Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #31
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I ride a Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (feet forward) , a Goldwing, and an XT225 (fairly standard position) I like both, and have no issues with either. What I CAN'T ride are the "lean forward bikes with rearset pegs. 20 miles on a bike like that and I'm in enough pain to go to the emergency room. The main difference between feet forward and a standard riding position is with a feet forward position you can't stand on the pegs for bumps, so you need a decent rear suspension. For long rides I prefer it, I would have highway pegs on my Goldwing except the engine would make them stick out too far. With forward pegs and a riders backrest, it's just like riding a recliner down the road. Kind of like the difference between a regular bicycle and a recumbent. Everybody knows recumbents are more comfortable. OTOH, a standard riding position does give you a little better control of the bike. But feet forward is not at all uncomfortable or dangerous. If you find it hard on your back, get a riders backrest. You will be amazed at the difference.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #32
bvkamp
agent provocateur

Oddometer: 1,525
If you are tall (I'm 6'6") forward controls are nice. My legs bend at a 90 degree angle on my Softail. I simply do not fit well on standards. Even the BMW GS with a high seat feels cramped, although it handles better.
bvkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #33
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
I learned early on while riding Harleys that you can't balance well (or at all, for that matter) with your feet stretched out in front of you.
Maybe you can't, but there are plenty of people who can. I can easily run the MSF "box" at slower than walking speed on my Night Train with 4" extensions on the forward controls, and I've done the entire Lee Parks Total Control class with it as well. Never dropped the bike once either.
'05Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #34
Vbird
In Room 237

Oddometer: 784
Rode a FF control bike for about 8 weeks. Not hard to get used to the placement, but won't do it again. 30 min was about my limit vs. 14+ hrs on any other bike I've ever ridden. Never again.
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #35
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 1,039
I haven't tried forward controls with pegs but long distance rides with forward controls and floorboards is not a problem.

Rollin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #36
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Of course a lot of people put forward PEGS on their bikes just to be able to change leg positions on long rides. But the biggest issue for me with forward controls is I have a very whacked back and the pressure just gets pushed to the lower spine. But when I was a kid, my back in perfect shape, I still found them to be uncomfortable for anything but short runs.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #37
Anteraan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
The first cruiser I ever rode was a Honda Fury, moderately forward controls - but compared to my N250 and my road bicycles...it felt strange for about the first 10-15 miles, then I got to enjoying it. Going in, I really thought I wouldn't, but I wanted to give it a fair shot. I could have stayed on that bike all day. That said, I am a personal trainer/rehab guy, so I spend plenty of time making sure this 42 year-old back is still "strong like ox." I can certainly see from a biomechanics standpoint where someone with lumbar issues would run away from a bike like that.

Even though I enjoyed my ride on that Fury (and a couple others since), I still prefer my feet under me, and believe that to be a superior position from which to control a 2-wheeled vehicle, from a physics standpoint.

Ape hangers, I have ZERO use for. I also think they look dumb as feck.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #38
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Again, if you have comfort issues with forward controls, a riders backrest is the answer. Takes ALL the stress off your back. Think about it. How do you sit in a car? Feet forward with a seat back for support. It's the most natural seating position there is. All spacecraft use such a seating position, from Mercury through the space shuttle.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #39
Jonny955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Again, if you have comfort issues with forward controls, a riders backrest is the answer. Takes ALL the stress off your back. Think about it. How do you sit in a car? Feet forward with a seat back for support. It's the most natural seating position there is. All spacecraft use such a seating position, from Mercury through the space shuttle.
When was the last time an astronaut had to use his body to control his spacecraft?

It's a completley different requirement and it's why racing bikes are built the way they are with low bars and rearsets - for more control, if not comfort!

If you are never going to stand up on the pegs or move around in the seat for more dynamic control, then the FF riding positon can work fine. For road use, I prefer a 'standard' riding position and choosing an Adventure bike means I have more leg room anyway, If I had to sit back and lower down (FF position), I would insist on top-notch rear suspension to reduce those shock-loads to my spine!

Lack of suspension travel/quality was one major irk during an otherwise very enjoyable test ride on a Sportster.

Jon
Jonny955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #40
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanotti View Post
I recently rode a Harley Softail Slim ( http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839630 ) and really liked the overall bike.

The big change for me was using forward controls vs having my feet under me. I have ridden standard bikes for 30 years and wonder how long it would take to get used to forward controls.

Does anyone regularly switch betweeen these two types of controls and get used to it quickly?

I have both, and just switch between the two no issues. I find it a non issue....
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #41
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Maybe you can't, but there are plenty of people who can. I can easily run the MSF "box" at slower than walking speed on my Night Train with 4" extensions on the forward controls, and I've done the entire Lee Parks Total Control class with it as well. Never dropped the bike once either.
Respect.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #42
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,555
Another "non-issue" rider here.

After a dozen years of sportbike/KLR riding I got my first cruiser last year, a HD Softail Deluxe, and love it.

I took the footboards off and put pegs on for a more natural foot angle, more leg room with my 35" inseam, and more cornering clearance. Another benefit I found was the ability to occasionally extend my legs out fully and rest them on top of the pegs. And I still have a lot of fun on my Superbikes and KLR.

Me, starting a new HD cruiser trend, ATGATT and hi-viz. Oh, and I'm thin. Have fun, Mark H.

AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #43
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Respect.
To be fair, I'm not God's gift to riding, I've just been practicing on this bike for nearly 8 years. And doing that stuff on a Softail is a ton more difficult than it is on a Touring bike. The poor front-end geometry makes for a lot of body english, clutch slippage, rear brake dragging, and profanity in order to make it dance.
'05Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #44
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Switching is a non-issue for me. I can go back and forth between just about anything without difficulty.

Comfort is a semi-issue for me. Oddly, I've found that curled riding position to be the most comfortable for a longish ride if on a pegs forward bike.

Control is an issue for me. I do not feel secure with a bike seated pegs-forward. I do not feel I can toss the bike around the way I can with my feet downwards. I cannot stand up on the pegs worth a darn on a pegs-forward bike.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #45
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanotti View Post
Does anyone regularly switch betweeen these two types of controls and get used to it quickly?
In the 2 years I owned my nightster I went between my VFR and Husky 610 regularly and once I set up the suspension on the HD I preferred it most of the time and took it on 350 mile one way weekends often over the VFR (which never fit me for some reason). I'd own another in a heartbeat and miss it more than most other street bikes I have owned.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote