Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Honda XR 650 R - Electrics Question PLS Help!

I owe a 2001 BRP and it is the version without battery. Its a kicker of course. I now wonder where I could connect the cable for my nav system (Zumo 660).
Although I am familiar with all kind of technical stuff I am not so sure with electrics. Can I just go and look for a cable somewhere in the wiring and connect my Zumo?
And what will happen if the regulator fails, I expect it will kill my nav system instantly.

Thanks for any tipps and hints!

Cheers
Steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
There is a thread on ADV called "XR650R Electricity" that is over 50 pages long and will keep you entertained for days but you will know everything you may or may not want to know about your bike. Sorry I can't give you the link but that is above my skills.

Now the abbreviated version :

1) There are two types of elecrtical systems - Alternating Current (AC) and Direct Current (DC)
Your 650R provides AC and your Garmin needs DC so you will need to convert a portion of your bikes AC to DC

2) Stock XR650R system is big enough to run the stock electrical accessories and not much more. It puts out approximately 75 Watts power and consumes approximately 50-55 Watts - This is only the lighting load of headlight and tail light. The ignition electrics are supplied by it's own system and are not part of the lighting system load.

I think what you are wanting to do is possible with the stock system as long as it has had no additional loads already added. I would purchase a small "bridge rectifier" at an electronics supplier - converts AC to DC- and connect it to the brown wire at the headlight and ground, then the proper garmin vehicle adapter cable to the DC terminals, you may need to add a small smoothing capacitor but I doubt it. Use caution with this as older Garmin units were able to connect to a very wide range of DC voltages - I think my old GPSV will operate on 5-40VDC but I think your newer unit is more sensitive to voltage inputs.

Good luck and if you have a electronics buddy I would enlist their help.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Many thanx for the short version
How long do the nav systems batteries last?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
ODSC1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
The European versions of the XR650R are different from the North American versions. The Euro bikes have an AC circuit and a DC curcuit.. It shouldn't be a problem to hook up your GPS to the DC curcuit. You could get DC power from the horn wire or the brakelight switches. Here is a link to the schematic for your bike, http://www.honda-xr650r.com/wp-conte...ng-Diagram.png .

Hope that helps.

Brian
ODSC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Many thanx Brian, that is what I hoped. I will go and find a DC + line to hook in the GPS. Hope that the voltage is stable.

Thx again for the wiring diagram!

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
I did not notice where you were - I wish our 650R's were delivered like that, it would have made things so much simpler. Have fun with a great bike.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thx mate