User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #16
oregonlmd OP
Dirt,street,its all good.

Oddometer: 160
Getting going on day 2

Sunrise the next morning, 6:33AM (time change happened that night) and 44 degrees

That was a long night. Biggest problem riding alone in the winter is that there's just nothing to do once it gets dark. Nobody to shoot the shit with, and if you didn't bring a book the 13 hours of darkness gets pretty damned boring.

Beatys is looking good

I found that road I was looking for, it was a bit west. It turned out to be nothing but a track for ranchers to maintain the water troughs.

Headed out Long Draw via Acty to go into Nevada, was going to check out Thousand Creeks Gorge.
Vid of road heading toward 140

Gorge in the distance

I didn't really understand where I was going and couldn't get close to the gorge. I've figured it out now, maybe next year.
Took 140 east to Denio Jct, had a good opportunity to see what the BRP would do. Looks like 95+

On another ride in this area last June the bike was running terrible and was just jetted way too rich. Also, the thing had a hanging high idle. The other XR we had along on that ride ran much better and didn't have the idle issue, even though the jetting was exactly the same. Before I sold that extra XR I swapped carbs and it made my bike work much better. Another ride in August from Bend to Paisley and back proved that though it was better, it was still just too rich. I found a jetting chart and sure enough it recommended two steps down from what was in there, so a 170 instead of a 175, and I just happened to have one in the toolbox.
With that change, the bike runs PERFECT at the 4000+ foot eastern and SE Oregon elevations. Probably better than any other dirt bike I've ever had. Its amazing.

Gas in DJ (58 degrees, 9:30), then over to the Trout Creek Mtns

And finally up in the burned stuff. And some snow

The riding was amazing. I haven't had that much fun on dirt roads in a long time.
A bit of vid

More pics

Sweeping west to east, looking south

And more

Headed to Disaster Peak Road. The poof-dust filled ruts were terrible

McDermitt for gas, food, and phone calls. Weather was amazing. 68 degrees, 11:50.
Diesel at $5 a gallon!
oregonlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #17
oregonlmd OP

Shinko 700 report

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrothgarbike View Post
I have logged a bunch of singletrack miles on a Mefo Explorer. All on the WR. It is my favorite 50/50 tire. The 606 and Mt21 are my favorite street knobbies. I have a buddy that swears by the Pirelli Mt43 on the highway. I think that will be my next experiment.
That Shinko 700 may be a fine tire for some uses, but on this bike, in these conditions, under my ass, it was not so great. Very unpredictable breakaway in a slide, and really just not that much traction in the dirt (that was to be expected when comparing it to a knobby tire).
Further, after a highway speed pavement run, the tire was pretty hot. All loaded up and running 18PSI, maybe that was to be expected too.

Still, I'd pick it for the NW Cal mostly-pavement ride I had bought it for (and didn't do). It worked fine on pavement and well enough on dirt, and is cheap.

I've run the 606 in this area and didn't care for it, either. The only tire I've used so far that I really liked in these conditions was the Dunlop 952. The next one I'll try on the XRR is a Dunlop MX71.

YMMV, blah blah blah.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #18
M.Medel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I think ... you're lucky to ride a bike, for those places ...
Good for your "shown review"
greetings
Medel
M.Medel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #19
NotAllWhoWanderRLost
Lost

Oddometer: 445
Thumb

Great reporting and photos so far. Looking forward to the rest of the story...
NotAllWhoWanderRLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #20
nrspence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I like hearing everyone's tire opinions.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #21
oregonlmd OP

2nd day meets the Owyhee

After gas and lunch in McDermitt it was time to make my way to Warm Springs Creek on the Owyhee.

NE of town, things are good and burnt up. You can see a retardant drop on the hillside

Vid of some real rough road in a real fun canyon

Made my way to Jackson Creek Rd. Smooth squirrely gravel.

Turns to dirt after intersection with Pole Creek Rd

Burned up countryside

5 points - a terrible fence gate collection

Antelope Corral

The road in the distance is on the other side of another river crossing I've been wanting to do for a while

Did I say river? A creek.

Up the road on the other side

Road near Sacramento Hill. No remnant of vegetation left

The ol' trailer's in pretty poor condition

Looked like this the last time I was here

I didn't take a pic of it but the door was pried up from the bottom. I wondered if a firefighter tried to get in to make sure nobody was in there? Was probably just some thieving idiot.

Down into the Owyhee Canyon

Pic from August 2010

It took a while to get to the final crossing (there are several). I got, well, stuck, on a gravel bar. Portents of things to come.

Time to head up the road on the other side

And now its getting tough.
I put highway gearing on the bike, 15-45. That was in planning for a NW Cal mostly road trip I was going to do, and didn't. I figured I could make do with it out here, and I did mostly.

3 vids that tell a better story:

Gas dripping out of the airbox, the bike had a heck of a time staying running once I'd get it restarted

In fact, I had to remove the air filter entirely to make it up to the top. The filter got 1/2 soaked in gas. Once at the top I was really worried to see how dirty the air box was, but there was no need to worry. It was spotless inside. After all, the road was loose rocks on bedrock.

I really thought I was at risk of a heart attack I was breathing so hard, heart beating so hard I could feel it in my extremities.

I'd taken all the bags off the bike to reduce its load. I took the rear tire pressure down to 8psi (shoulda gone lower) to help with traction. And I slipped the clutch mercilessly. What a massive effort to get up that steep loose rock road.

Once at the top with the bike I had to hike back down to get my jacket, helmet, backpack, GL Coyote bag with tent, plus the air filter and cover. Again, coming back up with all that, I thought I was going to die. I had to drop half of it, get back to the bike, then go back down and get the other half of it all.
A neat side-benefit of the design of the GL bag: it goes over your shoulders like a yoke really nicely and is really well balanced for carrying that way. I wish I had a pic of all that.

Onward:
There aren't any more pics from this day. I got to the top just before sunset and rode another 8-10 miles in the dark, doing the last Owyhee crossing in the dark, crossing to hit the Warm Spring Creek and camp for the night.

Pics from 2010, and what I'd hoped to see before dark:

oregonlmd screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 09:26 PM Reason: spell check!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #22
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
Holy crap!

benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #23
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Oh yah, the desert!
Looking forward to more oregonlmd.
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #24
Belgian Waffles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Beautiful! I'm looking into a DRZ in the next year or so and would love to hit up this area then. The Transalp is just a bit too much for me for those kinds of roads the way I have it set up. How long did it take you to get to Christmas Valley from Corvallis? I'm at OSU and would love to go out that way some time.

Current: 1989 Honda Transalp, 2006 Scorpa TY125F trials
Past: 1999 KLR 650, 1990 Tengai 650
Belgian Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #25
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,783
>"I really thought I was at risk of a heart attack I was breathing so hard, heart beating so hard I could feel it in my extremities."

You have a SPOT or some other device?.
It's a long ways from help out there.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #26
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,780
Ironman trip Larry!

"Its fun to share what I saw and I want to do a better job of capturing it as close to reality as I can."

(Hope it's OK that I grabbed your quote from BDS) Your pictures are good man - what you need is a a riding buddy to take shots of you!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #27
oregonlmd OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian Waffles View Post
Beautiful! I'm looking into a DRZ in the next year or so and would love to hit up this area then. The Transalp is just a bit too much for me for those kinds of roads the way I have it set up. How long did it take you to get to Christmas Valley from Corvallis? I'm at OSU and would love to go out that way some time.
There are plenty of routes that you can ride easily on the Transalp, I just pick the harder ones when I'm on the XR. I was going to do this trip with a guy on a 950 Adventure and this trip would have been MUCH different if he were along.
It takes about 4 hours from Corvallis to Christmas Valley. Its not much longer if you go to Bend (2.5 hours) then just ride to Christmas Valley on dirt. I don't plan on staging in Christmas Valley again.
I'm into a trip next spring and summer, its just too cold and snowy out there now to get anywhere. Hit me up next spring and I'll give you a tour out there.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #28
oregonlmd OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"I really thought I was at risk of a heart attack I was breathing so hard, heart beating so hard I could feel it in my extremities."

You have a SPOT or some other device?.
It's a long ways from help out there.

I carry a SPOT, and nearly had to use it a couple years ago
See the report on that disaster here

My dad had a heart attack when he was younger than I am now, but then again, he didn't take care of himself so well...
Old 11-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #29
oregonlmd OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
Ironman trip Larry!
Your pictures are good man - what you need is a a riding buddy to take shots of you!
Thanks for the pic compliment. They're OK, I want to do better.

I have good riding buddies who are usually either too busy with their work schedules, life schedules, or not as into riding DS as I am. I'm lucky to have the free time and freedom I do.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #30
Belgian Waffles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonlmd View Post
Hit me up next spring and I'll give you a tour out there.
Cheers. I might take you up on that once I put some progressive springs up front on the TA.

Current: 1989 Honda Transalp, 2006 Scorpa TY125F trials
Past: 1999 KLR 650, 1990 Tengai 650
Belgian Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote