Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #121
Ohio_Danimal OP
Midlife Crisis Man

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
I have a 08 naked i'm 5'9" my girlfriend is 5'6'' and my bike does okay for just afternoon rides with breaks but the stock seat sucks and with her on back its that much worse. The passenger pad also is uncomfotable for her after awhile, i love the bike but no way i could see myself 2-uping with it.
The Corbin seat on my SV just keeps getting better and better after over 60,000 miles on it.
I used to have a Corbin passenger seat too, which my son said it made a huge difference when I used to take him on long rides.
Corbin sucks to work with thogh. I could write a book about the seats they have built for me and the problems.

Anger is age, hell bent.
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #122
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
I have a 08 naked i'm 5'9" my girlfriend is 5'6'' and my bike does okay for just afternoon rides with breaks but the stock seat sucks and with her on back its that much worse. The passenger pad also is uncomfortable for her after awhile, i love the bike but no way i could see myself 2-uping with it.
Thanks for the insight. I am planning a ride to Nova Scotia his summer and I want my passenger to come with me. If I did pick up an SV of Gladius I'd rather take that than my current ride ('82 Suzuki GS). Sheepskin may be my saving grace. Can't have an upset and uncomfortable passenger. If she aint happy, no one is happy.

I am still sorely tempted by the SV's solo rider appeal though. Just need to find a way to make the back seat do-able too...
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #123
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
Thanks for the insight. I am planning a ride to Nova Scotia his summer and I want my passenger to come with me. If I did pick up an SV of Gladius I'd rather take that than my current ride ('82 Suzuki GS). Sheepskin may be my saving grace. Can't have an upset and uncomfortable passenger. If she aint happy, no one is happy.

I am still sorely tempted by the SV's solo rider appeal though. Just need to find a way to make the back seat do-able too...
Well in total truth i can barely make it 2 hours with out wanting to die, if your planning on long rides then the stock seats have to go which i need to probaly do. I didn't buy this bike planning on doing trips or 2-up riding mainly just to hop on and ride for a few hours which it does just fine at.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #124
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Quote:
Well in total truth i can barely make it 2 hours with out wanting to die, if your planning on long rides then the stock seats have to go which i need to probaly do. I didn't buy this bike planning on doing trips or 2-up riding mainly just to hop on and ride for a few hours which it does just fine at.
Thanks again for the input. As much as I would like the small and nimble nature of an SV I may need to look for a bandit instead. Long range comfort is very important to me, as is a sporty nature. However if my current ride has taught me anything its that the rider makes a the biggest difference in performance, not the bike. I am used to slinging around a heavy pig of a bike through the twisties, and keeping pace with true sport bikes. A bandit 600 would be 100 lbs lighter than my current ride, yet still be comfortable enough to ride all day two up... Hmm. Much to consider.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #125
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Danimal View Post
The Corbin seat on my SV just keeps getting better and better after over 60,000 miles on it.
I used to have a Corbin passenger seat too, which my son said it made a huge difference when I used to take him on long rides.
Corbin sucks to work with thogh. I could write a book about the seats they have built for me and the problems.
Have you considered Sargent? I used to sell them, right beside Corbin. I had complaints about Corbin. Never had a single one about Sargent. I'm no longer in the motorcycle business, but, used to deal with Rudy at Sargent.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #126
Ohio_Danimal OP
Midlife Crisis Man

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Have you considered Sargent? I used to sell them, right beside Corbin. I had complaints about Corbin. Never had a single one about Sargent. I'm no longer in the motorcycle business, but, used to deal with Rudy at Sargent.
Owned and sold my Sargent. Nowhere near as comfy as my Corbin (to me)

I was not complaining about the quality of Corbin saddles. Just that the experience of dealing with Corbin has always been horrendous. Once you get what you want (my seat was built 1" taller than their "stock" SV650 configuration) you are gold. getting there however is not something I would want to do again.

Anger is age, hell bent.
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #127
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
Thanks again for the input. As much as I would like the small and nimble nature of an SV I may need to look for a bandit instead. Long range comfort is very important to me, as is a sporty nature. .
I would definetly test ride one alone and with your wife, the seat is the main issue for me right where your rear pants pockets are is where i get the pain, and with a passenger i cant move around as much. Like stated by others the stock seats suck and i've been to cheap assed to upgrade so my ass pays anyways.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #128
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Quote:
I would definetly test ride one alone and with your wife, the seat is the main issue for me right where your rear pants pockets are is where i get the pain, and with a passenger i cant move around as much. Like stated by others the stock seats suck and i've been to cheap assed to upgrade so my ass pays anyways.
Certainly good advice. I have ridden a '99 SV solo before, and after about an hour I was pretty glad to get off it. The seat had a forward inclination that was not doing my unmentionables any favors. I'm thinking that a 2nd gen might be better here as the seat looks a bit more level. There is always the ugly gel/sheepskin pad option too.

Anyone have feedback regarding 1st vs 2nd gen seats?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #129
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Danimal View Post
Owned and sold my Sargent. Nowhere near as comfy as my Corbin (to me)
Interesting. Do you think that a Sargent's out-of-the-box comfort causes people to immediately like them, whereas the Corbin needs plenty of break-in miles to become comfortable?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #130
d.burbach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Luggage

Here's mine....anyone know of some good (decently cheap and preferably hard) luggage for the first gen SV650s?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #131
CvFactor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Interesting. Do you think that a Sargent's out-of-the-box comfort causes people to immediately like them, whereas the Corbin needs plenty of break-in miles to become comfortable?
This was the case for me. When I first got my corbin I didn't think it was that good. But now I love it. Even after a 5k mile road trip I had no problems.
CvFactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #132
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.burbach View Post
anyone know of some good (decently cheap and preferably hard) luggage for the first gen SV650s?
Don't know what your idea of "cheap" is, but, Twisted Throttle offers SW Motech mounts to which you can mount about any hardcase to.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #133
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.burbach View Post
Here's mine....anyone know of some good (decently cheap and preferably hard) luggage for the first gen SV650s?
If you want a top box rack, I rolled my own when I had my 1st gen. No special tools and it looked great after it was finished. I don't remember many of the details and my SV is long gone, but I will give you a link to my old post on SVrider. That setup worked for me for several thousand miles and cost me less than a $100 for the box, rack, bolts, etc.

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49110

IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #134
d.burbach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey78 View Post
If you want a top box rack, I rolled my own when I had my 1st gen. No special tools and it looked great after it was finished. I don't remember many of the details and my SV is long gone, but I will give you a link to my old post on SVrider. That setup worked for me for several thousand miles and cost me less than a $100 for the box, rack, bolts, etc.

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49110

Thanks! I'll give this a try!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #135
Roxyig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I have a 2001 Sv650 and I adore her. The bike is reliable as well as nimble and loads of fun!