Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #16
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
My 2001 1150 GS has about 169,000 miles on it . Still seems strong to me .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
mmytacist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETDOC View Post
Some things you should ask:
1) Were the rear pivot bearings routinely serviced? If not they need to be replaced.
2) Were the brake hoses changed-when? Rubber lines degrade. I've seen a recommend replacement interval of 7 years.
3) Was the left sided cam chain tensioner upgraded?
4) Were the zip ties near the steering head loosened to keep from breaking wires in the harness?
5) Are these the stock shocks? If so you will need to replace for optimal ride.
Parts that have an increased risk of failure--be nice to know if ever replaced:
1) Clutch slave cylinder/rear input seal
2) Hall effect sensor
3) Starter
4) Rear drive big bearing
Really nice accessory if available
1) Touratech hard part to prevent front forks from breaking steering stops and denting tank during a drop
Places to check for cracks
1) Lower mount of front shock where it attaches to the telelever suspension
2) Rear frame part which holds rear seat and extends as short rack-if overloaded it will crack
Wow... This is why I'll never sell my bike, even if I eventually purchase another. At 100K miles, I only now just replaced the stock shocks with aftermarket items. Never touched any of the rest of the items in this list. Only time the shop ever did maintenance on my bike was when I couldn't down shift from 2nd to 1st, and it ended up being some adjustment in the shift mechanism (thought it was going to be something deeper in the trans). I have no complaints about handling, performance or other issues. But this makes me feel like one day the damn thing will disintegrate underneath me on the freeway!
mmytacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:50 AM   #18
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmytacist View Post
Wow... This is why I'll never sell my bike, even if I eventually purchase another. At 100K miles, I only now just replaced the stock shocks with aftermarket items. Never touched any of the rest of the items in this list. Only time the shop ever did maintenance on my bike was when I couldn't down shift from 2nd to 1st, and it ended up being some adjustment in the shift mechanism (thought it was going to be something deeper in the trans). I have no complaints about handling, performance or other issues. But this makes me feel like one day the damn thing will disintegrate underneath me on the freeway!
You may want to look at posts#12 &14 on this link http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61887
Old 11-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
wario OP
good bike cleaner...

Oddometer: 191
This isn't the bike I started out to buy... but, I hope that it's the one that makes me the happiest! Sometimes karma works that way.

Mrs. DantesDame is a hell of a deal maker and a stand up inmate. Thank You Colleen!

I can't believe that this deal ended up the way it did.

I now have my uniform. where do I report?
wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #20
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmytacist View Post
If it were mine the following routine wear items mentioned by mmytacist would be on my list:
clutch slave(check and lube bearing at minimum)
clutch hose
dump killer rubber brake hoses
standard lubrication/adjustments
clean, lube starter

I carry a spare HES and FD bearing/seal. Typically many of the high cost
repair parts like brake rotors, hoses, mcyl have all been done at 50-60k. Clutch slave seems to last 60k. Lower hose banjo prob rusted.

All mileage is by no means the same. Listen to and ride the beast before reaching any conclusions. Some will be tight at 80k others at 20k over-heated or abused. When considering a mc of this vintage actual documented condition is everything. Deferred maint items add up quick- worth paying $1k-2k for exceptionally well maintained.

Smooth shifting quiet gear box and wheels are always at the top of the list.
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote