Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #721
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Since I have never actually considered buying one, I don't know that much about them.
Go here for over 1K posts of high mileage Victory's:

http://forums.thevmc.com/bb/forums/t...s=1016&start=1

They've proven to be pretty damm bulletproof.
jmlmjmjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #722
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Since I have never actually considered buying one, I don't know that much about them. I know their basic engine layout, and my biggest issue with that is that they use internal cam chains, which have been my main source of trouble with Japanese bikes. My Goldwing uses belts, which are easily replaceable, and are considered a maintenance item. But internal chains also tend to wear a lot faster than the rest of the engine, and usually cannot be replaced without a complete engine teardown.

The other issue is whether or not the Victory uses the Japanese design model of building disposable motorcycles. japanes bikes, including the Goldwing, cannot be rebuilt within reason. They last for a long time, but when they wear out you just have to scrap them or sell them cheap as parts bikes. Things like running the cams directly in the head, without replaceable bearings, using pressed together crankshaft and rod assemblies that do not allow you to regrind the crank and install undersized bearings, etc. makes it completely impractical to try and rebuild them. Add in the lack of parts availability for older models, and it becomes impossible. Harleys on the other hand can be rebuilt, just like an older American car engine. You can rebore, regrind, and replace bearings several times. And just like older car engines, there will always be parts. I can build a small block Chevy without using a single GM part. Same with Harley. You can buy a brand new Panhead or Knucklehead engine complete and ready to run. I understand that Victory no longer makes parts for the V92C, their first model, and the Victory I like best. I've had a chance to buy one several times, but lack of parts and early production problems kept me from doing it. Also, does Victory have any aftermarket support, beyond exhausts and bolt on accessories?
I find it ironic that you're leery about cam chains when the first TW88's did exactly what you're worried about, and at a mileage way lower than the metric bikes supposedly do. Fortunately for HD it was rather easy to change out.

Nobody blames you for not buying into the V92's and the first gen engine. There was a tranny problem, well known. In 02 it was changed, to which they're still basing the current engine on, just more speeds and displacement.

Finally, why are you buying a motorcycle based on what it will be worth 100,000 miles from now? FYI, 100,000 mi harley's are cheap. My dad is a connoisseur of high mileage HD's. He bought an 04 Ultra with 94K for $8000, and an 01 Heritage with 84K for $6000. Granted we completely rebuilt the 04 for about $3K that winter, but the Heritage is his daily rider and won't get anything. I don't see many high mileage Victorys on the used market, but I'd bet it's because they're just not for sale.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #723
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
I don't really have anything against Victory, but if I buy a v-twin cruiser or touring bike, it will be a Harley. I am NOT into the Harley "scene" I just like their bikes. Even a brand new Harley has way more character than a Victory or a Japanese bike, and that is a big part of what I like about motorcycles. I have put a lot of miles on a Goldwing 1500, and quite frankly find it boring. The only reason I still have it is comfort. But I do wish it had at least a little sound and vibration.
Character is like most everything else, it differs person to person. I think Victory's DO have character, just different then HD. I'm a fan of both HD's and Victory's, and have a '02 Victory TCD with a Lloydz 104 big bore, and it has dynoed at 106/110, and 90,000+ miles on it. No one I ride with would say my bike doesn't have it's own character.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #724
ssgmiddleton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I'm going in tomorrow to demo the Judge, my dealer has one in Suede Orange. Does anyone know about this paint. It has a claim that it changes with weather and what not and that no two will be the same. I prefer a black one but I'll take the orange since it's all they have. If the ride goes well I'll be bringing it home tomorrow.

You don't win a war by dying for your country. You win a war by making the other son-of-a-bitch die for his"

08' KLR 650 Red
06' CRF450R
03' CRF230F
ssgmiddleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #725
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad View Post
To this I would add that nearly all bikes have characteristics that bring either a smile or frown to our faces. The same bike that shakes your fillings loose may also stir your soul.

For my self, I would say that HD, Guzzi, Ducati, Victory, Triumph and certain models of Japanese bikes have that ability. This is called "character".

Bikes like Starleys and Kawacopys are caricatures. An imitation of life. You can not fake life. No one I know would take a blow up love doll home to meet their mom.

Sat on a Cross Country Tour today. It actually fits my stoopid leg quite well. Very comfortable and again, it has styling all its own. Very Art Deco. I like it. Can't ride.

Yet.

The Toad

I enjoy reading your posts Toad. I'm looking forward to hearing that you are riding again.

Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #726
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgmiddleton View Post
I'm going in tomorrow to demo the Judge, my dealer has one in Suede Orange. Does anyone know about this paint. It has a claim that it changes with weather and what not and that no two will be the same. I prefer a black one but I'll take the orange since it's all they have. If the ride goes well I'll be bringing it home tomorrow.
Have fun on the ride. I hope you enjoy it and purchase one!

Regarding the paint......I've never heard that claim and I spend time on the major Victory enthusiast boards.

ORT, good luck, hope it works for you.
jmlmjmjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #727
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
That's because it's matte paint. No waxing no polishing AFAIK. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #728
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' View Post
Adventure Touring Vision -

Nice photo Rollin..
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:47 AM   #729
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-zulu View Post
Nice photo Rollin..
I found that photo of me on the internet. I was doing a search on the Dalton Highway.
Contacted the person and they sent me the full size 12 meg picture.
I didn't even know that anyone had taken a picture. Made my day!! A picture of me taking a picture.
Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #730
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,440
Quote:
I'm going in tomorrow to demo the Judge, my dealer has one in Suede Orange. If the ride goes well I'll be bringing it home tomorrow.
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #731
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
When compaired to what?
Harley

Pete
vnp514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #732
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 1,026
Merry Christmas.

Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #733
Penmeister
Portabella

Oddometer: 140
Victory National Meet

Anyone planning on heading to Lewiston, Idaho for the National Meet August1-4?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #734
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
I had the chance for a weekend test ride on a Judge.

A little ride report and more pics here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845431
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #735
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofthedirt View Post
I had the chance for a weekend test ride on a Judge.

Did it follow you home? Is your wife going to let you keep it as long as you promise to feed it?