Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #2116
rc51owner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Questions...

Hey Roger,

so I have a question regarding the use of the Pelican 1440 top loading cases. I know that they are listed on your site in the Hepco Becker rack section. I have a set of SW-Motech racks for my Triumph 1200 explorer. Would these cases work with the Hepco Becker adapter plate for the SW-Motech racks?

Another question: Looking at replacing the quick detach mounts on the racks and see that your lock-it kit would cost $30 to ship to Canada. For a $30 part that seems excessive. Is this really what you charge to ship the kit to Canada?

Regards,

M
rc51owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #2117
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51owner View Post
Hey Roger,

so I have a question regarding the use of the Pelican 1440 top loading cases. I know that they are listed on your site in the Hepco Becker rack section. I have a set of SW-Motech racks for my Triumph 1200 explorer. Would these cases work with the Hepco Becker adapter plate for the SW-Motech racks?

Another question: Looking at replacing the quick detach mounts on the racks and see that your lock-it kit would cost $30 to ship to Canada. For a $30 part that seems excessive. Is this really what you charge to ship the kit to Canada?

Regards,

M
Hello,

The Top Loading cases will not work with racks that have the latch at the top - such as SW Motech and Givi. The fins and hinge on the back of the case interferes with the latch. The HB racks are fine because the latch is at the rear of the rack.

Shipping to Canada is rather expensive even via the low cost USPS Priority Mail, and we do all the customs paperwork.

Thank you.

roger
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #2118
rc51owner
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases View Post
Hello,

The Top Loading cases will not work with racks that have the latch at the top - such as SW Motech and Givi. The fins and hinge on the back of the case interferes with the latch. The HB racks are fine because the latch is at the rear of the rack.

Shipping to Canada is rather expensive even via the low cost USPS Priority Mail, and we do all the customs paperwork.

Thank you.

roger
Sorry but maybe I didn't make myself clear. There is an adapter for the SW-Motech racks to mount Hepco Becker luggage on these racks. These have the latches on the side to mate up with the hepco becker luggage mount points. With these adapters is it possible to mount the Pelican 1440 cases?

Your explaination about the cost of sending a few bolts to Canada seem incredulous. But I guess it is what it is...

Regards,

M
Old 11-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #2119
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51owner View Post
Your explaination about the cost of sending a few bolts to Canada seem incredulous. But I guess it is what it is...

Regards,

M
In our hard bolt kit there are 8 each M8 bolts, nuts, spacers, and 16 fender washers. Customs forms are also required. It all adds up. If you order it with a set of cases and mounts we can put it all in one box and reduce overall shipping costs. Or, we can ship it UPS instead of USPS Priority and it will cost a small fortune and probably not make it. USPS Priority is the least cost and most reliable shipping method to Canada. I suggest you ask around and get a second opinion. I think you will find we are spot on correct.

We've never tried putting a set of our top loading cases on Motech racks as you describe, so I cannot say for certain it will work or that it will hold up. Our front cleat bracket is designed to grab the round tube of an HB rack, so I don't think it will work with the Motech rack. We recommend HB racks for the top loaders because they are very strong and proven, and I would not use any other rack for these cases.

Thank you.

-rog
Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #2120
rc51owner
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
In our hard bolt kit there are 8 each M8 bolts, nuts, spacers, and 16 fender washers. Customs forms are also required. It all adds up. If you order it with a set of cases and mounts we can put it all in one box and reduce overall shipping costs. Or, we can ship it UPS instead of USPS Priority and it will cost a small fortune and probably not make it. USPS Priority is the least cost and most reliable shipping method to Canada. I suggest you ask around and get a second opinion. I think you will find we are spot on correct.

We've never tried putting a set of our top loading cases on Motech racks as you describe, so I cannot say for certain it will work or that it will hold up. Our front cleat bracket is designed to grab the round tube of an HB rack, so I don't think it will work with the Motech rack. We recommend HB racks for the top loaders because they are very strong and proven, and I would not use any other rack for these cases.

Thank you.

-rog
Hey Roger,

Thank you for your thoughts on using the top loading Pelican cases with the SW-Motech racks with Hepco Becker adapters. I think it would be simple enough to change the cleat to handle the square tubing of the SW-Motech rack. I was not aware of the strength advantage of the Hepco Becker racks. I just wish that they were symetrical for my bike.

Thanks once again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Regards,

M

rc51owner screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 09:54 AM
Old 12-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #2121
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

End of Year Big Bike Side Luggage Sale

Announcing the first annual Caribou End Of Year Sale! This year we are offering a 10% discount on complete Side Luggage systems for several big bikes. Send me a PM and we'll take 10% off the regular price of a complete side luggage system in 35L, 36L or 40L sizes for the KTM 950/990, BMW 1200GS/Adventure, Triumph Explorer 1200, and V-Strom 1000. Sale ends December 31, 2012. This is for the ADVrider community only, so remember you have to send me a PM first and we'll take care of the rest.

Thank you!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #2122
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Caribou Reflective Decals!

New Caribou Reflective Decals!

Printed on 3M Scotchlite. Be seen, be cool too...

$5 + shipping for a pair, ships free when purchased along with any of our other products. Please visit the "Accessories" category on our web site to purchase.

Thank you!

-roger
Old 12-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #2123
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 393
I had a great little trip to Saline Valley in Death Valley National Park, CA after Christmas and I just wanted to post here that my Caribou Cases took a beating without skipping a beat, holding up and working perfectly the whole time. I dropped my G650GS on them several times and banged them off rocks & boulders, as well as vibrating them over mile after mile of rocky washboard roads. A little cosmetic "character" but no real damage at all!

I wrote the trip up here if you're interested:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851956

reenmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #2124
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I had a great little trip to Saline Valley in Death Valley National Park, CA after Christmas and I just wanted to post here that my Caribou Cases took a beating without skipping a beat, holding up and working perfectly the whole time. I dropped my G650GS on them several times and banged them off rocks & boulders, as well as vibrating them over mile after mile of rocky washboard roads. A little cosmetic "character" but no real damage at all!

I wrote the trip up here if you're interested:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851956

Excellent story and pics! These would look nice in the gallery on our web site.

-rog
Old 12-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #2125
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Excellent story and pics! These would look nice in the gallery on our web site.

-rog
Feel free to use any of them you like, and if you want higher-resolution files just let me know!
reenmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #2126
gadgetguy1288
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
What mount system would you recommend for a BMW F800R for a set fo 35L side cases?
gadgetguy1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #2127
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetguy1288 View Post
What mount system would you recommend for a BMW F800R for a set fo 35L side cases?
For the F800R the Givi PLR type side racks would be a good choice. Available from many on-line and local dealers, they look to run about $200, not bad.

-rog
Old 01-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #2128
kimokk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Roger,

How does your 34L top case compare to the H&B Gobi 42L top case as far as durability, construction, etc.? Thanks.
IBA #49426
kimokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #2129
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
I just received my my 25L topcase for my G650GS a few days ago and the install went nice and smooth. The quality of the hardware looks great and I think it's going to be a great piece of gear to have.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #2130
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimokk View Post
Roger,

How does your 34L top case compare to the H&B Gobi 42L top case as far as durability, construction, etc.? Thanks.
I am more familiar with the Gobi side luggage with the double wall, but assume the top case is the same construction. Our case is lighter, and perhaps has the edge on durability. Our top case is attached via four quarter-turn fasteners inside the case, whereas the Gobi has the external bail-type latch, so our attachment system will have the edge on durability as well. 42L is pretty big, so if you need that much room it would be the better solution for you, but I personally really don't like a top case that big. Hope this helps.

-rog