandoregon.gov/transp.../250784#bucket

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote