Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #76
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,486
Hey there uncle Gordy. Your bike is ballin'. Yea Italian curves look sexy. But keep in mind, they all look the same upside down.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #77
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Okay Gordy you have had the bike long enough, spill the beans on the likes and dislikes!
Still getting used to it, but overall, I think it rocks!

I have only had a few trials bikes and have only ridden a few others so my review is very limited.

The fit and overall build quality is outstanding.

The bike seems to balance much better than my GasGas. I don't know why, but stationary balance and overall balance is excellent.

The TRP shock is incredible.
http://www.americanbeta.com/node/760
They set it up for my weight and how I told them I ride and it works great. I haven't adjusted anything on it yet.
It soaks up the little trash and drop offs are soft. It seems to find traction on choppy ups real well too, but that could be the overall bike.

The turning radius is ridiculous. If there is any front wheel traction, and you can turn the bars full lock, it will turn tighter than anything that I have ridden. In soft conditions, the over-center steering stops will allow the front to tuck but that is entirely up to the rider. The Beta should improve scores if for no other reason than this.

The motor is really nice. I have only dropped the needle and the jetting seems to be close. I want to try some different pilots to see how that affects the bottom but it is pretty damn close right now. No complaints.
It has a nice quick (but linear) hit off of the bottom and a powerfull, torquey pull into the mid-range. I think it is much better for my riding than the GasGas 280 that I am coming off of.
Lots of compression and the left hand kick-start was kicking my ass for a while. I am getting more used to it and can now start it with either the left foot or by getting of and using my right foot. I used to think that the left hand kickstart would be a deal breaker for me, but it really is not bad at all.
Try starting a 400 CZ.

No leaks or drips. The Kehein carb works nice and doesn't leak or weep.

The clutch; I went for the up-graded clutch and it is pretty sweet. It has a much harder lever action than I am used to but I think that is part of the deal. It feels very consistent, has great feel and will snap when you want it to. The stiff lever action is taking some time to get used to though.

The forks; They seem to be very good. I went up one on the fork springs, (I weigh right at 180#). Action is very lively but plush on big hits. I am using the full stroke so I believe that the spring selection is good.

Overall, the suspension is tight but plush. It has a very comfortable ride. Loops are way more enjoyable.

If I was a better rider, I could give a better review, but I hope this gives you an idea of what I am experiencing so far.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #78
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,281
Yeah, it sure felt like a solid Beta when I rode it!! Nice. Clutch was not too hard for me, but pretty darn quick!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #79
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,763
Your Beta is nice. Thanks for letting me try it last Sunday.

I would.....ALMOST consider getting one over a new Montesa. Super sweet bike, available here to boot. Good thing I can't afford a new scoot........

brewtus screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 05:54 PM Reason: Don't have the credit rating to even look at a new Beta, let alone buy one.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #80
tilliejacques
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
[...] overall, I think it rocks!
[...] The fit and overall build quality is outstanding.
[...] stationary balance and overall balance is excellent.
[...] The TRP shock is incredible.
[...] it will turn tighter than anything that I have ridden.
Thank heavens B doesn't read ADVrider

Quote:
[...]The Beta should improve scores
well, at least an official sandbagger like B doesn't need to improve scores...does he??? oh wait, he's a guy

Glad you like your new ride Gordy!

cheers
Old 11-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #81
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilliejacques View Post
Well, at least an official sandbagger like B doesn't need to improve scores...does he??? oh wait, he's a guy
He is actually 'official' as a sandbagger now, isn't he?!

Hi Laurie!
Old 11-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #82
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,486
[QUOTE NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer: 3,810

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilliejacques

Hi Laurie!

]/QUOTE]

Hey.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #83
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Clutch was not too hard for me, but pretty darn quick!

This is interesting. The clutch has 6 setting that are easy to do. I'm liking the snappy feel as it is though.

http://www.americanbeta.com/sites/de...20set%20up.pdf
Old 07-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #84
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 727
Found a used 2013 Evo 250. It was a BYOB with some extras. 3 sets of springs. $6,000 with a CA title. Total beginner rider. Decided he wanted a Ossa.

Better sell my Techno or I will never ride the Evo for fear of beating it up.

04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #85
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
Found a used 2013 Evo 250. It was a BYOB with some extras. 3 sets of springs. $6,000 with a CA title. Total beginner rider. Decided he wanted a Ossa.

That bike looks really nice and barely used! Sounds like you got a lot of bike for the price.

Let us know how you like it and please don't post any more pics of amor-all'ed bikes. It makes me feel bad.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #86
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Quote:

That bike looks really nice and barely used! Sounds like you got a lot of bike for the price.

Let us know how you like it and please don't post any more pics of amor-all'ed bikes. It makes me feel bad.
It's 303 Protectant. Way better than Amor-all. Yea, I catch $hit all the time for keeping my bikes too pretty.

I'm sure I will love it. I would have been happy with a Rev3 but could not find one that was CA legal. Just thought I was getting good enough to move on from a Techno.
04 FZ1
Old 07-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #87
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Gordy, do you think the return spring on the throttle is unusually weak on the 13 Evo? I think the throttle is crazy light to the touch. I rode a comp today and it about got away from me twice. I compared the throttle on several other bikes and all were more normal resistance to turning.

Can I put in a stiffer spring? or just get used to it?
04 FZ1
Old 07-14-2013, 03:58 AM   #88
cnybetass
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
You might try a slow turn throttle tube until you get used to bike.Mine has the ball bearing wheel in throttle very light to turn.Put slow tube on until used to bike then went back too normal tube.I have the 2013 300 ss great bike.JR
cnybetass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #89
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Mine has the ball bearing throttle as well and I love the light feel.

All of my others bike's throttles feel like junk compared to it.

My guess would be to either try the slow tube (I have no experience with that) or to really work on your throttle/clutch control in a safe place until you also learn to love the light feel.

I think that throttle control is learned from sound, vibration, hand position, feel of the spring----all kinds of weird feedback things that our brain takes in. It truly is a miracle that we have any idea where that throttle is at at any given time.

Also, I have been working with my wife on throttle control. She is a total beginner and I have been stressing to her to isolate the throttle control from any of her body movements and to ride with peg pressure and quit hanging onto the bars with a death grip at the first sign of trouble. She is doing a lot better after I have beat that into her these last few weeks.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #90
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Thanks for the reply, I will just have to be more careful. I was unsure if something was wrong with the bike. Everyone I asked at the trial though it was not right having so little resistance to turning. I got the feeling most were not Beta fans from some of the comments.

Both times I lost control were on the loop between sections. Guess I was going too fast.
04 FZ1