Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
PhillipsMetal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Back roads to Bama

Prelude to the ride:

My first long ride was at the age of 26. In November.

With a copy of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, a college degree and a duffle bag full of clothes, I loaded up on a motorcycle that I had just assembled from two wrecked bikes and left Montgomery, Alabama for Elfrida, Arizona. My destination was job at Vision Quest where I would spend the next 3 ½ years working on a wagon train that traveled from Elfrida up to parts of Montana and Wyoming and back every year, along with a couple of stints on quests and at the wilderness camps.

Vision Quest was an intense juvenile rehabilitation program that focused on fixing the worst of the worst kids. Most were multiple felons and came from seriously screwed up backgrounds, but back to the ride.

The ride to Arizona was a pretty straight shot with a couple of detours. My brother caught the train and met me in New Orleans, where we goofed off a few days and then on to Corpus Christi, Texas, where we visited with our grand mother. From there is was all business to Elfrida with one freezing and fast ride to El Paso that sticks in my memory.

Now 26 years later I am an old man. The last couple of years have been a bit rocky, so I figured an adventure would get me kick started back into a little better place. I have an adventure in mind for the spring and just need to get things in place to make it work out. Step on: Get a passport Step two: Get Spanish lessons on CD. Done and done.

Step three: Find a motorcycle for the adventure. After a lot of looking and research the obvious tool for the job was the BMW GSA. Needed one used so that I could afford it with no lien on the title for my trip. After some looking, I found the perfect bike. A 2007 in great shape. The seller is a great guy, entertains my offer, thinks I am crazy and a deal is struck. The only complication is that the bike is 2,000 miles away. So I am forced into the position of having to ride it home (LOL – what a problem). Did I mention that the wife was really excited about this whole deal? I probably didn’t…LOL Actually she has been very supportive and the idea is growing on her.

PhillipsMetal is offline   Reply With Quote