Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #31
W7AMF OP
Yeah Raft'n!

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Don't think so. You need to machine down the center of the hub to fit on a monolever final drive. Doable, but not a quick and easy bolt-up.

Go look at part 4 here:
http://www.stephenbottcher.net/BMW/paraconv.htm
How about lacing a 4 lug hub to an 18 inch front rim? Seems easy enough?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #32
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrawk View Post
How about lacing a 4 lug hub to an 18 inch front rim? Seems easy enough?
I suppose you could try if they use the same number of spokes, but you'll still have the issue of having to machine the hub to fit the monolever final drive.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #33
W7AMF OP
Yeah Raft'n!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I suppose you could try if they use the same number of spokes, but you'll still have the issue of having to machine the hub to fit the monolever final drive.
gotchya. i see that now (internet was down all day yesterday. well, seems doable. im still torn between dual shock and monoshock monolever. im really leaning towards monoshock. i havent decided if i like all of the electronics under the tank or not yet though. anyone have an opinion on the matter? going to start scoping out frames/bikes over the next week or two to make my decision!
Old 11-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #34
W7AMF OP
Yeah Raft'n!

Found a GS subframe today and have officially started my pile of parts!
Old 11-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #35
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,169
Quote:
Found a GS subframe today and have officially started my pile of parts!
You really need to decide on the dual vs. mono-shock. The HPN guys attach the shocks to the frame ... so the GS subframe is necessary for both.

I will stress again, If I had it to do over, I would go for the dual shock ... reason being is that in the long run, parts are more plentiful, and it will be cheaper to acquire them.

But I agree ... the mono-shock looks cooler
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #36
W7AMF OP
Yeah Raft'n!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
You really need to decide on the dual vs. mono-shock. The HPN guys attach the shocks to the frame ... so the GS subframe is necessary for both.

I will stress again, If I had it to do over, I would go for the dual shock ... reason being is that in the long run, parts are more plentiful, and it will be cheaper to acquire them.

But I agree ... the mono-shock looks cooler
my boss seems to think he has a GS frame somewhere, if thats the case, I will go mono shock because finding parts at a fair price wont be to big a problem for me. if not, then i will go with a dual shock. not only does mono look cooler but i think it rides better too, and i like the ease of rear wheel removal which is nice if you have a puncture.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #37
W7AMF OP
Yeah Raft'n!

My next question is... Why lengthen the swing arm? The stock monolever arm was the same length as the g/s arm right? Once the tube in lengthened, how do you lengthen the driveshaft? Or does another bike have a longer arm and shaft?
Old 11-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #38
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,169
Quote:
My next question is... Why lengthen the swing arm? The stock monolever arm was the same length as the g/s arm right? Once the tube in lengthened, how do you lengthen the driveshaft? Or does another bike have a longer arm and shaft?
All Dual shock ad mono bikes have the same swingarm length. All of the shafts are interchangable. The paralever is about 4" (100mm) longer.

Grab a tape measure and go to a bike night. Measure the wheelbase of any modern 'dual sport' bike in the lot. You'll see that the BMW is anywhere from 4" to 8" shorter. Extending the swing arm does more for the smoothness of ride than increasing travel. It will also move the venter of gravity towards the front end, and you'll find the bike is a bit more balanced.

Just one man's opinion of course, but you can (and should) ride it with the standard rear end for 5K miles. just to see what its like.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #39
W7AMF OP
Yeah Raft'n!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
All Dual shock ad mono bikes have the same swingarm length. All of the shafts are interchangable. The paralever is about 4" (100mm) longer.

Grab a tape measure and go to a bike night. Measure the wheelbase of any modern 'dual sport' bike in the lot. You'll see that the BMW is anywhere from 4" to 8" shorter. Extending the swing arm does more for the smoothness of ride than increasing travel. It will also move the venter of gravity towards the front end, and you'll find the bike is a bit more balanced.

Just one man's opinion of course, but you can (and should) ride it with the standard rear end for 5K miles. just to see what its like.
right on. I went and measured some swing arms from the r80st and the later mono shock monolever r100rt and they are all the same. shock mounting point is different though! im assuming the three lug (monolever) rear end will bolt onto any monolever then? I get how to extend the swing arm, basically just cut it on a band saw and weld in more tube. how do you safely extend the driveshaft and at what point do I need to start worry about binding the ujoint?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #40
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 599
Sounds like a great project... but so that you don't go down the wrong road... I'd start using the search function and read everything you can .... there is a lot to digest and decisions to make. As always... there are pros and cons to everything. I find that deciding what I want is the hard part... once you have that cracked you can narrow down your literature search. Gd' luck and I look forward to watching your build progress. HERE is a start...
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #41
W7AMF OP
Yeah Raft'n!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Spinner View Post
Sounds like a great project... but so that you don't go down the wrong road... I'd start using the search function and read everything you can .... there is a lot to digest and decisions to make. As always... there are pros and cons to everything. I find that deciding what I want is the hard part... once you have that cracked you can narrow down your literature search. Gd' luck and I look forward to watching your build progress. HERE is a start...
awesome! thanks for the link! yeah ive been searching a ton and using this thread, which will become a build thread in good time to ask my more direct questions that seem to get beat around the bush a bit in some other threads. the questions im trying to ask in here are so that i can get answers from people with first hand experience and less what they saw or heard something someone may have done. great link though! thanks!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #42
W7AMF OP
Yeah Raft'n!

Update time!

here is my early tentative list/plan:

- 40mm Head 100 Engine w/ skid plate and oil cooler
- Monolever/monoshock frame
- GS or G/S sub frame modified to fit
- Plastic or GS fuel tank (for longer range)
- GS or Suzuki DR650 front end with 21” wheel
- Seat? (Something that fits or will modify to fit, must be able to 2-up)
- Final drive that will work with an 18” spoke rear wheel
- Old school wide off road handle bars with heated grips and bark buster
- Minimal weight/electronic/wiring/emissions
- Single side exhaust
- G/S or other longer rear shock
- Small light crash bars with one flood/fog light
- Large Dual beam off road style headlight
- Cheap plastic dirt bike front fender
- Cheap rear fender or front fender that can be modified to fit rear
- light cheap saddle bag mounts.

Priorities
1. Reliable
2. Practical/Functional
3. Powerful
4. Unique
5. Use as many used parts as possible to “recycle” and to save money, which is practical ;)

thoughts suggestions?!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #43
W7AMF OP
Yeah Raft'n!

anybody? i went from a few people chatting me up on this to none about over night. haha.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #44
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 599
There is currently an r80 g/s ohlins on ebay in germany if you are interested!
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #45
W7AMF OP
Yeah Raft'n!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Spinner View Post
There is currently an r80 g/s ohlins on ebay in germany if you are interested!
there is also one on the shelf in my work taken off of a cannondale supermoto i was told. looks like itll fit too! ;)