User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #526
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Hey John,
Nice to see you using the tent and enjoying your vacation. I've been lurking and enjoying all that you write. I went riding a good bit of dirt yesterday here in the local area with a fellow inmate and he made the statement "this is not adventure riding". What you are doing is "ADVENTURE RIDING" I'm sure the pictures do not do it any justice. I know that the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" is not a true statement. I am so impressed with all that you have shared and really appreciate it. I will continue to keep up and hope that you make it to the end of the rainbow and back. Good Times my friend......
Grits&Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #527
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Radical View Post
I" don't want to turn into a papparazzi scum photographer so I kept my camera in my pocket. You'll just have to imagine 5 slim women with beautifully coifed hair crossing cobblestone streets in stilletto heels with their long flowing gowns tucked in their crotch....."

Great word picture, Juanito, but as they say, a picture vale mil palabras.

Here's my support for you to unleash the inner papparazzo!
Okay Free Radical,

In your honor as Chief Executive in charge of Advertising and Art Photography I'll post more pics of beautiful Latina women. There's no shortage of subjects. Anything to get you off the couch and riding south.

I can't believe how ripped some of these indiginous women's legs are. They look like triathlete's with rippling muscles as they climb the stairs. Must be all the walking and mountain paths. I could do a photo-essay on the legs of Mayan village women. Probably not what you were interested in though.

Saludos,
Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 07:44 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #528
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneggz View Post
Hey John,
Nice to see you using the tent and enjoying your vacation. I've been lurking and enjoying all that you write. I went riding a good bit of dirt yesterday here in the local area with a fellow inmate and he made the statement "this is not adventure riding". What you are doing is "ADVENTURE RIDING" I'm sure the pictures do not do it any justice. I know that the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" is not a true statement. I am so impressed with all that you have shared and really appreciate it. I will continue to keep up and hope that you make it to the end of the rainbow and back. Good Times my friend......
Hi grneggz,

I haven't been tenting this week, but in northern Mexico the Sam-I-am tent came in quite handy. It has served me well thanks to your generosity. I'm still getting my ride report/camping mojo down. I'm heading over to Quintana Roo after Palenque and hope to get some camping in.

And I wouldn't discount the adventurous qualities of riding around rural Texas. Some of the most adventurous riding so far this trip was keeping up with slowoldguy on the Texas backroads at the Roll the Bones rally. Adventure riding is a state of mind. There is plenty of great ADVriding in your backyard. You don't have to ride to South America to have a lot of fun. Plenty of great places to ride in the good old US of A.

Best,
John Downs
Old 11-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #529
advrockrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
keep it up!!!

Awesome RR, a few days riding money coming your way. Thanks and keep up the good work. With all of the donations you must be making at least 10 cents an hour..
advrockrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #530
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by advrockrider View Post
Awesome RR, a few days riding money coming your way. Thanks and keep up the good work. With all of the donations you must be making at least 10 cents an hour..
Hi advrockrider,

I like that name! It'll look good on the gas tank. And thanks for the donation. I'll put it to good use keeping you guys entertained while you plan your next ride.

Muchas gracias,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 08:01 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #531
nightflyer
Hors contrôle

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Crashmaistro,

Google translate doesn't do pilotspeak translation so it took me a while to figure out you were flying from Bonn/Cologne to Shenzhen and Chinese air traffic control wasn't responding on your controller pilot data link communications as you were preparing to drop in to the L-888 route north of the Himalayas.
Saludos,
Juanito
Man you are good with those search engines. Crashmaster was being modest but L888 is probably the MTCP route with the highest grid's MORA there is around, you are right: quite adventurous

Sorry, end of hijack, keep up the super good work on this report, your pictures are fantastic...

P.S : Vince, PM sent!
nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #532
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyer View Post
Man you are good with those search engines. Crashmaster was being modest but L888 is probably the MTCP route with the highest grid's MORA there is around, you are right: quite adventurous

Sorry, end of hijack, keep up the super good work on this report, your pictures are fantastic...

P.S : Vince, PM sent!
Hijack away. As a valued sponsor I take a keen interest in what Vince is up to. If he's been getting high on the job again I want to know. And it sounds like L-888 is as high as you can get with the highest minimum off route altitude in the world.

I learn a lot on these ride reports.

Bon chance,
Jean Thomas
Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #533
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Crashmaistro,

Google translate doesn't do pilotspeak translation so it took me a while to figure out you were flying from Bonn/Cologne to Shenzhen and Chinese air traffic control wasn't responding on your controller pilot data link communications as you were preparing to drop in to the L-888 route north of the Himalayas.

