ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #16
kirkb
n00b

Oddometer: 2
So what was the conclusion?

What's the verdict? The thread leaves the original poster's questions unresolved.

It would be super helpful to know if it is possible in TN to register a WR450, or similar "off road" bike, for legal use on the street (once you've got all the required equipment, tail light, etc)??

And if so, what all is involved and how much trouble is it?

Are there emission requirements?

Thanks!
kirkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
TNkayaker
Wookin' pa nub

Oddometer: 89
Kind of reviving an old post here, but thought I would share my experience in TN.

I bought a used 2010 Beta 400RR. This is the dirt only model. It says nothing on the title about "off road only" just the word motorcycle. I wanted to dual sport it. I called the local tag office (Bradley Co.) and asked. She said to buy the parts necessary to make it legal, and bring them the title with the receipts for the parts. Headlight, tail/brake light, horn, speedo. Turn signals not required. Bike had headlight and tailight/brake, speedo. I added horn, turn signals, and for my own peace of mind, a keyed ignition. Took said documents to tag office. They only looked at the title, never asked for the receipts, and handed me a tag.

Mark
Old 11-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #18
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefalling View Post
Huh . . . .

One says TL

The other says RS

I guess that helps a lot
My '99 WR-400F ("Model" = "WR4") TN title has "MV" under the "Body" spot. I'm going to run it by the dealer for their opinion.

2012 Concours 1400 | 2008 Z1000 | 1999 WR-400F
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #19
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Any inputs? I'm going to run my title by Mid-South next Wednesday, and then with some optimism, to the DMV for a WR-400 plate.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:44 AM   #20
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,301
Just walk int the clerks office like "you own it.".
Never mention the words dirt bike.
DOn't ct out of the ordinary...... plop that paperowrk on the counter and say "I need to register this".
Old 11-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #21
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Sc

Quote:
DOn't ct out of the ordinary...... plop that paperowrk on the counter and say "I need to register this".
I think this would be the way to do it......they aren't paying enough attention to realize.
Does anyone know about how any of this works in SC?
BOIKE333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #22
lgajohnymac
(*)

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
Yeah, that's right. A couple of the guys I ride with up there said there was a grace period before the first inspection.
I know in one case I bought an out of state (NY title), and had to get an inspection from a DMV inspector. Not the safety inspection. And it had to be done in a year. In another case (from TN) it only needed the safety inspection within a year. I sold that bike to another out of state (SC) guy about a year later. No issues.

I still have the bike I need to get a DMV (theft) inspector to look at, DMV sent me a reminder I hadn't done it yet. Gave me another six months to get it done. It may be the age, this one is a 76. But its a PITA to get that inspection done. Be sure you don't need this type if you go through NC.
lgajohnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #23
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
It may be that you can slip through in rural counties, but I know that the TN database that the ability to flag bikes based on the codes in the VIN (i.e., if your bike said "off road use only" on the title, the VIN will issue a flag). I attempted to tag a DRZe, and after jumping through a bunch of hoops and actually getting a tag, I got a letter from the Hamilton Country clerk informing me that my registration would not be renewable.

Euro bikes (KTM's and Beta's) are no problem because they don't have the dreaded "Off road use only" on the MSO. They can be titled. As far as I know, you can still bring a tagged bike in from out of state, too. Of course, knowing that TN can flag based on the VIN, you have to wonder if they will every begin auditing currently registered vehicles. If that happens, it will bring a wheelbarrow load of suck to allot of folks.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #24
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Just an update. It is a no-go for plating my WR. My 1999 title had been purged from the system, and the clerk went to her supervisor. They tried and tried to figure out what kind of motorcycle it is. I was asked if it was a "special" motorcycle. "No, it's just a motorcycle." In the end, they told me to contact the state and provided a phone number. I'm not going to pursue it anymore.

Happy Thanksgiving to you guys.