Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Priese OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Getting Tires in South America

Hey there im new here

I`m doing a trip to south ameriva jan-mar 2013 and i wonder how the availability for knobbies like TKCs or Karoos is in countries like Chile, Argentina, Bolivia and Peru.
I read that sometimes it takes a week or two to get the tires shipped to local dealers.

How is your experience with that? Is it really necessary to take a additional pair with me?

Thanks for answers and advices ;-)

cheers
Priese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,475
Depends on the size of tire. Smaller ones used on single cylinder bikes are easy to find. Maybe not a TKC, but something that will work. If you're trying to get a tire for a big twin - 990, 1200, etc - you'll have to go to bigger cities to find them in stock.

Leave the US with good rubber. This will insure that you'll make Colombia. You'll find what you need there.

Bolivia is harder to get rubber. You may have to wait for a few days depending on tire size. Again, they had sizes for 650 type DS bikes and street tires for big bikes.

Not necessary to pack tires. Not advised. It's a pain in the ass. They're big, bulky and there is no need for it. Just don't be stuck on TKC's. Pirelli rubber is pretty common. MT90 and MT60 are easy to find. I think the MT90 does great in 99% of the roads you'll be on. I hear the Avon Distanzia lasts awhile too. I saw a lot of them on the local BMW1200 bikes.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:40 AM   #3
Priese OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Hey thanks for that Info. I decided to go with the pain in the ass, since my current rear tire has just half of the tread left. Ill Start in Valparaiso and i think ill reach ushuaia with that tires then i take the One i took so the pain in the ass will not last too long ;-)
Good to hear that its not a big issue. My bike is getting shipped tomorrow so the journey begins...

Cheers
Priese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
airarrazaval
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Metzeler Chile

In Chile is very easy to find any kind of tire (Metzeler mx.cl)
Good Luk!
airarrazaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priese View Post
Hey thanks for that Info. I decided to go with the pain in the ass, since my current rear tire has just half of the tread left. Ill Start in Valparaiso and i think ill reach ushuaia with that tires then i take the One i took so the pain in the ass will not last too long ;-)
Good to hear that its not a big issue. My bike is getting shipped tomorrow so the journey begins...

Cheers
Which Valparaiso? I think there is one in every country.

On the Chile side of TDF is Punta Arenas. There are tires there for your trip north. On the Argentina side of TDF id Rio Gallegos. There are tires there too. There is a small moto shop in Ushuaia. I don't remember seeing a wall of tires there - I'm told the owner is a great mechanic though.

Bien viaje
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is online now   Reply With Quote