Sounds adventurous to me. And I agree, nightflyer needs to post up some pics of the Pamir Hwy when he gets down there. Stunning area of the world.

Saludos,
Juanito
Very good!

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #534
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Huajuapan

Hi John

I stopped for the night in Huajuapan, not far from Oaxaca, where I'm headed today. The rooster in the back yard at my motel got me up at 4:45 so I had lots of time to get caught up on your awesome report. It is interesting to see your stone mason's take on what you see. i like how you can figure out when and who did the work you see.

As an ex Air Traffic Controller, I was standing outside the hotel last evening looking at potholed roads beat up cars and scooters go by (and lovin' it) when I looked up and saw what appeared to be a brand new MV Augusta helicopter go by low and fast. A study in contrasts. That chopper has to be worth millions

I am still a few days behind you but I really hope we meet up. I'm really enjoying my ride and your report, keep up the great reporting

Dwight (Kedgi)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:40 AM   #535
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Hi Dwight,

I am heading over to the Yucatan to explore and wait for the rainy season to abate further south. From reading your report I imagine you will be traveling straight south to catch your ride across the Darien in a couple three weeks.

You are doing an excellent job on your ride report, especially as it sounds like this is your first time down here. It is always interesting to see these areas viewed through fresh eyes. Keep up the good work!

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 11-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #536
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Thumb

Finally caught up. Thanks for providing several days worth of enjoyable reading - really appreciate your take on everything you've seen so far. I donated a tank of petrol for ya

I am that guy that has a wife and kids keeping him home from a big trip, but I am a lucky man. My wife is ready and willing to hop on some bikes and head south as soon as our kids are out of the house. In the meantime, I have a lot of fun riding around the beautiful areas where I live. Growing up on the Mexican border in South Texas, I have a soft spot for Mexico. My wife is from Venezuela, so I hope to make it through those countries with her and enjoy a different view on the world. Thanks for taking the time to post pictures and the ride report every day - I know how much work that is and it's appreciated!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #537
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,433
I didn't realize you would go to Yucatan after Palenque. Great ruins there too, Chichen Itza.

There be SNOW and the way over to the peninsula, that road is high elevation and changeable weather.

Dang that's a big detour. Good for you.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #538
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Hijack away. As a valued sponsor I take a keen interest in what Vince is up to. If he's been getting high on the job again I want to know. And it sounds like L-888 is as high as you can get with the highest minimum off route altitude in the world.

I learn a lot on these ride reports.

Bon chance,
Jean Thomas
Sorry for the hijack. Actually in the 744, L888 is a non event even with one engine out. 2 engines out, different story. Its spectacular scenery on a clear day. I really need to do L888 the proper way, on a bike.

Looking forward to Palenque through your lens. I passed on the Yucatan last time around and have regretted it a bit. Guess I just need to make another trip.

Did you happen to stop at the Tonina ruins outside Ocosingo? That's right up your alley for sure.

suerte, Vin

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #539
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Had a fun time today exploring Palenque today. What a great place! I'm definitely going to have to check out more of these ruins that I have been jetting by in years past. Who needs to go to the gym? Pyramid climbing is the new stairmaster. And I climbed them all except the two they had roped off for repairs.

Like yesterday, I'm going to have to go down the street to the internet cafe and upload pictures somewhere that isn't snail speed like this hotel I'm staying in.

Stay tuned for more entertainment this evening with great shots of Tricepilots novia de Palenque and a stone mason's view of the ruins.

More later....

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 11-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #540
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroRoo View Post
Finally caught up. Thanks for providing several days worth of enjoyable reading - really appreciate your take on everything you've seen so far. I donated a tank of petrol for ya

I am that guy that has a wife and kids keeping him home from a big trip, but I am a lucky man. My wife is ready and willing to hop on some bikes and head south as soon as our kids are out of the house. In the meantime, I have a lot of fun riding around the beautiful areas where I live. Growing up on the Mexican border in South Texas, I have a soft spot for Mexico. My wife is from Venezuela, so I hope to make it through those countries with her and enjoy a different view on the world. Thanks for taking the time to post pictures and the ride report every day - I know how much work that is and it's appreciated!
Hi NitroRoo,

Thans for the donation. A name like yours needs to go right up near the gas cap.

You are a lucky man. A great wife from Venezuela who likes the idea of taking off on a moto adventure. Que bueno!

Your kids will be out of the house before you know it. In the meantime I will provide pics and stories of the road south to give you some ideas for your future travels.

Kindest regards,
John Downs