Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #376
seasider
Just a rider

Oddometer: 371
I am a fairly new user but struggled terribly with the oem and cut down oem for 3500 miles and bit the bullet on the Desierto. Overall I like it a lot but was so used to the cut down shields that it is visually cumbersome from the seat just yet with about 1000 miles with it.
Realizing you are looking for long time users my thoughts may not be pertinent but I am basically the same body characteristics as you listed.
If not for the wind wearing me down with my XD-3 and working me so hard on the typical 250 mile ride to trail I would have been fine with the cut down shield. That being said this Desierto has made riding to the trail a pleasure again.
I leave it in the lowest setting with a slight tilt forward and it works real well. Wind and rain protection is completely satisfactory and it really is out of the way with the trail riding positions while standing forward.The wind noise has been noticeably reduced (always with the shield up on the xd) and no need for Advil to alleviate a sore neck after a full couple days riding.
Pricey but effective is my opinion.
If I didnt have a 12GS as well I may not even have realized that the 800 falls short with wind protection but the bike is too much fun to give up on just for the cost of a rider appropriate shield.
Good Luck.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #377
tomJ
tomJ

Oddometer: 5
Seasider very useful comments especially if we both have the same body characteristic. I want to improve the long rides comfort and have this nice flexibility of f800 if the asphalt ends suddenly... D3 seems to be solution. The noise for me is also a riding safety issue as it affects the driver concentration after some time of riding. The cost is an issue as well but if I plan to use the bike for long time .... Thank you for your comments. Me starting negotiating with Santa...

Tom
tomJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #378
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Just snagged a slightly used one off craigslist for about $500....

So far I love it. Reduces all wind hitting my head/helmet and now I can turn my head without feeling like my helmet is gonna launch off like a parachute is attached to it.

Not as good as the cee&baileys I had for my 1150GS, but that's a whole different bike/setup. But it is definitely a huge improvement and I feel like I could do some serious miles without being annoyed. With the stock screen I was getting fatigued and annoyed after 15 minutes on the road. Plus, going off road is a simple adjustment to lower it.... And it looks great, which is a plus

I do not like the plastic parts they supplied. I switched out the plastic knobs that tighten the screen down with metal wing nuts(should be easier to loosen, especially with gloves on) and am in the process of replacing the plastic knobs that connect the windscreen to the bracket with some metal cap bolts. One of the plastic caps stripped out and they were all loose after some off-road riding. I think metal ones will hold much much better.
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #379
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post
I do not like the plastic parts they supplied. I switched out the plastic knobs that tighten the screen down with metal wing nuts(should be easier to loosen, especially with gloves on) and am in the process of replacing the plastic knobs that connect the windscreen to the bracket with some metal cap bolts. One of the plastic caps stripped out and they were all loose after some off-road riding. I think metal ones will hold much much better.
Or just loctite them
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #380
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Tried that, but the previous owner stripped the one out beyond repair. The metal screw just ripped up the thread of the cap.
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #381
tomJ
tomJ

Oddometer: 5
DoWorkSon thanks for feedback. Very useful.

One more question to D3 users. Is the tinted screen TT supply an issue when you look at the road perspective? It seems it may cut the perspective somehow on the level driver looks forward. I have no experience with tinted screens, I understand its very personal preference tinted vs clear. Probably all the screens get tinted after a while with all the wildlife, mud, stones etc we experience on roads.

Thank you colleagues for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Tom
tomJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #382
seasider
Just a rider

Oddometer: 371
Loved the shield but...................Loved my r12 more so http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842160
Its perfect and come with extra shield that were cut down before I bought it.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #383
river-rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
thumb nut solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossplane View Post
That's the same problem I'm having. The nuts that hold the windscreen on vibrate themselves loose very quickly.

I thought about using a spring washer or even an o-ring as you suggested to provide some sort of force against it, hopefully tensioning the nut so that it will not just vibrate loose.

Either that or I'll just have to replace them with nylock nuts and be done with it, and just use a tool to adjust my windscreen. I really didn't want to do that but if it's what I have to do to stop it from undoing itself, so be it...
I had my D3 partially come off at highway speed once. Called for replacement thumb nuts and was told to carefully squeeze the replacement nuts, AFTER removing , with pliers to very slightly alter them. Worked great, no more problems. I lost a caribou side case (had hit a boulder earlier) this summer in a downpour, cage driver had to tell me it was "back there" LOL
river-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #384
runnr548
BMW Pilot

Oddometer: 124
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomJ View Post
DoWorkSon thanks for feedback. Very useful.

One more question to D3 users. Is the tinted screen TT supply an issue when you look at the road perspective? It seems it may cut the perspective somehow on the level driver looks forward. I have no experience with tinted screens, I understand its very personal preference tinted vs clear. Probably all the screens get tinted after a while with all the wildlife, mud, stones etc we experience on roads.

Thank you colleagues for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Tom

I love the tinted screen and have not had one issue with visibility, day or night, to include rainstorms.
runnr548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:49 AM   #385
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 589
Dash Upgrade for the Desierto III

Sorry for the long delay in getting the pics up, there was a small problem with a crash and a smashed up ankle.

The dash upgrade for the desierto has proven to be a fantastic upgrade. I had them laser cut and anodised, the fit is as good as I hoped for and it has proven to be robust and IMHO looks much better than the Touratech POS that I had in there previously.

(See http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=362 for the intro)

If anybody want one I have a few extras (8 only, black anodised) as the cost of getting small runs made up is mostly in setup, so an extra few didn't cost much.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #386
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

I have also had a request for some info on how I mounted the Zumo in the centre of the Deseirto III.

Well actually it's easy. I used the Touratech mount that goes onto the four handlebar mount bolts and it has worked perfectly now for about 3000km.

The top holes with the rubber well mounts are already the fairing, and I drilled two holes for the bottom two. Took about half an hour!

Here it is in action, albeit with the older crappy Touratech dashboard.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:50 AM   #387
OZZY-GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.C View Post
Sorry for the long delay in getting the pics up, there was a small problem with a crash and a smashed up ankle.

The dash upgrade for the desierto has proven to be a fantastic upgrade. I had them laser cut and anodised, the fit is as good as I hoped for and it has proven to be robust and IMHO looks much better than the Touratech POS that I had in there previously.

(See http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=362 for the intro)

If anybody want one I have a few extras (8 only, black anodised) as the cost of getting small runs made up is mostly in setup, so an extra few didn't cost much.

I noticed that you have a stainless brace on the screen now.
Can you show me where you attached the brace please.
'Thanks
Old 01-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #388
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Sure, no worries.

The braces were an addition after last years trip to NZ where we spent quite a bit of time on corrugated roads and the whole dash almost shook itself to pieces. The supports have fixed it so well that last week when I got onto my wifes bike that is still to have them installed and rode 20 minutes on bitumen city roads I was amazed at how much the front end shakes even on good roads. It's an excellent mod, although I could see how some owners might think its ugly. For us though reliability is paramount as these bikes are a tool for travel and I was worried that the additional weight of the fairing with the Zumo, screen, spot lights, HID ballast, etc etc combined with bad roads something was going to break before too long.

The stays are made from stainless steel tube flattened at either end and drilled M8, I used a bit of bendy aluminium rod to get the shape and length right and form a template for the bends required to get them to clear the fork tubes. The upper end connects at the top of the slot that the screen is mounted in, there is therefore some loss of screen adjustment range but as I made custom screens that never need to be adjusted to maximum "up" it's not an issue. The bottom is attached by replacing the OEM bolt (see the pic below as I can't think how to describe which one it is) with a longer one and the addition of a nylock nut.

Mike.C screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 12:20 AM
Mike.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #389
OZZY-GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Thanks for the pics! Just the answer I was looking for.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #390
river-rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
grear looking backplate Mike

Hi Mike, So much better than tourtechs, PM'd you
river-rider is offline   Reply With Quote