User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #436
Aventeren
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Question Hotel in Creel?

Hola amigos. I am currently in Creel. any recommedations for a hotel that has secure parking and WiFi?

This place is kinda sketchy and i do not know who to trust.

thanks for helping a fellow ADVRider out!
Aventeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #437
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventeren View Post
Hola amigos. I am currently in Creel. any recommedations for a hotel that has secure parking and WiFi?

Just pick one on the main drag as they're pretty comparable. Just don't go to Best Western; its an overpriced gringo bus tour outfit. Los Pinos is fine as is the one a couple doors down.
Creel is not sketchy, c'mon. Excellent pollo a al parilla out on the main why through town. Suerte, Jim
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #438
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mansfield View Post
Hello, planning a trip from Louisiana to Guatamala to help build a house for a family down there. Looking for information on routes and if its advised to do this solo on first trip? Will leave around Jan. 11.

Don't know of any reason not to go solo. Would help to know your destination in order to suggest routes/crossings.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #439
Johnny Mansfield
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Don't know of any reason not to go solo. Would help to know your destination in order to suggest routes/crossings.
Hello, destination is San Juan Comalapa, Guatemala.
Johnny Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #440
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventeren View Post

Sorry to be so late with this but I've stayed at Villa Santa Cruz on Domicilio Conocido just east of the main through-road. It has courtyard parking, wifi, clean cheap rooms. Would stay there again.

Let us know where you end up and what you think of it.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 11-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #441
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Hello, destination is San Juan Comalapa, Guatemala.
Last Feb we rode through Tuxtla Gutiérrez to San Cristóbal de las Casas where we overnighted. Then took Carretera Federal 190 to the border, passing through Comitán and Ciudad Cuautehmoc to make the Guate crossing at La Mesía (La Mesilla). SC de las C is a nice town to overnight in and 190 provided a pleasant ride to a friendly crossing at La Mesilla. From there you simply take CA1 to your turn off for SJC. It's a pretty sweet ride.

Don't know what you're riding or how you feel about dirt roads but there is one paved road into SJC off of CA1 you can get onto from Zaragoza which lies due south of SJC and just west of Chimaltenango. Looks like a nice piece of road on Google Earth.

If you have time on your return consider heading east through Guate City then north to Tikal for the ruins. Then Palenque on your return through México. You might even see Ester there.

Do try to meet up with MikeMike in Veracruz if it works out that you overnight there. He's someone worth meeting and certainly worth riding with.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #442
Aventeren
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Hotel in Creel (update)

You know what, I take it back. Creel is a great place. The people are great, and the town is pretty cool.

I ended up staying at the Casa Margerita, which is a hostel with private rooms (a ton) and a dormitory. Given that I was the only one in the dormitory, I elected to stay in the dormitory. The cost was $150 pesos, which included dinner and breakfast. Given the exchange rate of $13 pesos to $1 US, I was happy with my food and lodging costs being kept to under $15 (and closer to $10). They have a sister hotel (Plaza Mexicana) that had secure, locked parking for my bike. So I drove my bike over there after dinner. I woke up this morning and my bike was fine. I would not recommend that you leave your bike in front of the Casa Margerita, as a few of the locals indicated that doing so would be a bad idea. Therefore, if you elect to stay here, you'll end up eating at Plaza Mexicana's restaurant, and so when you are over there, inquire about secure parking and just move your bike over once you have unloaded everything into your room. Great WiFi from the dormitory--and I would suspect the other rooms would have okay WiFi, too. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm off to Urique-and mybe Batopilas from there if I can fall in with a group heading that way over the connector.

Aventeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #443
Johnny Mansfield
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Last Feb we rode through Tuxtla Gutiérrez to San Cristóbal de las Casas where we overnighted. Then took Carretera Federal 190 to the border, passing through Comitán and Ciudad Cuautehmoc to make the Guate crossing at La Mesía (La Mesilla). SC de las C is a nice town to overnight in and 190 provided a pleasant ride to a friendly crossing at La Mesilla. From there you simply take CA1 to your turn off for SJC. It's a pretty sweet ride.

Don't know what you're riding or how you feel about dirt roads but there is one paved road into SJC off of CA1 you can get onto from Zaragoza which lies due south of SJC and just west of Chimaltenango. Looks like a nice piece of road on Google Earth.

If you have time on your return consider heading east through Guate City then north to Tikal for the ruins. Then Palenque on your return through México. You might even see Ester there.

Do try to meet up with MikeMike in Veracruz if it works out that you overnight there. He's someone worth meeting and certainly worth riding with.

Thanks so much, about to look up the route! I am riding a klr 650, I have heard about the ruins in Tikal- also have head about some type of waterfall that has carved out stairs that lead to openings into a cave system- Haven't been able to find it, Do you know this place?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #444
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,101
Semuc Champey
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #445
Johnny Mansfield
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Why not do it solo?
Send me a PM if you are routing down the Mexican east coast.
Whichever point you cross at, cross early and get a few hundred kms into Mexico the first day.
And don't believe what you hear about Mexico from people who have never been here.
You'll be fine, the house will get built and the only danger is that you'll never want to go back to the USA.
GREAT!!! Looking forward to this trip, thanks for the update...Will send you a PM when I get down there. Thanks again, have a good one-.-
Old 11-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #446
Johnny Mansfield
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Semuc Champey
Wow, that is amazing--definitely making a stop there! Thanks and have a good one-.-
Old 11-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #447
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Wow, that is amazing--definitely making a stop there! Thanks and have a good one-.-
Check out Paul's ride report (rtwpaul). He recently visited Semuc Champey enroute to Antigua.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #448
Habibi Rocks
Banned

Oddometer: 58
Also in Guatemala..... Checkout Retalhuleu on CA-2 . Its a hidden little gem with great lodging . The trick is like so many Central American cities it lies just a few meteres off the main road.

View from plaza

Habibi Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #449
Johnny Mansfield
n00b

Quote:
Looking for riders to accompany me, I will be documenting the trip for a documentary series. Please contact me if you will be going my way. Will be leaving around Jan. 11 and returning around Feb. 15.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #450
AK Smitty
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 307
Nov 27 back on the road South to CA & SA

I am back on the road Nov 27 for 3-4 months South. Big 3 day push from PV to Mex Guat border.

Then to Tikal Ruins the east and need to be in Antigua on the 4th to meet my friend from AK.

I am going chill in Antigua and surrounding areas for a week and take some Spanish.

Looking for suggestions on stuff not miss in Guat and the rest of CA. Right now I have no plan beyond Antigua. Go where I hear of cool stuff and trend in a southward direction.

Always good to have a beer with other ADV peeps, let me know if you are headed in my direction. Starting RR today or tomorrow.
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote