User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #46
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
I got rid of mine. No luck with it.
When it got below 40.. Click, click, click.
Put it on the battery tender (not made for the shorai) tried the next day, still just clicking.
Jumped it, got it started, ran it hard for three hours. Got back home. Tried it again in the driveway. Click..
Went back to the Bmw dealer. Got my $$ back.
I'm not a believer.
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #47
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
I got rid of mine. No luck with it.
When it got below 40.. Click, click, click.
Put it on the battery tender (not made for the shorai) tried the next day, still just clicking.
Jumped it, got it started, ran it hard for three hours. Got back home. Tried it again in the driveway. Click..
Went back to the Bmw dealer. Got my $$ back.
I'm not a believer.
Sold mine to a guy in LA. Great location for a lithium battery. With global warming I suspect in a couple of decades lithium batteries will be suitable for bikes located in TN. Very expensive mistake for me.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #48
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,724
Lithium batteries are great for cell phones, laptops, UPSs and other similar applications that require small size and light weight. I have a 12VDC Li battery powered drill that is terrific.

As for engine start batteries, I don't believe they are ready yet.

Also, a major LiFePo battery manufacturer just went out of business recently.

I was thinking about using Li batteries for starting my diesel motor home engine. In order to get similar capacity to the lead acid batteries used currently, I would need to spend over $700.00 on lithium batteries.

For engine starting and high capacity, lead-acid is still the best.

But, they sure are heavy and an environmental hazard.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #49
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Lithium batteries are great for cell phones, laptops, UPSs and other similar applications that require small size and light weight. I have a 12VDC Li battery powered drill that is terrific.

I was thinking about using Li batteries for starting my diesel motor home engine. In order to get similar capacity to the lead acid batteries used currently, I would need to spend over $700.00 on lithium batteries.

Battery recycling has come a long, long way. Some 97% of the lead in the battery can be extracted and re-used. Electrolytes can be neutralized into water, Hydrogen and less-harmful compounds, other metals used in the battery are also largely recovered. The plastic case itself is capable of being recycled, too.

LiIon can also be recycled, but not as thoroughly. The cathode and anode substrates are Aluminum and Copper - those are easy enough to reclaim. Metal oxides that make up the active material are not so easy to get back, AFAIK, they're treated as Haz Waste.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #50
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post

rumors are A123 went through bankruptcy so Johnson controls could acquire A123 and continue to receive federal subsidies. which are tied to A123 building factories within America.

politicians will go along with anyone that builds factories in their district.

Please visit my LiFePO4 testing thread for details why. have posted this several times, but here goes again:

if your battery actually needs replacing. my recommendation are to go with AGM batteries for your motorcycle.

unless weight is of critical concern and you are really to throw $$$ at it. LiFePO4 motorcycle battery mfg are notorious at inflating amp hour ratings.

recommendation is 75% of actual amp hour rating of lead acid. so if your bike's lead acid battery is 12 amp hour. then 8amp hour LiFePO4 battery will be needed.

learning how to start your bike with LiFePO4 in cold weather is mandatory. yes procedures are different.

use caution when replacing any battery substantially smaller than OEM. mount battery equally secure as OEM. taking extra care to make sure positive side cannot ground out.

Lithium batteries discharge at HUGE rates. Dead shorts are suspected in bike fires resulting in total loss.

LiFePO4 batteries that use cables to attach instead of fixed posts require special caution. positive connections need enough insulation, to where grounding out is not possible. including in the event battery gets lose. dead shorts can result in temperatures hot enough to weld with.

Your lead/acid battery charger may or may not properly charge LiFePO4 batteries.

_cy_ screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 06:45 AM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote