ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #31
FixerDave
KLR650 - XR200R

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Sygic and Copilot seem to get good reviews. I liked iGo a lot but my understanding is that there is no Android version out yet - only IOS and Win CE. Personally the moment iGo bring out a commercially available Android version I'll jump in that direction.
iGO is there for Android... came with my CyberNav mini. Well, I don't know that it's on the market as I've got the apk and maps for it. I just dumped it on a new 10.2" Android tablet as a test. Works fine, though it doesn't use the whole screen. Not my favourite app, but it does work.

Me, I'm an Orux kind of guy. Custom maps rendered to tiles via Maperitive and converted to Orux by MOBAC. But, I want full control of how the map looks and what's on it. I have no interest in routing. The OP was all about routing on existing roads. More like iGO.

Definitely, without a doubt, iGO at least exists and is functional in Android. Time to jump?

David...
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #32
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Sygic and Copilot seem to get good reviews. I liked iGo a lot but my understanding is that there is no Android version out yet - only IOS and Win CE. Personally the moment iGo bring out a commercially available Android version I'll jump in that direction.
I wouldn't let that hold you back. Sygic is great, in my opinion better than iGo.

The two apps are certainly close enough you would be happy with either one. Sygic is about half the price as well.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #33
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
I just wanted to pop back in and give a huge +1 to Sygic.

I got it installed with the Mexico maps (around 500mb) and I wasn't expecting miracles.

Not only does it show the interior roads in my little compound, it also has the tiny little village I use to test GPS maps. Garmin doesn't, and Google Navigation (which is a hacked copy that works here) is useless as there is no cell service within 20 miles of the place.

Routing is almost instant, and so far looks accurate and seems to offer the most practical path.

It's about $35 and looks to be worth every penny. I'll update this as I try it for real. If I had found out about this earlier I wouldn't have bought the Nuvi 500 a few weeks ago for $170.

Hey Bud, have you gotten some more hands on with the app? Interested in the assessment of MX maps, routing and POI's etc.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #34
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Hey Bud, have you gotten some more hands on with the app? Interested in the assessment of MX maps, routing and POI's etc.
Absolutely faultless so far. Turn-by-turn is the best I've ever used and so far we haven't been able to find a town or road it doesn't have. I don't even have to look at the phone (sunlight on the screen is the big short-coming of using phones as Sat Navs) and the voice directions are enough. Huge battery savings that way too.

Haven't tried looking for POI's yet, but if you tap the screen it automatically shows the 5 or so nearest gas stations. It has a huge array of customization options too. Makes my Nuvi 500 look like it was designed for pre-schoolers.

One thing I do need to do is find out if will accept custom route uploads. That would make it spectacular.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #35
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,103
Quote:
Absolutely faultless so far. Turn-by-turn is the best I've ever used and so far we haven't been able to find a town or road it doesn't have. I don't even have to look at the phone (sunlight on the screen is the big short-coming of using phones as Sat Navs) and the voice directions are enough. Huge battery savings that way too.

Haven't tried looking for POI's yet, but if you tap the screen it automatically shows the 5 or so nearest gas stations. It has a huge array of customization options too. Makes my Nuvi 500 look like it was designed for pre-schoolers.

One thing I do need to do is find out if will accept custom route uploads. That would make it spectacular.

you mean upload an external gpx?
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #36
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
you mean upload an external gpx?
I just stopped being lazy and looked it up. You can import POI's but not routes. They say they are planning to add that feature.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #37
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,226
An update: I tried downloading the free Mapfactor Navigator app, but I could never get it to install. I tried several times and it just never worked. So, I tried the free trial of Sygic and was hooked! I bought the full version after the trial ran out.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #38
macintosh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
I just stopped being lazy and looked it up. You can import POI's but not routes. They say they are planning to add that feature.
Not sure about Sygic but iGo and Copilot are able to import routes. You just have to put right route file to right folder for program to recognize it.
macintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #39
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
OSMand will display any GPX track on the map. You don't get spoken directions, just the track overlay, which is good for me. You can generate the tracks with number of programs on the PC.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #40
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerDave View Post
iGO is there for Android... came with my CyberNav mini. Well, I don't know that it's on the market as I've got the apk and maps for it. I just dumped it on a new 10.2" Android tablet as a test. Works fine, though it doesn't use the whole screen. Not my favourite app, but it does work.

Me, I'm an Orux kind of guy. Custom maps rendered to tiles via Maperitive and converted to Orux by MOBAC. But, I want full control of how the map looks and what's on it. I have no interest in routing. The OP was all about routing on existing roads. More like iGO.

Definitely, without a doubt, iGO at least exists and is functional in Android. Time to jump?

David...
iGo Primo for Android is ONLY available for OEMs, it cannot be purchased as an app for an Android OS . . . although there are a few pirate copies floating around the net.

The problem you are having with your OEM version is that the screen sizes are different; the OEM version you are "copying" onto another device is not configured for the screen size of the Android device you have copied it to . . . . and there is no capability to adjust the screen size in the OEM version (hardwired setting for obvious reasons). There are some workarounds on the net.

I am waiting for iGo to see the light and release as an app for Android (it can be purchased as an app for IOS and Win CE).

syzygy9 screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 06:12 PM
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #41
hdxbones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I've been using Android Navfree for a while now with good results. Map downloads by state, voice turn by turn guidance, dependable routing.
hdxbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #42
David_in_TX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
OSMand will give me spoken turn by turn directions on my imported GPX tracks.
I wonder why yours won't do this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
OSMand will display any GPX track on the map. You don't get spoken directions, just the track overlay, which is good for me. You can generate the tracks with number of programs on the PC.

http://www.facebook.com/David.Roy.Nichols
David_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #43
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Any updates to software recommendations for off-line navigating? I'm about to give up on Windows Phone (I think I am one of about 9 people that actually use it) and jump ship to a Samsung Galaxy 5. Availability of navigation apps is one of my justifications for doing so.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #44
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Moen View Post
Any updates to software recommendations for off-line navigating? I'm about to give up on Windows Phone (I think I am one of about 9 people that actually use it) and jump ship to a Samsung Galaxy 5. Availability of navigation apps is one of my justifications for doing so.
Locus Pro, Osmand+

these are more than -just- navigation apps though. a whole lot more.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #45
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,701
I am using Locus Pro with OSM maps of Ontario, Canada. I think the app was $8 and the maps were free. I can add on additional provinces and/or states as I need them.
EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote