User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #76
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,982
and a pretty crappy video of the car

kinda reminds me of the vid where Alfie tested the volvo last year in the treacherous environment of the quarry
hopefully without the same results come race time

looks like a few teams may be running evoque bodied cars
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #77
ZequeArgentina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Some news about Nasser testing in California today. (whata week, just before Baja 1000?!?!?!)
Any info on that?
ZequeArgentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #78
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,179
It doesn't seem like these guys are ready enough to be able to complete the Dakar. They've set themselves up to be an inspirational "overcoming challenges" racing team, which they most definitely are, but their disabilities won't be the thing that keeps them from finishing.

Here's another video about them on Vimeo (won't embed)
Death Valley Ride

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 05:17 PM
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #79
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,852
To achieve Dakar "finisher" status... a mental approach...

Re: this...^^^

Ned Suesse (neduro) made a comment/observation prior to his Dakar debut in 2012, during his preparation/lead up to the event - which I found to be most insightful in nature;

"A lot of people enter DAKAR with the goal of finishing... and end up geting caught up in competing..." (or words to that effect... I don't have an exact quote at hand).

The interesting thing with this comment (which is 110% spot on) is that for many competitors (especially those that fill the bottom two thirds of the starting field, or those attempting the Dakar - any rally for that matter - for the first time) approach the event with an expressed goal, training and physical/mechanical preparation regime, that they "just want to finish"... to make the DAKAR finish line.

It's true of both the Moto, Auto, Quad and SxS categories... competitors et out a plan/program (with consideration to budget constraints etc.) of how they are going to approach the rally, with an aim to finish...

... but often, once the flag drops - get caught up in the ferver of "competing".

You know the deal... on the start line interviews it's all; "Yeah... I'm gonna take it easy, ride/drive within myself... take care of the machine... I just want to finish... the result does not matter to me..."

Then typically (with some of the recent DAKAR's relatively easy day 1 & 2 legs) at the end of the second leg, while looking at the results sheets you will here these kind of comments; "Well geeze... I'm only 20 minutes behind so and so..." or "I was only taking it easy... and I'm in the top 100..." or similar.

Then the thought processes start to creep in; "You know... I reckon, if I just go a bit quicker tomorrow..." and there it begins. The original gameplan of "just finishing" becomes "let's press on for a result" and it is THAT which often brings the less experienced competitor undone in the long run.

If a capable driver/navigator in a soundly prepared 4WD competition vehicle (even a relatively modest one like the Bowler Tomcats that the R2Recovery team are planning on running), drive the course to a conservative pace/time plan of "finishing" each day (within the allotted time set for each leg), then there is a better than 50% chance to achieve this. But where the wheels fall off (literally) is when the driver/vehicle start to "push" above this envelope... things break... competitors make misstakes... you get stuck/broke... time/weariness starts to take its toll... and the team slip back down through the results list (from where they otherwise would have just trundled along) and the metaphoric "snow ball" catches up with them.

There is a French driver who has won the T2 (production category) of DAKAR multiple times (I think more than any other), and in the past one of his prime tactics for DAKAR was to NOT even look at the result sheet until the rest day. His gameplan was to drive the car to the terrain, and his understanding of what the vehicle could sustain/maintain (remember the T2 vehicles are by design - basically production vehicles equipped with some saftey and security equipment, but very limited modifications in terms of performance, suspension and chassis).

Once to the rest day (halfway point of the rally) he would look to the results. Often, many of his competitors were broken/further back because of overtaxing the material... and "Jippe" - still with a vehicle in good condition, could "compete" for the second week, having kept the material in good condition.

Similar stories of the Marathon and Malle Moto riders in the Moto category are also true.

Although the Race 2 Recovery team have no prior DAKAR/rally experience... obviously their time in military service and the skills/training they have from that put them in good stead. The fact that they have been injured in service of their country and the disabilities that they suffered as a result, make their challenge one that the media will - obviously - show interest in.

In the past there have been amputees/paraplegics that have entered the DAKAR and finished...some have done exceedingly well. That these ex-servicemen can take on the task and "finish", I believe is achievable provided that they stick to the expressed goal of "finishing"... Given their military background, it is not inconcievable that these guys can set that mission plan and follow it to execution... if they do so and not get caught up in the "race" then there is no reason they can't do it...*

And of course the CPR and rescue demonstrations for the media, assorted dignitries and ladies of the Woman's Military Auxilliary all make for good PR eh?

*Mind you one thing I would be planning - for the triple amputee (I assume he is the co-driver) is a set of second controls in the car - so when they get bogged in dunes, the able bodied (driver) can hop out an work the sand ladders/tow strap etc.) as I can't imagine flip flopping around with three prosthesis is going to be all that effective when bogged the Peru/Fiambal dunes etc.

For the 2013 Dakar, it does not seem there will be the "easy" transport/gravel stages the first couple of days... some hard core stages more or less from the start.

Roll on january... good luck everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #80
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,982
a hilux video

some hooning in the sand in a toyota

+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #81
ZequeArgentina
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Re: this...^^^

Ned Suesse (neduro) made a comment/observation prior to his Dakar debut in 2012, during his preparation/lead up to the event - which I found to be most insightful in nature;

"A lot of people enter DAKAR with the goal of finishing... and end up geting caught up in competing..." (or words to that effect... I don't have an exact quote at hand).

The interesting thing with this comment (which is 110% spot on) is that for many competitors (especially those that fill the bottom two thirds of the starting field, or those attempting the Dakar - any rally for that matter - for the first time) approach the event with an expressed goal, training and physical/mechanical preparation regime, that they "just want to finish"... to make the DAKAR finish line.

It's true of both the Moto, Auto, Quad and SxS categories... competitors et out a plan/program (with consideration to budget constraints etc.) of how they are going to approach the rally, with an aim to finish...

... but often, once the flag drops - get caught up in the ferver of "competing".

You know the deal... on the start line interviews it's all; "Yeah... I'm gonna take it easy, ride/drive within myself... take care of the machine... I just want to finish... the result does not matter to me..."

Then typically (with some of the recent DAKAR's relatively easy day 1 & 2 legs) at the end of the second leg, while looking at the results sheets you will here these kind of comments; "Well geeze... I'm only 20 minutes behind so and so..." or "I was only taking it easy... and I'm in the top 100..." or similar.

Then the thought processes start to creep in; "You know... I reckon, if I just go a bit quicker tomorrow..." and there it begins. The original gameplan of "just finishing" becomes "let's press on for a result" and it is THAT which often brings the less experienced competitor undone in the long run.

If a capable driver/navigator in a soundly prepared 4WD competition vehicle (even a relatively modest one like the Bowler Tomcats that the R2Recovery team are planning on running), drive the course to a conservative pace/time plan of "finishing" each day (within the allotted time set for each leg), then there is a better than 50% chance to achieve this. But where the wheels fall off (literally) is when the driver/vehicle start to "push" above this envelope... things break... competitors make misstakes... you get stuck/broke... time/weariness starts to take its toll... and the team slip back down through the results list (from where they otherwise would have just trundled along) and the metaphoric "snow ball" catches up with them.

There is a French driver who has won the T2 (production category) of DAKAR multiple times (I think more than any other), and in the past one of his prime tactics for DAKAR was to NOT even look at the result sheet until the rest day. His gameplan was to drive the car to the terrain, and his understanding of what the vehicle could sustain/maintain (remember the T2 vehicles are by design - basically production vehicles equipped with some saftey and security equipment, but very limited modifications in terms of performance, suspension and chassis).

Once to the rest day (halfway point of the rally) he would look to the results. Often, many of his competitors were broken/further back because of overtaxing the material... and "Jippe" - still with a vehicle in good condition, could "compete" for the second week, having kept the material in good condition.

Similar stories of the Marathon and Malle Moto riders in the Moto category are also true.

Although the Race 2 Recovery team have no prior DAKAR/rally experience... obviously their time in military service and the skills/training they have from that put them in good stead. The fact that they have been injured in service of their country and the disabilities that they suffered as a result, make their challenge one that the media will - obviously - show interest in.

In the past there have been amputees/paraplegics that have entered the DAKAR and finished...some have done exceedingly well. That these ex-servicemen can take on the task and "finish", I believe is achievable provided that they stick to the expressed goal of "finishing"... Given their military background, it is not inconcievable that these guys can set that mission plan and follow it to execution... if they do so and not get caught up in the "race" then there is no reason they can't do it...*

And of course the CPR and rescue demonstrations for the media, assorted dignitries and ladies of the Woman's Military Auxilliary all make for good PR eh?

*Mind you one thing I would be planning - for the triple amputee (I assume he is the co-driver) is a set of second controls in the car - so when they get bogged in dunes, the able bodied (driver) can hop out an work the sand ladders/tow strap etc.) as I can't imagine flip flopping around with three prosthesis is going to be all that effective when bogged the Peru/Fiambal dunes etc.

For the 2013 Dakar, it does not seem there will be the "easy" transport/gravel stages the first couple of days... some hard core stages more or less from the start.

Roll on january... good luck everyone!
Very good post.
It is realy that way.
Dakar 2010 I was at the start and have some simpel chats with a lot of southamerican drivers, and it is true everyone stating they were to start calm and try to reach the end.

I was at El nihuil (day 8) and everybody at the Bivouac looking for results to be published, looking for information on rivals or how did them performed compared to them.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #82
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270

Good read!

French vacation house for rent! Great riding area!

450 KTM exc
950 Adventure S
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #83
DruncleWill
CRASH TESTED

Oddometer: 258
Reported to be Nassar's new buggy.
https://twitter.com/LarsTH/status/27...871936/photo/1
DruncleWill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #84
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,924
In the emerging UTV/SSV/SXS class in T3 Light, these guys will be the ones to watch, 3 cars for 2013 from Xtreme Plus, the only SXS out of 6 to survive Dakar 2012 and with the highest level of Dakar focussed development to the cars out of any SXS on the planet to date.

Will be interesting to see the entry list as SXS is a rapidly growing class at most rallies world wide now.

http://www.xtremeplus.fr/

The 3 Xtreme Plus team XP900's bound for Dakar 2013 ready for loading on the ASO ship at Le Havre.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #85
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
Nassers buggy?

Old 11-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #86
ZequeArgentina
Gnarly Adventurer

No Rbby Gordon in dakar.com entry lists..........................
he may have a late entry anyway, but it is an indicato that he may not run this year
Old 11-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #87
DruncleWill
CRASH TESTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZequeArgentina View Post
No Rbby Gordon in dakar.com entry lists..........................
he may have a late entry anyway, but it is an indicato that he may not run this year
Not to worry, that list is as buggered up as the bike list.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #88
DruncleWill
CRASH TESTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Nassers buggy?

Here is the video -
http://www.marathonrally.com/news/da...vjDMQ8.twitter
Old 11-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #89
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,454
Hot damn, the Qatar Redbull team looks like a force to be reckoned with...lot's of potential there

Also nice not to see a vechicle that looks bad ass unlike those gay looking minis

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #90
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Hot damn, the Qatar Redbull team looks like a force to be reckoned with...lot's of potential there

Also nice not to see a vechicle that looks bad ass unlike those gay looking minis
I can see a design flaw already (from just this one single blurry photo)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote