User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,734
Cool2 Don't Let Your BR "P"- Skyline Driving in VA

Returning to Pennsylvania from a trip to see an elderly relative in North Carolina, I thought I'd ride back thru the mountains of Ol Virginny- tho I had no real "plan", as far as a route. Wound up coming up outta Greensboro on US 220, and suddenly it made sense to simply hop onto the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Which I did.

Tho i've ridden bits of the middle scection of the BRP (near Lynchburg/Appomatox) i never had a chance to ride an extended portion, nor had I ridden the Skyline Drive, the National Parks section. I got on the BRP below Roanoke with (I'm guess-timating) 625 miles showing - having ridden from my home to Raliegh and then up towards Roanoke- and proceeded to ride until dark 30- getting off the Skyline Drive at Luray/ US 211- with about 855 miles. Along the way, I saw several deer, including a MASSIVE trophy buck and another less impressive 8? 10? Point, crows ravens, hawks, a good sized black bear, AND a calico kitty.... But that whole ride there were ZERO cars in front of me!

Sure there were a couple vehicles going south, and cars all parked in the trail head lots and stuff- near the end there were a couple cars behind me. But not one single car blocked my passage this Sunday, 11/18/2012! 200 miles or so.
A rarity on that road fer sure, man. Here's some pix from along the way.

I got off the BRP where it becomes the Skyline Drive to gas up and called my GF to say hey, only to have her tell me that a good friend who'd recently moved in next door to us died last night! He wasn't in bad health as far as anyone knew! Sure goes to show you- ya just never know. Glad I was on the bike today.

It was AMAZING.
Cheers y'all. Eat dessert first, live each day like it's your last.

ricochetrider screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 07:52 AM
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,734
Laugh Day 2: Luray to Front Royal

Here are a few more pix from today. Again, I had the road mostly to myself. Not quite as good as yesterday, but pretty damn good- in any kind of fair season, this entire road would be anything from fairly busy to jammed to the gills.

I took several pix of this fog. It was literally coming right at me- by the time I got on the bike again, it was on me.

I posted this on Instagram and enhanced it slightly, cropped it just a little too. Check my Instagram pix if ya want... I am Ricochetrider over there as well. You'll find some crossover to my Tumblr pix there.

This morning's wildlife count:

1 buck deer
2 hawks
1 pileated woodpecker
1 black bear
1 barred owl
numerous crows, ravens, & squirrels

Left the S/D and hit US 522 North, thru West by-god Virginny, into Maryland, and up into good Ol Pennsyltuckey. Picked up the Lincoln Highway (US 30) and took
30> PA 75> PA 274> PA 74> PA 850> PA 34> PA 944> PA 114> I-81> PA 581 home. It was, without doubt-a
fan-flippin-tastic days ride.

Over all mileage, from the house down 81 to highway 17 and US 15 to Raleigh, NC, and back around to home taking the "scenic" route- 1077 miles of smiles.

Later skater.

ricochetrider screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 07:20 PM
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote