Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 854 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #27496
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Try to find...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
Do any of you guys have any experience with the Rossi Model 92 in a .357/.38 combo? I'm lookin for an affordable beater rifle to take out into the bush, and the lever actions have always given me a little boy woody.
a used Marlin 1894c, better made than the Rossi.

I fell into one a couple years ago, guy traded it in on a Glock at one of my local gunshops. Not sure about the thought process that was in use there but I got it for $400 including a very nice leather sling and it had barely been fired. Shoots like a dream.

I keep reading about the drop in quality on new Marlins, I haven't purchased anything from them recently but there does seem to be some pretty substantial issues with their new guns.

Real shame.

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #27497
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds

Oddometer: 11,334
Dan Wesson Valor should arrive tomorrow or tue, I'll post some pics before Turkey day.
ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #27498
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling View Post
An original Marlin, perhaps. A quick review of the Marlin forums indicates the Marlins coming out of the Remington factory are not quality items.
Actually, they aren't that bad. The ones coming out of the Marlin factory before they moved weren't very good either - that is supposedly one of the reasons why they moved. IMO the Marlins - at least the 336 design - are a superior rifle to the Winchester/Browning lever actions (92 and 94 anyway).

My '95 .45-70 was made in the Marlin factory just before they moved production and it has some of the problems that are reported lately; poor buttstock fit and the mag tube was dented. It doesn't feed well although that might be fixed with a different follower.

When I get around to it and build up my cash reserves again, I will send it off to be cut down, ported, action slicked up, maybe with a take down kit, certainly with the scout scope mount. The main thing is that it is a good action design, it is .45-70, laminated stock and it is stainless. I can work from there.

I do not care for the newer Winchester lever actions - I've had a few of them. The ones with the safety activated by the lever have a slopping action and don't feel right. I grew up with an old '94 in .30-30 (my grandfather traded some booze and cash to a Trask Indian for the rifle before I was born) with a 26" octagon barrel and I loved that rifle (my brother inherited it) but the Marling 336 type action is superior.
Not all who wander are lost

CodeMonkee screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 07:35 PM
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #27499
tcs06
The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer: 261
Nothing wrong with this Marlin 1894 45 Colt

Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
tcs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #27500
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
Actually, they aren't that bad. The ones coming out of the Marlin factory before they moved weren't very good either - that is supposedly one of the reasons why they moved. IMO the Marlins - at least the 336 design - are a superior rifle to the Winchester/Browning lever actions (92 and 94 anyway).

My '95 .45-70 was made in the Marlin factory just before they moved production and it has some of the problems that are reported lately; poor buttstock fit and the mag tube was dented. It doesn't feed well although that might be fixed with a different follower.

When I get around to it and build up my cash reserves again, I will send it off to be cut down, ported, action slicked up, maybe with a take down kit, certainly with the scout scope mount. The main thing is that it is a good action design, it is .45-70, laminated stock and it is stainless. I can work from there.

I do not care for the newer Winchester lever actions - I've had a few of them. The ones with the safety activated by the lever have a slopping action and don't feel right. I grew up with an old '94 in .30-30 (my grandfather traded some booze and cash to a Trask Indian for the rifle before I was born) with a 26" octagon barrel and I loved that rifle (my brother inherited it) but the Marling 336 type action is superior.
I doubt that they moved to improve quality (the decision was almost certainly driven by a desire to reduce cost and consolidate production under one roof when they bought Marlin). The consensus on the Marlin forums is that quality went south when Remington bought Marlin and did not move the workers when they shifted production from New Haven to Ilion.

All of my Marlins except for a 39 that I haven't shot yet are New Haven guns (pre-move), and I've never had a problem with any of them. I don't doubt that some of the guns leaving the Remington plant are good, and for those who own them...if you're happy with them, that's good. Most feel the quality deteriorated, as Remington tacitly admitted when they suspended production to get the quality problems sorted. You might take a gander at marlinowners.com to see what others' experiences have been.
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)

gatling screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 09:49 PM
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #27501
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
You might take a gander at marlinowners.com to see what others' experiences have been.
Been a member there for several years. Joined after I bought mine just about the time they moved. Haven't been there recently, but I was there before and after. My impression was that the quality before the move was nothing to brag about either.

Can't speak personally as to quality of guns after the move, but what I read as to quality of guns made before the move was not good.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #27502
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
Been a member there for several years. Joined after I bought mine just about the time they moved. Haven't been there recently, but I was there before and after. My impression was that the quality before the move was nothing to brag about either.

Can't speak personally as to quality of guns after the move, but what I read as to quality of guns made before the move was not good.
I guess I'm the exception, then. I own nine Marlins made before the move and I've never had an issue with any of them. Quality has been excellent on all of them; accuracy has been great on the ones that I shoot. The most recent was an 1895 in .45/70, made just before the move, and it is very accurate with a 330 grain cast bullet and 15 grains of Unique. Nice wood, too...

Old 11-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #27503
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 19,005
Quote:
I guess I'm the exception, then. I own nine Marlins made before the move and I've never had an issue with any of them. Quality has been excellent on all of them; accuracy has been great on the ones that I shoot. The most recent was an 1895 in .45/70, made just before the move, and it is very accurate with a 330 grain cast bullet and 15 grains of Unique. Nice wood, too...

That is very nice.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:59 AM   #27504
Axiom2000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I have long been a fan of the Beretta 92FS I thinik some of the limited edition model are a work of art. Here are a few from my modest collection.

Axiom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #27505
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:

I think the quality problem guns are the exception and not the rule. You generally hear product complaints more than compliments on the internet about any product. I have heard that the reason for the move was that the new owners felt that the New Haven workforce was problematic, particularly about the quality problems.

I haven't seen the guns since the move so I don't know about those, but I did notice the fit and finish of mine was typical of the complaints - specially where the buttstock joined the receiver. Looking at your wood I would bet that your wood is a higher grade than mine - maybe they took more care in fit.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #27506
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom2000 View Post
I have long been a fan of the Beretta 92FS I thinik some of the limited edition model are a work of art. Here are a few from my modest collection.

An awesome collection; something I haven't seen either individually or in a group. Thanks very much for sharing this beautiful collection of handguns with us.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #27507
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,164
Well the old Winchester 100 got some new bling with the addition od a 3x9 50mm scope since I finally got a rail.

3X power

9X power
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #27508
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,189
more gun stuff

1929 American Rifleman article - Defining the Schuetzen Style of Rifle-Shooting

http://www.issa-schuetzen.org/histor...d-defining.pdf

Loving those Beretta 92s posted earlier. I didn't know such things existed. I am envious.

ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #27509
Axiom2000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Loving those Beretta 92s posted earlier. I didn't know such things existed. I am envious.

Believe me, my collection of Beretta 92's is modest compared to some I know. But there are many more models some very rare and most likely only to be found when a collector wants to sell one.
Go here and click on 92 FS and then Frame Safety

http://www.berettacollection.com/9mm/9mm.html
Axiom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #27510
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd View Post
Dan Wesson Valor should arrive tomorrow or tue, I'll post some pics before Turkey day.
Well?

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: