Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #61
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by max57 View Post
Oh I forgot you mentioned that. No, it doesn't smoke. Put half a cup of Marvel Mystery Oil in your tank. It probably needs to run. I have owned mine since it was new and it has been on synthetic since break in. You might have some old stuff to run out of it. Did you check the tiny slow jet? Pretty zippy scooter,huh?
I put synthetic in last week but I'll try that Marvel Mystery Oil, what is that anyhow? I'm not worried about it smoking, I smoke too.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #62
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Found my new topcase for the scoot in the cellar.

preformed interior painstakenly removed from the bottom...

I'll make mounts at work tomorrow. Would have liked to have used the JCWhitney topcase on the DR for both bikes but they don't sell the mounting plate separately and it'd be tough to fab one besides the dewalt box will look cool if someone doesn't try to rip it off the bike thinking there's a saw inside.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 06:52 PM
Old 11-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #63
max57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
I put synthetic in last week but I'll try that Marvel Mystery Oil, what is that anyhow? I'm not worried about it smoking, I smoke too.
No one seems to know what is in it, but it smells a little like peppermint. It removes stuff from the fuel system. Just half a cup in the tank.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #64
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by max57 View Post
No one seems to know what is in it, but it smells a little like peppermint. It removes stuff from the fuel system. Just half a cup in the tank.
Reading the reviews for this stuff some people are also putting some in with their oil. Have you used it that way or just in the gas?

Tom Waits
Old 11-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #65
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Poll

Gonna etch a vinyl decal for the huge scratch on the front of the scoot. Which font do you like?

Tom Waits
Old 11-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #66
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
If it was my scooter I would not put anything in the oil but oil. Modern oils and synthetics will do a fine job of lubricating and cleaning up your engine. These are not engines that sludge up. If it's not showing signs of stuck rings, leave it alone. If you can't stand not trying something a little "Seafoam" in the gas is OK. Not too much. These are pretty simple, low performance 4 cycle engines that can't over rev. They are very durable. Don't over think it; ride it!
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #67
max57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentwest View Post
If it was my scooter I would not put anything in the oil but oil. Modern oils and synthetics will do a fine job of lubricating and cleaning up your engine. These are not engines that sludge up. If it's not showing signs of stuck rings, leave it alone. If you can't stand not trying something a little "Seafoam" in the gas is OK. Not too much. These are pretty simple, low performance 4 cycle engines that can't over rev. They are very durable. Don't over think it; ride it!
It can be used in oil, but as Wentwest said, there is not much point. I hope your scooter stops smoking, it's just not right.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #68
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've put some carb cleaner in the gas, I'll just leave it at that for now. Thanks for the input guys. Struggling with a few stripped bolts tonight.

Tom Waits
Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #69
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Put the scoot back together last night with the exhaust and air box secured properly. Sounds much better. New top case is mounted also. I think the case looks perfect on this bike.

Worried that someone will rip the case off thinking there's a saw inside I created this sticker online. Should have it in a week or so.

Tom Waits
Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #70
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
I would avoid using the "Spacy" name, as tempting as it sounds. People won't get it, and they'll think it's either some Chinese scooter, or that you're a huge fan of Kevin Spacey but couldn't spell it right. She looks good though, WAY better than my '86 did when I dragged it home!
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #71
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbishoppcm View Post
I would avoid using the "Spacy" name, as tempting as it sounds. People won't get it, and they'll think it's either some Chinese scooter, or that you're a huge fan of Kevin Spacey but couldn't spell it right. She looks good though, WAY better than my '86 did when I dragged it home!
I'm not going to use it. Just got a "Ride the World" decal to stick over the scratch.
It is in decent shape. Plenty of rust down below but all in all I'm very pleased with how quickly it's come together. All the lights worked, brakes work (sort of), dash works but the clock battery is toast, and it seems to be running just like it should. Rode with earplugs today and heard some squeaks somewhere up front, I'll have to check that out. Otherwise I think it's good to ride. Just need to trade in my VT tags for NY now.

Tom Waits
Old 11-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #72
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Believe it or not, sometimes the speedometer bushing at the instrument head squeals like crazy, especially if your cable was broken and it has not turned in years. You have to take the instruments off, turn the whole thing over and oil the bushing. You can replace the clock battery at the same time.

Look at the tech tip #27 in www.ch250.net.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #73
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Interesting. I'd have never looked there for the squeak. It doesn't seem to be in the suspension or the wheel. I'm guessing I have to pull all the front plastic to remove the dash. Just got it back together too. I'll take it out in a parking lot without my helmet on and see if that's where it's coming from. Thanks.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 07:28 PM
Old 12-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #74
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

This should solve any confusion about the contents of my top case...right?

Tom Waits
Old 12-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #75
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Got to the speedo cable tonight and lubed that up. Couldn't loosen the screw at the hub so I pulled the plastic under the dash and was able to easily access it there. Lubed it up, did a few laps around the block and it sounds like it's quieted down quite a bit. I'll ride it to work tomorrow and see if the noise is gone. I'm almost certain that was the culprit.
Thanks for the heads up Wentwest, saved me a ton of time trying to figure it out.

Tom Waits