Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #16
aculate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwr View Post
if the bike was at the port in Newark, there's a very good chance it was flooded. That entire area was under a few feet of salt water. There were containers floating around.
My GSA came in a few years ago through Perth Amboy, NJ., an even worse location than Newark from the storm perspective. If BMW still ships through Perth Amboy, the bike probably got very wet.
aculate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
joon1911
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
One available in NYS

My local BMW dealer in Rochester NY has a '13 GSA TB in stock right now. Country Rode Motowerks in Fairport NY. You might see if your dealer would call and try to arrange a transfer. I don't know if CRM would be willing but it might be worth a try.

Best of luck
joon1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #18
DSTEVENS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Me again, well I didnt ride the Tenere because I was too busy and they close at 4 on Sat. so Maybe next week, I appreciate all you guys finding bikes for me. I have not talked with my salesman, and he didnt bother calling me back. I looked at the MAX place in New Hamp. as was suggested and found one I absolutely love in the older color scheme, of course it is the weekend, so I may call them Tues. I always like to look at a bike first hand before purchase, this one is slightly used, but I may call them Tuesday anyway. Thanks again. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,321
+1 on Max. As dealers to, they really do a good job overall. Not perfect, but good.

What about Sierra BMW though, they're so close to you and they're another fantastis dealer. Also BMW of Salt Lake has some good deals going right now, And they're good guys to deal with too.

Sucks that it sounds like your dealer isn't a good one though, that would strongly factor into my decision more than the bike. The tenere is a rocking bike, I'd strongly consider it. I'm also waiting for the new KTM 1190.... Maybe holding off through the winter wouldn't be too bad of an idea?

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #20
BMW JEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Just one other thought. Every new generation model seems to always go through growing pains, recalls, limiited aftermarket support, whatever. If you went for a different, well established model for now and let the first or second production year for others to sort out, you can still shoot for the 2014 or 15 BMW, and by then, the jury would be back in on the water-cooled 1200GSA, probably get a better price, and likely more after market selection.

Just trying to put a positive spin should the aquisition of a 13 becomecome legthy, more expensive or just more inconvenient.
Good luck, Curt

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” ― John Lennon
BMW JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #21
BMW JEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

Whoops, just remembered the 13 GSA would be the current generation. But still, waiting out the new generation could net you a better bike, as well as an increase in future resale or trade in value in the end.

Apologies, but sill just another take on being a future GSA owner for who knows how long?

Best wishes either way, Curt

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” ― John Lennon
Old 11-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #22
wario
good bike cleaner...

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave75 View Post
Many times I have bought a more readily available bike when I really wanted a different one, this has always led to another sale and more wasted time and money.

Get what you really want an save yourself the grief!!! Just my .02
You should be a Zen Monk...
wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:16 AM   #23
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
Not sure what you are looking for as reply?!???
GSAs are always hard to find, specially if you want a specific options. The Super Tenere is an amazing ride but it's a different bike. Are you set on the GSA or just on the Adventure style?
A Tenere will not fulfill the needs of someone that wants a GSA and vice versa.
Just my opinion tho
Am wondering what inmates thinks those differences are?
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #24
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by wario View Post
You should be a Zen Monk...

I'm not really, I just play one on TV!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #25
DSTEVENS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Curt, Yes I figured the 2013 GSA oil cooled should be the last and best of that model, one reason I chose to jump in. I have been burned on first year bikes before, one reason the Yamaha is NOT a priority, as it is a 2012. I may have to breakdown and hunt my salesman down to find out what is happening lol D.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #26
BMW JEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sure, D. Your situation just reminds me of several ideas/ aquisitions or adventiures my wife and I have set our minds to and initialy seem sraight forward in its process. So, you start down a path only to keep running into obstacles. At some point, we declare that it 'just wasn't meant to be'. So, we wait, watch and try again later and then everything just seems to come together and we end up glad that the first attempt never came about.

But then, 'they' also say that nothing good ever comes easy.

Best wishes for the best outcome. And please let us know how it works out.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #27
k woo
308Master

Oddometer: 83
I too had saved for a GSA that I dearly wanted and was a few weeks away from pulling the trigger on my dream bike. A 1200 shaft drive with some off road capability fit my riding style but the "look at me I ride a BMW and that makes me so superior to you attitude" had absolutely nothing to do with my wanting a GSA. Then Yamaha announced the Tenere would be available in the US, I had read about it and was intrigued. To make a long story short I'm 30k + miles into my Tenere including a cross country and back ride in Aug. More long distance rides are being planned with no worry of final drive failures. The Tenere has been flawless and I have never looked back. Give it an honest look.

k woo
k woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #28
DSTEVENS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k woo View Post
I too had saved for a GSA that I dearly wanted and was a few weeks away from pulling the trigger on my dream bike. A 1200 shaft drive with some off road capability fit my riding style but the "look at me I ride a BMW and that makes me so superior to you attitude" had absolutely nothing to do with my wanting a GSA. Then Yamaha announced the Tenere would be available in the US, I had read about it and was intrigued. To make a long story short I'm 30k + miles into my Tenere including a cross country and back ride in Aug. More long distance rides are being planned with no worry of final drive failures. The Tenere has been flawless and I have never looked back. Give it an honest look.

k woo
I am not a high mileage rider, and I take extremely good care of all of my vehicles, so I would probably get tired of any machine before I wore it out. I have owned plenty of different kinds of bikes, but a dual sport style bike is the only type I want at this stage in my life. And as I said earlier the GSA fits me like a glove, even though I only rode it 10 or 15 miles, I was so comfortable on it out of the box that I have craved one for several years. I road a dl1k a couple years and a KLR 21k miles and my latest and to me greatest was a 08 dl650, I sold it at 30k miles. So minus any crash, or theft it would probably last me as long as I would want it. I certainly will test ride the Tenere since I have done business with this dealer since he opened and know the owner personally. Thanks for everything.
D.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #29
brenter
Brenter

Oddometer: 359
Tenere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
I am not a high mileage rider, and I take extremely good care of all of my vehicles, so I would probably get tired of any machine before I wore it out. I have owned plenty of different kinds of bikes, but a dual sport style bike is the only type I want at this stage in my life. And as I said earlier the GSA fits me like a glove, even though I only rode it 10 or 15 miles, I was so comfortable on it out of the box that I have craved one for several years. I road a dl1k a couple years and a KLR 21k miles and my latest and to me greatest was a 08 dl650, I sold it at 30k miles. So minus any crash, or theft it would probably last me as long as I would want it. I certainly will test ride the Tenere since I have done business with this dealer since he opened and know the owner personally. Thanks for everything.
D.
I am 6'8" tall a ride a 12 GSA. As you said the GSA fits me like no other bike does. That being said, I have never ridden a Tenere, but have sat on one and it really feels pretty good. I would bet it would be one great machine. I am VERY happy with my 12 coming from a 07. The motor is much better along with other fix ups BMW has done. I think the 12-13 would be the best run of this model and did not want to wait for a GSA in the new waterhead and then have the potential to fight new problems. I would stay away from the first two model years. Good luck with your decision.
brenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #30
Willie B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
I tried purchasing my last GS locally, but wound up phoning Max BMW and giving them a deposit over the phone, arranging a flight using Sky Miles and flying in and riding my new bike home. The guys at Max did me right, picked me up at the airport and got me on my way promptly. I think my local dealer thinks my bike came from them and they never followed up after trying to purchase from them for over several months.
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote