ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
460Magnum OP
n00b
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 4
Question New Garmin Montana 650t - Battery Cover Waterproof?

I just picked up a new Garmin Montana 650t to replace my Zumo 660. I am concerned that the battery cover may not be sealing effectively because it does not seem to lock in like the cover on my Zumo 660. On my prior unit, once the cover locks into place, it is rock solid and does not have any play. On the new Montana, once it is "locked" into place, it is more "squishy" and has a bit of play if I put pressure on it or try to move it laterally (i.e. it does not seem to lock solidly into position like the cover on the Zumo 660), which does not inspire confidence that the unit is truly waterproof.

Is this normal for the Montana, or should I make the effort to send it back for another unit prior to getting this one set up the way I want it. I don't want it fail due to water damage during a long journey.

I spent a lot of time searching the forums first (and found a lot of info regarding battery error messages and the potential need to place an earplug under the cover) however, I could not locate any comments on the specific issue of battery cover fit potentially impacting the waterproof quality of the unit.

Thanks in advance for any available info on this topic.
460Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by 460Magnum View Post
Is this normal for the Montana, or should I make the effort to send it back for another unit prior to getting this one set up the way I want it. I don't want it fail due to water damage during a long journey.

I spent a lot of time searching the forums first (and found a lot of info regarding battery error messages and the potential need to place an earplug under the cover) however, I could not locate any comments on the specific issue of battery cover fit potentially impacting the waterproof quality of the unit.

Thanks in advance for any available info on this topic.
Sounds normal to me. The two Montanas here have never suffered from leaks in any way, through many heavy showers. Also, when the gps gets dirty, I usually wash it under a tap and never noticed any water getting in.

Besides, if it did get damaged, that's what your warranty's for.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
460Magnum OP
n00b
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 4
Thanks, Emmbeedee. Appreciate the info. Although different than what I was used to with the Zumo 660, sounds like not unusual for the Montana. I'll go with it and as you point out, if there are problems downstream, that's why we have warranties.
460Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
cavscout99
Gnarly Adventurer
 
cavscout99's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Moscow Idaho, US
Oddometer: 107
Montana

I got a Montana this past spring, overall it is great. However I got caught on my bike for about 5 min in a thunderstorm and the Montana stopped working, had water in the screen. when I contacted Garmin they told me that although it is water proof it should not be in the rain. They covered it his time but said it was a one time deal. Quote from Garmin email response "If you continue to use this on your motorcycle please keep a baggie on your bike so if you get caught in rain you can put it over the device so you don't have to worry about the pelting of the rain causing water to get inside the device". I think it is still one of the best GPS for dual sport, especially if you want to use it for other sports as well. I just think that the description on the website is a little misleading.
cavscout99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:17 AM   #5
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavscout99 View Post
I got a Montana this past spring, overall it is great. However I got caught on my bike for about 5 min in a thunderstorm and the Montana stopped working, had water in the screen. when I contacted Garmin they told me that although it is water proof it should not be in the rain. They covered it his time but said it was a one time deal. Quote from Garmin email response "If you continue to use this on your motorcycle please keep a baggie on your bike so if you get caught in rain you can put it over the device so you don't have to worry about the pelting of the rain causing water to get inside the device". I think it is still one of the best GPS for dual sport, especially if you want to use it for other sports as well. I just think that the description on the website is a little misleading.
This doesn't make sense. The Montana is supposed to pass IPX7 specs, meaning it can be submerged for 30 minutes in 1 meter of water.

IPX7 Defined

The number after the IPX denotes what level of protection is afforded against water. The scale ranges from IPX0 to IPX8. The first standard, zero, means the device has no water protection. Eight means the device is fully submersible, like a scuba diver's watch or depth gauge. IPX7 means the device is submersible for 30 minutes maximum, for no deeper than one meter without suffering water damage. A meter is about 39 inches, or a little bit longer than a yard. If the device is submerged for longer than 30 minutes, it will suffer damage, or if the device is brought deeper than 1 meter, it will suffer damage.



Read more: Standards for an IEC 529 IPX7 | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7729279_sta...#ixzz2CfN1oSRC
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer
 
abhibeckert's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Cairns, Australia
Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
This doesn't make sense. The Montana is supposed to pass IPX7 specs, meaning it can be submerged for 30 minutes in 1 meter of water.
Correct, garmin says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmin
An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX8 designation is for continuous underwater use.
What Garmin does not talk about is "driving rain".

I looked it up years ago and just tried to find a source but can't... Anyway, as far as I know 7 definitely does not cover water that is moving at highway speeds. I think even IPX8 (the highest IP level) does not guarantee protection against water moving at highway speeds.

Basically, you can ride in the rain but only if your device is behind some kind of windshield, unless the manufacturer specifically mentions what speed water it can handle (eg: a marine GPS might handle "driving rain" but boats are slower than motorcycles so I still wouldn't trust it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavscout99
5 min in a thunderstorm and the Montana stopped working, had water in the screen. when I contacted Garmin they told me that although it is water proof it should not be in the rain. They covered it his time but said it was a one time deal.
That's nice of them to replace it.

I think you were probably also unlucky. 5 minutes is not very long and IPX7 *usually* can handle a bit of rain (actually, even non-waterproof devices can usually handle rain).

I wonder... did you try pulling the batteries out and letting it dry for a week or two? Pretty good chance it would work after that, as long as no salt water/etc got in. I'm guessing if you sent it back to Garmin they will have done that and used it for spare parts doing warranty repairs for other people.
__________________
We're building a community to help noobs choose the right oil: Stack Exchange's Proposed Motorcycle Community

abhibeckert screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 11:03 AM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,940
FWIW, my 60C and 2720 have both been on the bike through very severe rain without a problem. I am shocked if the Montana is not as waterproof as they are.

ETA: I just checked on the Garmin site and they are both rated at IPX7.
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly
 
Twilight Error's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: The Submarine Mines
Oddometer: 22,573
My Montana 600 has been submerged (~1' when I rolled my canoe), it still works many months later.
__________________
If you're all about the destination, take a fucking flight.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014