User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
Straight OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
DRZ400, DR650, Terra?

Hello, great forum here and glad I became a member. I have a touring road bike now and would like a second bike for some local trail riding and some planned excursions that will likely incur some road miles. I've done a lot of reading for the last half year or so and I really like the idea of a Suzuki DR650. I've had some Suzuki road bikes in the past and liked them. I also read good things about Suzuki's DRZ400. One more bike that seems like a good fit is the Husqvarna 650 Terra.

I am trying to stay within a budget and have been looking for second hand bikes, but I'm not averse to getting new if it's reasonable.

I live in Connecticut and would like to take trips around New England to explore. Well, actually, probably like many of us, I dream about taking off all over the U.S. and exploring but I'm trying to keep it reasonable until I retire.
I've seen some DR650's and a DRZ400 used that look in good shape. I'm 6'2", 210lbs with 35" inseam, mid 40's in age. Will I be cramped on the DRZ?

Any riders my size have experience on DS bikes and recomendations? Thanks.
Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Terra vs Suzuki

The new Terra looks very good, of course a used one is most likely out of the question.

More off-road = DRZ, More on road = DR650. Both are easy to find, and reasonably priced. Of those 2 I'd have a hard time deciding.

New, I'd go Terra all the way, Fuel Injection is wonderful, I have it on my WR250r and would have a hard time going back to a carb... hit the starter and go. The Terra has gotten great reviews by the MC press, the DRZ is more off-road oriented though
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
I can only speak to my 1 season spent on the DRZ400S (2000 miles, majority easy dirt riding and local putting around). When you say taking trips all over New England, that makes me think you will be spending lot of time on the road and probably a good amount of time at speeds over 60mph.....not the happiest place for the 400. In my mind the 400 will be a great if you ride anywhere from moderate singletrack (with some practice, experience and time in the weight room, but a bit heavy if you are first time single-tracker) up to about 55-60mph cruising on the roads. The DR (if its like my KLR) will shift the comfort zone up about 10-15 mph on both ends of the spectrum, in other words from two-track up to about 65-70mph. Obviously there are people who have used either bike outside of what I suggested, but I think in those ranges you won't constantly be thinking you bought the wrong one. From what I have read the Terra is a better street bike than either Suzuki, and probably better in the dirt than the DR650.

As far as ergos, I am pretty much your size and the DRZ only needed some ROX Risers to make standing up doable.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Skidmarkart
Repeat Recidivist

Oddometer: 128
I am by no means an expert, but I sound like I am about your same size and shape (6'4" 220lbs), and I was looking at the same bikes. As mentioned before, I found the DRZ to be less happy at the 70mph speed limits on many of the roads here in NC. The Terra was not out yet to test ride, but when I started comparing the prices, the Terra was roughly double the price of the DR650. I waited about 3 months for a good deal to come along and picked up a '05 with 800 miles for less than $4K (the Terra is listed at $6,999 before an of the dealer ad-ons with "destination" "prep" and "true-coat", remember Fargo, so you are looking at something close to $8k. I went with the DR650 and could not be happier with the bike. It seems to do everything I want, fits me pretty well, and I saved enough money to by some bits to fix anything that I don't like. Would I like a Terra? Hell yeah! But I don't want to pay for one.
Skidmarkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
Straight OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks for the feedback. I read this informative piece by Poachow:

http://www.paochow.com/DRZguide/DRZcom.php

Looks like a 650 would be best for me.

Regarding the Terra, I didn't think OTD price would be over 8K. I am talking with a dealer. I'll post back a total.
Straight is offline   Reply With Quote