Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #2866
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewagman View Post
I was telling someone about my model 44 LED lamps and the ST dimmer, but I can't find the ST dimmer on the web site anymore. Has it been discontinued? I fried one improperly wiring it, bought another, and love it for the daytime attention is creates. People just DO NOT pull out in front of me since I installed it, I run it full bright, 2nd quickest flash. I will kindly turn it down or off if I am behind someone in traffic.
We have discontinued the ST Dimmer.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #2867
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Watts Vs Lumens

I continued to be amazed at the Vendors on this forum promoting Watts as end all be all to light output.

As I said many pages ago, Watts is a measurement of electrical consumption.

It is not a measurement of light output.

Please do your research and reach your own conclusion
Old 11-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #2868
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
I continued to be amazed at the Vendors on this forum promoting Watts as end all be all to light output.

As I said many pages ago, Watts is a measurement of electrical consumption.

It is not a measurement of light output.

Please do your research and reach your own conclusion
X2

It was an ok way 20 yrs ago to compare 2 bulbs of the same design, but even then candlepower is better measurement than watts!
Support your local creep! CREEPS MC
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #2869
Itapop
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
As I said many pages ago, Watts is a measurement of electrical consumption. It is not a measurement of light output. Please do your research and reach your own conclusion
Truly true, but they declare 3,600 lumen for the BD Squadron and 42 watts. Model 60 takes 30 actual watts with the same 4 Cree T6 and same lumens, so don't know why 12 watts of difference in consumption. Just a curiosity for me, maybe a stabilizing component that takes energy, I'm not a technician.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #2870
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itapop View Post
Truly true, but they declare 3,600 lumen for the BD Squadron and 42 watts. Model 60 takes 30 actual watts with the same 4 Cree T6 and same lumens, so don't know why 12 watts of difference in consumption. Just a curiosity for me, maybe a stabilizing component that takes energy, I'm not a technician.
Watts is just volts x amps - but LED's run on amperage, not voltage. You want more light out of an LED? Run more amps thru it. You can also cook it this way! Good LED lights have an amp regulator on them (rather than just a simple resistor), really good lights also have a temp sensor which will dial back the amps when you're about to cook the LEDs due to lack of cooling. IIRC, the life of the LED also drops as the amps go up - just like the old halogen bulbs when overvolted!

'Being an adult is so much better when you forget that you're supposed to be boring' (D.Corsetto, 9/7/12)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #2871
michigan400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itapop View Post
+1,, good question.

Edit - Just seen your response wadester. So if more light requires more amps, more amps at the same voltage (12 I'm assuming) means more watts consumed. How can 1 change and not the other 2? If 2 lights use the same LED's, have the same output in lumens and run at the same voltage how can they not consume the same amount of watts?

I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, just curious as well because from my understanding something sounds off. I'm no expert by any definition so the problem very well could be in my understanding of it.

michigan400 screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 08:59 AM
michigan400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #2872
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan400 View Post
+1,, good question.

Edit - Just seen your response wadester. So if more light requires more amps, more amps at the same voltage (12 I'm assuming) means more watts consumed. How can 1 change and not the other 2? If 2 lights use the same LED's, have the same output in lumens and run at the same voltage how can they not consume the same amount of watts?

I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, just curious as well because from my understanding something sounds off. I'm no expert by any definition so the problem very well could be in my understanding of it.
Part of that is how you read light emission specs. Are either of the light mfg's in possession of test reports of the light emission of their device? Or are they quoting the specs of the LED mfg for light output? I haven't pulled spec sheets for those LEDs, but I bet it says "900 lumen output" on it. You want to claim something else? Pay for a lab to rate your device - with enough samples to truly have a statistical validity.

'Being an adult is so much better when you forget that you're supposed to be boring' (D.Corsetto, 9/7/12)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #2873
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 893
Muddy waters...

In comparing lights output in Lumens with how many watts they consume, you are comparing the efficiency of the conversion of electrical power to light. Assuming that all the measurements are accurate, if one light puts out more lumens than another for the same wattage, then it is more efficient. The wasted watts don't just disappear however, they are converted into another form of energy, most likely heat. This is why fluorescents and LEDs produce so much more light and are cooler (generally) than halogens and incandescents.

Just because two lamps use the same type of LED (and not that I have done any research on this but I would guess that Cree makes many different grades of LED with different efficiencies and quality control levels) is not the whole story. The electronics package that drives the LED could be more or less efficient too. Less efficient means more heat and heat is the enemy of electronics. So maybe you should look for the lamp that uses the least watts? I doubt that the difference between the best and worst lamps amounts to more than a few watts in the driver board, but that is just opinion, based on the idea that if the board was producing huge amounts of heat in such a small space, even great heat sinking would not save it.

So Lumens per watt is the best way to compare lamps? Wait, there's more mud here. Lumens are a measure of the total light output of a source - in ALL directions. Even if the manufacturers are being truthful and accurate in what they state, the key to performance is getting the photons where you want them - the design and quality of the lens is the main variable here. A better measure of light output in a given direction is Lux, which measures the amount of light falling on a surface. As light from a lamp typically disperses with distance, more so with a flood beam than a spot beam, to compare output between lamps you would have to measure lux at the same distance from the source, and probably pretty close to reduce the errors of beam patterns. So what happens to the light that doesn't go where you want it to? It disperses uselessly (or usefully, depending on what you are trying to illuminate) or it bounces around inside the lamp and creates more heat.

If manufacturers are not quoting Lux, (and some do provide isolux diagrams - Lux maps, if they can be trusted or compared) and everything else is open to interpretation, what is the best way to choose lights. For my money, I guess I would keep wattage iin mind if my electrical supply was marginal...then look at beam patterns, ruggedness, customer satisfaction, return policies etc. that's where sites like advrider are a real resource.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #2874
Meritlane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
F8 dimmer mount

Looking for a good idea for placement of wireless dimmer box on an F800GS.
Ideas?
Meritlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #2875
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Had a crash today. Bike hit hard and slid into fist sized rocks.

Lights are still working albeit pointing in the wrong direction.

Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #2876
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsow View Post

Offff....hope you're alright!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #2877
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:

dang, those are tough lights!

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #2878
GorG
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Sanjoh, please check your email!
GorG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #2879
jkstehn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
First ride home tonight in the dark. NICE!!!

Question for the crowd: What tricks are out there to help keep the rotary dimmer from moving so easily? I mounted my dimmer on the left bar, near the turn signal and sometimes bump it with the tip of my glove when I activate or cancel the directional.

Was thinking o ring or plastic wire wrap around the body of the first switch to rub against the side of it and provide some resistance to rotation.

Thoughts?

Jon

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jkstehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #2880
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meritlane View Post
Looking for a good idea for placement of wireless dimmer box on an F800GS.
Ideas?
Inside the fairing or under the seat.

Quote:

Hope you are ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorG View Post
Sanjoh, please check your email!
Checked, did I reply