Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #466
Scott1911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195

Be warned, a lathe is one of the more exciting ways to embed things in the walls of your shop.
Scott1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #467
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
Excellent. We can call this the Fear & Latheing phase.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahaha

Fear and latheing

I can see it all now…

Soon enough it could be the fear of latheing phase…

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #468
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,654
Just got caught up on this thread, and I loved every minute of it. Hats off to you, Mr. Mullet5. This is the kind of build I love to see! Not that I have ever seen a build quite like this. Easily one of the most entertaining and interesting things I have ever read on the internet.

Keep up the good work!
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #469
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Damn it. Derek did have time, but I decided to "quickly" move my new 2,000 pound lathe into position in my garage. Which required moving about 500 pounds of miscellaneous tools, metal, the drill press, and general garage filler. Somehow, it ended up taking a little longer than I had anticipated. So... Tonight! Hopefully.
'75 XS650, '77 KE100, 19xx Minsk, '01 F650GS Dakar, '77 Scirocco, '84 Jetta GLI 16v, '88 GLI 16v, '08 Sloan Kwik Load, 85 245Ti, '69 Westfalia, '04 VW Phaeton, '94 Suburban, '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, '95 Range Rover Classic, and probably some others that I can't remember right now.
I probably hate you.
Mullet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:11 AM   #470
unheatedgarage
n00b

Oddometer: 6
"General Garage Filler" is the name of my "Garbage" tribute band. We're still looking for a front-woman. :(
unheatedgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #471
greystoke
2 wheel whore

Oddometer: 123
Imagining that winter wonderland (Minsk HQ) with a fine layer of shiny metallic sparkles.

But if your nose starts bleeding this time i'd be more concerned than the last time
www.rightaroundaustralia.com

PX200
'86 K100RS
K7 DR650SE
greystoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #472
istandalone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Now you most post every day lest we think you've been impaled, (Dress like a Kanigit to prevent impalement) Oh, and don't wear a tie while lathing. Only thing I remember from Jr. High shop class.
istandalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #473
Kevan Garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Fear and Latheing and Ties

I have met Mullet once or twice and I can report you don't have to worry about him wearing a tie while working. Or even clothes.

Cheers

Kevan

Kevan Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #474
MaParkerColo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1911 View Post
Be warned, a lathe is one of the more exciting ways to embed things in the walls of your shop.
Been there done that except there was an open garage door at my back and it just launched like a rocket across the parking lot
MaParkerColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #475
istandalone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan Garrett View Post
I have met Mullet once or twice and I can report you don't have to worry about him wearing a tie while working. Or even clothes.

Cheers

Kevan

Then he might worry about things hanging loose!!!
istandalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #476
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
Now you most post every day lest we think you've been impaled, (Dress like a Kanigit to prevent impalement) Oh, and don't wear a tie while lathing. Only thing I remember from Jr. High shop class.
shop class; I remember my buddy setting his leg on fire and having to plunge it in a bucket of water!
Old 10-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #477
husqzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
shop class; I remember my buddy setting his leg on fire and having to plunge it in a bucket of water!
Well I hope Mullet5 has his camera handy when he fires up his soda blaster to extinguish the fire.
husqzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #478
SmokinDav
KTM Flogger

Oddometer: 11
If you want a good forum for car shit, motorcycle shit, 4x4 discussions, the occasional hot rod thread and all kinds of generally kick-ass no bullshit tech check out http://forums.corner-carvers.com/

I'm not affiliated, just a happy member. ADVRIDER and Corner-Carvers are two of the best forums on the internet, in my opinion (and I've been on A LOT of forums). I've even noticed at least one other member from CC.com over here at ADVRIDER.

No asshats allowed - we promptly give them the mushroom stamp.

:)

Mandatory CCCP content- my grandfather is from Ukraine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet5 View Post
I have made actual progress on the Minsk! But first, apparently, I have to do some housecleaning.

Derek and I are friends, and he is merely helping me with this retarded happy-fun-time idiotic project that I got myself into. He is not doing it the way he wants to. His original recommendation was to replace the head tube, but after much bitching, whining, kvetching, and whimpering by me about how "that is going to be so much wooooork and I don't have the moooooooney" he finally agreed to forget everything that he knew was right and safe and worthy of his shop, and just sort of mash the thing back together. So, make no mistake, THIS IS MY DOING. Derek still to this day complains about not doing it to his standard, and I am constantly telling him "fuck it, its good enough as is! Can I take it home an assemble it now??" I have never pointed this out in the thread, because I never had to defend myself or my friend who is helping me from forum trolling dipshits. This has, up until now, been the single most enjoyable forum activity I have ever taken part in. Love doing the ridiculous work, love making people laugh, and I love the people who are following my escapades.

I am, first and foremost, a car guy. I have a small collection of cars and trucks that I am incredibly enthusiastic about, I love them to death, I do all of my own work, I off road my trucks, I track my sports cars (and not so sporty cars), and I go on road trips with all of them. However, because of the overwhelming number of asswipes on forums, I don't participate in anything. No meets, no shows, no group drives, no posts about my cars, trips, or repairs/upgrades. It simply is not worth the aggravation. For instance, I already could have written the Minsk update, but instead I find myself doing this shit.

I drove my rickety old British vehicle through Baja last year, and I didn't write a post about it because I didn't want to defend myself against a mob a Monster Energy - Fox Racing - Rockstar flat bill hat wearing, shirtless morons who would hijack my thread to inform me that it would have been "hella more sicker if you had, like, unpainted fiberglass flares on, like, the sides of your truck bro. And also you should have done it in a Ford Ranger"

So in conclusion, thank you Mr TwinShocker for stopping by my admittedly idiotic post, and lousing it all up. I appreciate your concern for my financial well being, or whatever the fuck you think you are doing, but please refrain from providing further assistance. Seriously, this is stupid. Not kidding, leave it alone. You can come peruse the updates any time you like, but don't post. We are having fun here, and NOTHING is being done properly.

Wait, I thought I was done, but I have one more point. Did this dude seriously not read ANY part of this thread? I mean, it starts out with a cracked swing arm, pivots made out of stripped out 3/4" nuts, cable guides made by welding fender washers to the frame, you name it, it is fucked, scary, and flat out WRONG on this bike, which is why this is so much fun to work on and write about!

I do not want an argument, I do not want a debate, I do not want to discuss this with TwinShocker at all any more AT ALL ever. Get it, TwinShocker? Don't Respond, don't post here, please. Also, please note that I never insulted you, your intelligence, your social status, your friends, your family, your pets, your vehicles, or engineering/fabricating prowess. I even managed to keep swear words to what I consider to be the bare minimum! I just want this to go away.

ok done.

SmokinDav screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 02:49 PM
SmokinDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #479
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,123
Thumb

I have a weak spot for the minsk
and for your attitude...

Having absolute confidence that you will succeed in the lovingly restore project where ever it might take you taken a subscription to this thread.

Hope our sympathy and vibes may be of help when the going get's tough!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #480
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
Thank you!

I am now going to try and work on my CB550 project.

Epic thread. I'm half-Serbian as far as Eastern-Yugopean content goes.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 04:02 PM
brockster is offline   Reply With Quote