ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
Off Limits OP
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,372
GARMIN eTrex Vista HCx

anyone have one of these? i just got one from santa with a bar mount and all. but its my first gps. i know shit about these things. any help will be "helpful"
Old 12-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rider
anyone have one of these? i just got one from santa with a bar mount and all. but its my first gps. i know shit about these things. any help will be "helpful"
I have one. I use it for hiking, peddling and paddling, but the screen's way too small for it to be of use to me on the motorcycle. I use a larger screen that does autorouting for that purpose.

Best bet to start is to go find a comfortable spot outside (where the unit can see the satellites) and start going through the manual. It will take 15-20 minutes on startup the very first time, but is nearly instant after that.

You can set up several "pages" displaying different types of information, and you can customize each of those pages as to what and how you want the data displayed. e.g.. you can have a "map page" that also shows distance to next waypoint and current speed, plus a 'data page' that shows odometer, elevation, and distance to destination, etc.

When you think you have it mostly figured out.. find excuses to use it everytime you go outdoors for a walk, ride etc so that you will know how it works before you HAVE to depend on it.

The unit is reasonably waterproof, and batteries last 25-30 hours of continuous usage.
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 420 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,731
If you will be using it on your off road bike, then buy the RAM mount for it.
Even w/ the RAM mount a tether is a good idea. There are lots of GPS units laying out in the desert.
Pick up Topo 08
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
Off Limits OP
Thread killer

thanks, guess i will just start playing with it
Old 12-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,253
Quote:
waaaa?
Old 12-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,018
laying down the tracks

Quote:

there's a section here on the adv website dedicated to gps....check out the link and don't be shy to post your questions or needs.

hope this helps.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
Bullseye
Mr. Bad Example

Oddometer: 336
Have one

I have a very similar Garmin unit that I used on all rides.... works great! Yes, there are better units with larger displays, but I love the little Garmins. You can pop them off the bars and throw it in your pocket... take it for a hike, etc.
Regarding the small screen...
If I am following a track on the bike, I just zoom way in.
As Johngil mentioned, don't use the wimpy Garmin mount off-road. Get a RAM mount, they are very affordable, very adjustable and more secure.
The only problem I have had with the small Garmins is that they sometimes power-off. I think it is due to the batteries jiggling lose. The newer units seem to do better.
Ad Dyvking mentions, play around with it on hikes or in your yard to get the hang of it. They are very intuitive after a little practice.

KTM 520 exc
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
johngil
Reseda, CA

Once you decide you want to ride w/ the unit on the bike, a power cable from the bike's battery is a nice way to go.
Good luck!
Old 12-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
You CAN'T power that GPS directly from your bike. This unit needs 3.2 volts and does not like 12 volts. YOu can get 12 - 3.2 volt converters.

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #10
johngil
Reseda, CA

That is a downside for this model I guess. My 60csx will run on anything.(not quite, but close)

Garmin does list a part #010-10563-00 for this model w/ a 12 volt plug.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
Off Limits OP
Thread killer

book say batteries will last 25-32 hours. so ni big deal on powering from the bike. its funny just because ive never used one before. im more of a " i think its this way" type of dirt bike rider.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #12
johngil
Reseda, CA

Quote:
book say batteries will last 25-32 hours. so ni big deal on powering from the bike. its funny just because ive never used one before. im more of a " i think its this way" type of dirt bike rider.
It's not so much how long the batteries will last, it's that some units shut off under rough conditions. When powered up through a cable, the unit won't shut off.
Often times the batteries can be wedged in tighter to prevent shutting down.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:18 AM   #13
bisbonian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
I've used the stand eTrex for years on my bike.

You can use the batteries no problem, I found that I needed to jam a bit of paper underneath the contacts to keep everything connected so the unit wouldn't shut off; in addition I would stick a piece of electrical tape on the batteries and casing to try aiding in keeping the batteries in place. This worked well for me.

You can purchase a 12-volt cable that has the resistor built in so you can power it off the bike. I went through 2 of them that wouldn't hold up to the vibration and ended up using batteries so choose carefully as not all cables are built the same.
bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:36 AM   #14
Off Limits OP
Thread killer

Yep, the thing was a pos and worked once before the vibes killed it. It shut off just like you guys said. It's been sitting in he drawer ever since. 2 years GPS free!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #15
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Holy reply to old threads...

The hcx vista has been my gps for the last two years. Works great. My only complaint is it can't load more than 1 track at a time. I plan on updating to the 78 shortly but again, it's been great. Completely fine for off road style GPS...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote