Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #331
Crashed Bad
Big man, little bike

Oddometer: 2,185
It was good seeing you John Sr and Sue. That's some place you have there! Ed, how are you felling? You looked more than a little worked over when I passed through.

Really looking forward to getting the full download when everyone gets back.

Brett, Scott, Jerry, as well as the rest of the crew-let me know if you need a stopover in Phoenix on the way back. I've got a spare bed, plenty of couches and tent space.

Rick
Old 11-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #332
HalfFast
Double Secret Pit Ninja

Oddometer: 251
I got home to San Jose Ca about 0800 this morning and John just crossed the border twenty minutes ago. The rest of the crew is driving East, some as far as South Florida! It was an epic adventure with a fantastic group of guys. We were blessed to have a decent plan and a lot of perseverance and luck! Getting a second place podium finish was the icing on that very rough cake. I still have cross rutting nightmares about my silt section from Vizcaino to San Ignacio. A lot of teams were forced to throw in the towel on that section.

but in the end raising nearly 20k and awareness for the Wounded Warrior Project makes all the hard work worth it.

keep an eye out cause we have some pretty cool stories to tell. Scott has promised a race report.

2012 2nd place NORRA Mexican 1000
2013 1st place NORRA Mexican 1000
HalfFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #333
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFast View Post
I got home to San Jose Ca about 0800 this morning and John just crossed the border twenty minutes ago. The rest of the crew is driving East, some as far as South Florida! It was an epic adventure with a fantastic group of guys. We were blessed to have a decent plan and a lot of perseverance and luck! Getting a second place podium finish was the icing on that very rough cake. I still have cross rutting nightmares about my silt section from Vizcaino to San Ignacio. A lot of teams were forced to throw in the towel on that section.

but in the end raising nearly 20k and awareness for the Wounded Warrior Project makes all the hard work worth it.

keep an eye out cause we have some pretty cool stories to tell. Scott has promised a race report.
Really looking forward to the epic tale! You guys are amazing, well done!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #334
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,649
John Sr. and Sue. Great to meet you. Wish I had known you were going to stop over at Canyon Raceway. I would have run down to say hello.

A pic of John and a couple others from the crew. Sorry, I forget the names. Maybe someone can fill in the blanks.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #335
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,743
Awesome job. It was great to meet you guys and trade stories. Hopefully we can go riding one day.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #336
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,416
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #337
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

Oddometer: 315
Scott, That's Scott in the middle. Chris on the right & John Jr.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #338
Bronco Driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
I got home yesterday about 3pm. Was I ever glad to be home.
I just cannot thank, all who were involved,enough. What we were able to pull off was an incredible task.For a team of newbies,one with Baja experience and an old has been,to finnish let alone on the podium is a Titanic feat.What it comes down to is the intestinal fortitude these guys have.One term that was used is "these boys aint got no quit in them".
Outstanding job to each and every person on the team.It couldn't have been done without any of you!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #339
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Old 11-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #340
wittyusername
Baja Basketball

Oddometer: 120
Just a quick update...Brett, myself, and my dad (Jerry) are still driving east. Getting out of Texas now. Slept at rest stops for the past 2 nights. I just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone including our sponsors. I'll send out a ride report and a proper 'thank you' as soon as I can.

Scott
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #341
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Dang... shame the ADV crew isn't giving you some couches and showers. Anybody on the south coast got room for these guys?

I'd love it if you linked the RR up on this thread as well, and I don't spend much time in the main threads but this one pings me when somebody replies.

Awesome effort guys, very nice!

Justin
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #342
lawnman
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Kudos

Kudos to the team, both the effort and the results. Not sure which part of this story (to date) gave me the shivers the most, the tracking of the race or the story at Arlington National Cemetery. Can't wait to hear the rest, but if if not another word was posted this has been an awesome tale so far.

Scott, when you get time I'd like your advice on how to get a project started. Some time back I purchased a dirt bike magazine subscription and told the magazine to sent it to the Wounded Warriors Foundation. It got me thinking of how many left over dirt/street bike magazines and CDs all of us who participate in this sport have piled up in some back room somewhere. I'd like to begin an effort that would result in these items being sent to the Wounded Warriors Foundation and/or Veterans Administration hospitals for distribution to where these patriots are recovering. So two questions: (1) would this be of interest to recovering patients, and (2) where would I start?

Thanks to you and the team for your service to our country.
lawnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #343
Cornbread82 OP
Sir Crash A Lot!

Oddometer: 379
Hey all, made it back home last night Scott and I will be posting up some reports on everything and I am sure that John, Allan, and Ed will be putting some post up also. It was a great time and was so cool to meet some of you at the race! I would like to thank all of you that have given us advice leading up to the race and who have also supported us getting tshirts, and donating on our site.

Just to let all of you know this "is not" a one time thing, I am working with a lawyer right now to start my own nonprofit that will be focused on helping Wounded Warriors get started or back into racing. I hope to have everything up and running within the next 6 months.

lawnman if you would like some help getting something started send me an email at Brett@raceforthewounded.com

Again thank all of you for your support!!

One more thing, I got to meet Frog and he is a hard man doing that race solo!!! He also gave the best speech calling out the driver of the truck that hit him!! Congrats to all that raced, and Frog you are the man!!!

Brett
Cornbread82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #344
wittyusername
Baja Basketball

Oddometer: 120
Home

Well I'm finally 'home'. I arrived in South Florida last night. This morning I woke up and had no idea where I was. It was a weird feeling. But it's definitely nice to be motionless for a few days. I've been on motion for about 4 weeks straight. All in all, we traveled about 15,000 miles on road and on dirt over some of the wildest terrain I could imagine. One thing everyone can agree on...silt sucks!

I made it back from Baja with a finisher's pin, a podium finish, a forearm still full of cactus thorns, 2 black eyes, hours of amazing GoPro footage, memories to last a lifetime, a love of that crazy peninsula, and a newfound respect for my teammates. Quitting is harder than moving the bike forward. Each teammate made it his only goal to simply get the bike to the next rider.

More important than our finisher's pin or even the podium finish, is the fact that we were able to raise just shy of $20,000 for our wounded veterans. This is truly incredible. Thank you!

I'll be putting together a ride report as soon as I can. There's just so much to say.

This isn't the end of 'RaceForTheWounded'. Stay tuned for bigger news... One thing is for sure, Baja hasn't seen the last of RaceForTheWounded!

I want to second what Brett said about Frog. That's one tough M'fer. Congrats. Hands down the best speech all night.

I also want to thank our entire pit/chase crew John Sr, Sue, Fred, Becky, Hup, Chili Reno, Russ, Kyle, David, Jerry (my dad), and Trey.

And I can't forget our sponsors. Without your help, we'd never of gotten to the finish line.

Again...thank you all for your support and dedication to helping our wounded vets.
Attached Images

wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #345
Bronco Driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
2012 B1k

I've been sitting here at home since Tuesday trying to decide what to write and all I can think off is HOLY CRAP we did it.
Brett and I did the Northern sections and the other guys did the Southern.
Brett started and handed off the bike to me at Ojos Negros,38 miles in. I took it down to Borego and Brett got back on and took it to San Felipe where I got back on and took it to Puertecitos.
From Ojos I was doing pretty wel except fo a couple of slow speed get offs in the deep sand sections.No big deal! Down the Goat Trail and on to the pavement. Good for a short rest.Good.--Then down the San Matios wash. Not a problem-------'till some locals in a Jeep Cherokee that I met coming UP the wash. I couldn't get the bike slowed down or turned in the deep sand and almost missed them.I collided with their left rear quarter panel(hope I dented it).This girl,who spoke english got out screaming "I'm sorry,are you OK?" The others picked up the bike and asked if this was the course.Yes it was. The one guy was trying to kick start the bike and I told him "button". He looked at me with the look of no comprehention of what I just said.I got on the bike and said"button"as I pushed the starter button and rode off.I took the bike to Borego and handed it off to Brett.
Now off to San Felipe for a 50 mile stint
John Sr.is driving and Sue is passing me water,GaterAid, bannanas and apples.We finnaly found Baja Pits to wait for Brett.But ,not quite yet------We got John Jr's suburban stuck in the sand in 4 wheel drive-------------Almost-------------two 60+ guys with extensive off road experience---HUBS LOCKED-----What? OK we rember know. the suburban drives very well in the sand with the hubs locked.We attribute our mistake to our 4 wheel drive vehicles don't require hubs being locked. (that's our story and we're sticking to it)
After a short wait Brett arrives.The bike is doing good so off I go.I'm thinking to myself"this is an easier section and I should be able to make some good time".I'm on the Old Puertesitos Hwy cruzing along at 65-70,just so happy wi-----------------I hit something in the sand and it just jerked the handlebars out of my hands.Oh CRAP--look for a soft place to land.Well that didn't work.I guess I laid there on the ground for awhile because a local was asking me "Senior are you alive?" while I'm trying to breathe,and have an extreem headache and a shit load of pain in my left knee.All I could muster up to reply was "no".
He helped me turn on to my back and I started taking inventory.I by know realize I have rib damage -----Not good as I have 20 miles of very rough road to travel before giving the bike off to Brett again.I went down 2 or 3 more times and all I could hear was my voice telling the other riders"your only responsability is to get the bike to the next rider". The last time I went down I lost the front end climbing up a steep bank.My foot was caught under the bike and I was trying to get up and a crowd arrived out of nowhere.I heard a voice say"that's the Wounded Warrior guys". As I was getting up a guy kneeld down beside me and said"you are almost there,the Hwy is only 300 feet further".Was like he knew how far I had to go.The crowd got the bike off me and I got on and rode away to the cheeres and aplause from that crowd.
I got to the rider change and all were telling me to get off the bike-----I couldn't. I think I told John Sr "I can't".He said "put your foot on the peg and step off". From that point on all I remember is sitting in a chair and Brett riding off.
I spent the next 4 days waiting for the rest of the team to return to San Felipe.In extreme pain I might add.Knowing we finnished,but unaware that we were second in class.When Scott brought in the trophy I was very startled and proud to a member of this team.That's when the pain was not as bad.
Now that I'm home and my better half "forced" me to go get checked out. 1. Destroyed the remaining good parts of my knee---Getting a new one on the 14. 2.Ribs -2 broken and 2 more dislocated. 3. Head-All that know me, know it's not quite right anyway.
I'm still in awe that we finnished let alone a podium finnish. Just to finnish is a feat in it's self.
Thank You to all our sponsors and our support crew and most of all to Race For The Wounded for allowing me to be a part of "Mission"

Bronco Driver screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 07:12 PM
Bronco Driver is offline   Reply With Quote