User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
kingofZroad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Breaking in the Tiger...

I live in western Colorado. I've been saving, dreaming, researching, plotting, scheming, etc for about 3 years in anticipation of getting an "adventure" bike. The cruiser wasn't doing it for me anymore....

Every year, I go bow hunting for whitetails in Kansas with my friends who live there. Periodically, I take bikes/4-wheelers to a gentlemen in Wichita, KS to help pay for gas money. I had decided that I would try to schedule a test ride on a Tiger 800 xc when I went through the big city this trip. It is the last remaining bike on my "short list" that I had yet to ride... As luck would have it, I found a leftover 2012 at a dealer in Denver. We negotiate a deal over the phone/Internet to trade my cruiser in should I like the Tiger. Wife gives her blessing...THIS MAY ACTUALLY HAPPEN!!

So, I throw my cruiser on the trailer with the 4-wheelers and head to Denver.... Upon test riding the Tiger 800 xc, I decide that I MUST own this bike!!

After purchasing my new bike, I head east for tiny Kit Carson, CO to hang with an old college buddy for the night.

The next morning, I finish the trip to Little River, KS. I head out in search of a proper buck. Periodically it dawns on me that November might not be the best time to buy a new motorcycle (other than the financial savings...). I want to RIDE!!

So, I finally fill my buck tag mid week...

Now, I just have a turkey tag left...

With hunting out of the way and the weather warming up in Kansas, my thoughts turned to riding. After all, I DID drag my new bike all the way here....

Tomorrow, I will go for a day ride I decide...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
wirenut
n00b

Oddometer: 4
The Tiger looks nice. Let us know how you like it. Good luck
wirenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
kingofZroad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So, the next day it finally warms up mid-afternoon. I set out on my inaugural journey. I've been coming here for 12 years now, but am usually to occupied hunting to "site see".

While cruising down a paved two lane back road, I saw a sign for a motorcycle museum in the little town of Marquette, KS. I needed to see this!!

Prior to getting to the museum, I stumble into this sign on an old building...

Then, I see an old gas station....

Then, I make it to the museum.... It's an old building on Main Street, packed with old bikes and memorabilia.... After giving them a donation, I look around...

Old Indians are always some of my favorites...

Old Harley's...

Cushman's, Benelli's, etc...

Old gentleman that started the museum passed away back in 2007... His widow watches over it now. We visited for a bit. I feel for her...

I thank her and head out for the next town.... More in a bit.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
kingofZroad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So, the next town is Lindsborg, KS. It is known as "Little Sweden". I believe they had over 20 of these Dala Horses all over town.

I didn't get a picture... But many of these small towns have brick roads still along Main Street. I like them, but I also don't have to drive on them EVERY day...

I stopped at a local coffee shop for a cup. Nice people, I love meeting new people and learning about different towns.

On my way back to my friends house I happened upon this train car.

And a museum...

Back at my friends, after installing the center stand. She's a dirty girl now...

I managed to put 155 miles on that day, and another 140 then next (no pics).

I am loving this bike!!! The power is wonderful and it handles like a dream! Especially as compared to my old cruiser...

I will be ordering a set of Rox risers though.