User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Alpine Scouts Leak...Suggestions?

Hi guys, the title says it all...Love the boots. Great support, and super comfortable. The problem is that I wore them for the first time in the rain the other day and my feet got pretty damp. (Hey, it hasn't rained in So Cal in ages).

The boots are deemed "waterproof," but certainly aren't. Do you guys have any suggestions for waterproofing them? I appreciate your advice!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
This is the first I have ever heard of Scouts leaking. My pair has so far been completely waterproof and many people have reported them being completely waterproof even up to the very top. You shoul probably contact your retailer to exchange for a new pair. Also do you tuck your pants in?
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

I am puzzled as well. Three hours of riding in medium showers down the California coast and my socks were damp...I ride in Aerostich AD 1 pants, they are over the boot.

I also sent an email to Alpine Stars advising them of the problem.

Cheers,
Steve

AdventurePoser screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 08:41 PM
AdventurePoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 707
A-Stars have always been good in exchange of leaking gear for me. Takes time but they do it. I should know-I've exchanged about half of every piece of waterproof gear I bought from them to use testing my stuff.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfFleece View Post
A-Stars have always been good in exchange of leaking gear for me. Takes time but they do it. I should know-I've exchanged about half of every piece of waterproof gear I bought from them to use testing my stuff.

Good to know...I had the same time with a jacket. When the mfg asked me why I didn't return it sooner, I told him it hasn't rained in So Cal since LAST December...and I wasn't riding that day...

Same with my Scouts. Love the boots, but I want to take them to South America next fall, and for the money they cost, I think they should be waterproof....

Cheers,
Steve
Old 11-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
a2ronm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Wow...synchronicity of the universe, my 2010 Scouts started leaking this weekend the last 150 miles of a 2,000 mile trip. Riding for 2 hours in constant rain, both boots had enough water in them to slosh back and forth during accel/decel. Luckily I was on my way home, in warmer South Carolina temperatures (I had been in the New England cold) when they started leaking. I was wearing over-the-boot Gore-Tex pants, so the water didn't come in over the boot tops.

In over 40,000 miles of riding in these Scouts, this was the first "failure".

I sent an enquiry to Alpinestars yesterday as well asking about suggested options.
a2ronm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Titan1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
no issues here...

I have had my Scouts for a year, and ridn in heavy rain but no leaks so far. I have stood in ankle deep water, no leaks either. I do tend to ratchet the clips down very tight, almost uncomfortable, perhaps thats my key to staying dry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW6T2U12wmI
Titan1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wow, some report bone dry, and others report wet feet. I agree that wet feet in So Cal winter temps (66f) is not a problem other than having feet that are stewing for hours on end. However, wet feet in Patagonia at 48f will be...I am hoping Alpinestars will remedy this problem...

Best,
Steve
Old 11-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1969 View Post
I have had my Scouts for a year, and ridn in heavy rain but no leaks so far. I have stood in ankle deep water, no leaks either. I do tend to ratchet the clips down very tight, almost uncomfortable, perhaps thats my key to staying dry.
Hmm...I wear mine on the looser side, but the water seems to be coming in thru the boot leather itself around the toes and top of my foot.

Still waiting to hear back from AlpineStars...

Cheers,
Steve
Old 11-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
I mink oil every pair of riding boots I own even before I wear them the first time. Takes care of any potential leaking around threads. Hey, it works for minks and ferrets so why not for us? Also makes them nice and soft but has an odd odor....
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
Hi guys, the title says it all...Love the boots. Great support, and super comfortable. The problem is that I wore them for the first time in the rain the other day and my feet got pretty damp. (Hey, it hasn't rained in So Cal in ages).

The boots are deemed "waterproof," but certainly aren't. Do you guys have any suggestions for waterproofing them? I appreciate your advice!

Cheers,
Steve
Get some Sealskinz. Then it won't matter if the boots leak.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,404
Been running scouts for several seasons and they have been 100% waterproof even when standing in water crossings and such.

I did exchange a set last year for defective stitching and they were very helpful and fast with turnaround
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
Get_Bent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 930
My scouts leak as well. In fairless there's a hell of a lot of stitching in them, I Assumed they would leak.

Picked them up in 2009, I wonder if there is a return policy?
Get_Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
TrailCruiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Only had my Scouts for about a year but no leaks. Bought them for use with my KLR, now use them with my ATV. Have never stood in water with them but in some pretty sloppy slush and rain, no problem.
BTW, these are surprising comfortable and supple boots, my favorites!
TrailCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 707
I'll say it again. Test every piece of waterproof gear when you get it home. Bucket test for gloves, boots, and similar.
Hose or shower test for jackets/pants. I see PLENTY of failers in all the brands. Less in the higher price stuff most of the time but all the same enough to KNOW not to assume it will work as advertized.

Agreed: those of us in the NorthEast know what it's liie to cover 400 miles in 45 degree weather with wet body parts. Not fun.

Wet weather stuff is what I make and I ride in the rain a lot to test it. I have a closet FULL of stuff that did not make the grade. Some is mine that were prototypes, others were for a dealer friend trying new product lines, some are for other manufactures, and some to try out the competition so I would know for myself. I'd never trust any garmet without first testing it at home is my $.02 for the consumer. YMMV
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote