Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #16
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
The following day i woke up feeling preety rough, My left hand side neck muscles were really strained no doubt as a result of the whiplash when i hit the side of my head on the ground, my right side shoulder and knee felt bruised, and my ankle was still cursing at me like a nagging wife demanding more attention.

As per prescribed i applied liquor liberally..

Here's a pic of the hostel we were staying at - Coyote Cals owned by Rick an expat and his 'Ta' his lovely wife.

It was coming up to a full moon and the tides were really high so that meant a good time for the locals to collect these giant muscles... They told us to help ourselves.

Ta, made a thai salsa for us and we ended up throwing them on the fire that evening mmmmm

Unfortunately for my ankle the next day Daniel had to head back to the US, he promised his girlfriend that he was gonna be back for Halloween. Luckily i had successfully been able to kickstart with my left foot and i agreed to ride with him back to Ensenada so i could get my immigration papers for me and the bike.

The ride was preety and it was nice to see in the light of day..

We got to Ensenada and Daniel had his last mexican meal and headed back North

mmm fish tacos.

I went to visit the immigration but they told me the bank closed early and i would have to come back next week.

The 2hr ride back was a little tiring but still preety awesome nonetheless.

MagneticSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #17
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The next few days were mostly filled with my feet up and me licking my wounds.. My neck strain and ankle were not impressed with me and insisted i stay off the wheels.

I woke up to this view from my room every morning.

And the day usually ended up looking like this.

With my stomach being treated with a selection of fresh these.

If anyone has ever stayed at Coyote Cals before, they should agree its a preety sweet setup.
Funny thing was it was virtually empty every night.
It was kind of weird that the place wasnt buzzing with people.. There were many signs which told another story from even just the size of the carpark to the fully equipted bar with its assortment of tequila and mescal, there photos on the walls all sorts of decorations filled the shelves with stuff.. puzzles and board games,children's toys, and other parafanalia.
There was a healthy dvd collection, and a games room a pool table and ping pong table an
d even a candy vending machine
The info book with its things to do list and places to visit was packed from cover to cover..
The place has different types of rooms and a designated camping area and palm trees to set up a hammock, If anything the view would be enough to keep any weary traveller or family happy to stay for a while.

According to Rick the owner, he said it had been getting slower and slower over the past 6 years, with all the news of corrupt police, narco traffickers, kidnappings, hold ups and murders people were afraid to come to mexico.
Younger travellers, and Backpackers stopped coming. Nobody would want to bring their families and even the surfers forgot about this place.
The stories were true back then, there was same bad sh*t going down south of the border but things have changed.
Baja is a much safer place now.

Events such as the Baja 500 and 1000 saw more people coming through but It was a trickle of mostly americans on enduro/mx motorcycles and quads that kept the place alive now,
The odd 'straggler' like me was the exception.

After a couple of quiet days on my own, 3 guys on touring bikes arrived and these 2 brothers rolled in later one night looking the part.

riding their awesome BMW 800's

It was nice to talk to other bikers at last.
The only other people since we crossed the border were the couple of guys from Alaska who we me in Ensenada and rode down with on the night we arrived but they left before the sun was up the following day.

I need to find where i wrote their names down but one of them was an ADV member
Rick and Ta made them all a delicious Thai Fish curry feast then and they washed it all down with cervesas over a fire.
I explained why i was limping on a crutch travelling alone with a semi broken bike and we talked about where they rode from, bikes stuff, tools, gps's, gadgets, equiptment, luggage, racks, modifications, matte black paint and more bike stuff.
They suggested i should ride with them the next day for a bit.
They had rode 800miles of mostly dirt in the last few days .
With my limited off road experience, strained neck and buckled ankle I kindly declined.

MagneticSouth screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 09:33 AM
Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #18
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagneticSouth View Post
They survived but actually the racks are gonna need some work. I only really realised when i left LA that with my load and an extra gallon of water and a gallon of extra fuel, It made the bike preety unbalanced and rear heavy, i dont think it did me any favours when i hit the ditch in the middle of the night. I think it needs to move a little forward on top of the wheel axle.

Thank you again for your help with them, it got me past the border at the least
I was a little concerned about that, I was hoping that with clever loading it wouldn't be so bad.

I guess if you find that girl that needs a ride now she'll just have to sit on your lap instead.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
I guess if you find that girl that needs a ride now she'll just have to sit on your lap instead.

Next few days i would sleep in, eat fish, lay in the hammock, read a book then go for an afternoon explore..
There are loads of empty beaches, dirt roads and tracks just outside the door...

mmm fish tacos

I came across this amazing beach with perfect 4ft righthand unridden waves..
Mental note : next trip - surf

This hill just kept going up with very loose rocks.

couldnt resist a rest.

As a newbie I could get used to this offroading stuff... Sure beats the paved stuff.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #20
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The following day i rode back to that beach i was overlooking.

Riding a motorcycle on an empty beach is just awesome!

Getting back up, not so easy...

Of course i dropped it!

Some surfers came to the rescue.

They were camping out in the dunes and invited me to join them for a beer..

The day before Dia de las Brujas, I helped Rick with his halloween decorations.

We put up walls and made it like a haunted house for the local kids.

With a smoke machine and 5 of us dressed up like the living dead we scared the be-jeesus out anyone that stepped inside

I dont think Rick will get many kids coming back next year...
All i remember is a lot of screaming and crying kids...
those locals trick or treating left with a bag of lollies and a lifetime of trauma..!

Old 11-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #21
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The day after Halloween i packed up some gear and headed back to the beach ..

better..

The other day they said they had some extra boards and this totally rad retro wetsuit i could use.
They were 3 guys from OB that worked together as guides for a canoeing company in La Jolla in San Diego,

I couldnt pass the chance to camp with them and to come for a surf.

After a day in the sun, nothing like settling in with a big bottle of cerveza and a camp fire.

The guy on the right is Jorge..
I met him earlier on in the day and we chatted in my spanglish and i asked if he had any fish i could buy off him, he said he could try getting some almejas (clams) when the tide was a little lower.

He lives in a small shack with no electricity somewhere in the foothills in this valley and he comes by and sells people wood for the fire.
The other guys know him from previous trips coming down, he would sell them wood chat briefly and be on his way.

Later that evening he came back with these giant things.. and we threw them into the coals. YuM!

He moved back here around 20years ago after spending his adolescent years in Los Angeles as a gang banger..
His back was covered in tats to prove it, (not that he wanted to prove anything)
He spent some years in some heavy prisons in California and had 2 strikes to his name and they gave him the ultimatum to go back to Mexico or face lifetime imprisonment 'when', not if they busted him again..

He stayed and we all chatted for hours over beers and almejas, he shared all sorts of stories.
His english is preety good actually.
He was a very friendly guy, not at all threatening . He preferred his life now and he liked helping people rather than hurting people.
The guys from SD said that was the first time in the time they had been frequenting this spot that he actually hung out .
Dont think it will be the last.

Jorge came back to pick up his stuff say bye .. what a champ.

After the morning surf session..

Packing it in.

It was a tradition for the boys to leave a candle with the virgin of guatalupe to thank her for keeping them safe and to ensure good waves for the next time they come down.

MagneticSouth screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 01:00 PM
Old 11-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #22
Mike the Yank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Subscribed, You just missed Mildura on your Aussie trip!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #23
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Yank View Post
Subscribed, You just missed Mildura on your Aussie trip!
I hear its a beautiful part of the state. I guess you cant expect to see everything. huh

Ok i know Halloween was a coupla weeks ago, and ive been preety slack in updating, I think because i havent done that much riding since i left Erendira..

I went back up to Ensenada to try and get my tourist visa and papers for the bike..
After 2 other trips to the immigration i was only able to get my Mexican tourist stamp in Ensenada, they said i would have to go back to TJ to get my bike stuff done

I thought id try and do some couchsurfing for the long weekend from dia del los muertos, So i planned to stay for 3 nights and head up to TJ to get my papers, then continue south...
I sent out some requests and was accepted by a Mexican girl Sony.
Ive been here for over 2weeks, shes been a star.
I'll post some pics of what ive been up to but first i have to ask some questions about the bike because ive been having some problems starting..

So it has been getting harder and harder to start, well when its cold it normally starts after a kick or two, but after i warm it up and turn it off, it doesnt want to start again.
Since I've tried changing the spark plug, cleaning the air filter, cleaning the carbs out with carb cleaner, adjusted the air fuel mix, reset the valve clearances, and changed the oil.

When i can get it to start, it will blow lots of whitish smoke for a few minutes .
There is no leak i can see, i guess it must be the piston rings?
Will that affect a warm start?

It did start smoking a bit before i left LA, but its definately got worse.
When i did the oil change it was very very dirty and ive probably done around 1000 miles.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #24
RubberSideUp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Bike Issues

Sounds like maybe a bad stator, but I am thinking you replaced it? Could be ignition coil I suppose?

As for the smoking, it may be valve stem seals, an/or valve guides going bad. An 85 XR6 I have smoked on startup all the time, and after running it really hard on a few day trip, it actually got a lot better (carbon buildup helped, maybe?). I recall reading to only use OEM seals, because other rubber from cheaper gasket sets doesn't hold up to the high heat from these engines.

Keep riding on!
RubberSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #25
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSideUp View Post
Sounds like maybe a bad stator, but I am thinking you replaced it? Could be ignition coil I suppose?

As for the smoking, it may be valve stem seals, an/or valve guides going bad. An 85 XR6 I have smoked on startup all the time, and after running it really hard on a few day trip, it actually got a lot better (carbon buildup helped, maybe?). I recall reading to only use OEM seals, because other rubber from cheaper gasket sets doesn't hold up to the high heat from these engines.

Keep riding on!
Thanks for your input

I replaced the stator 6mnths ago, and looks like it sparks fine, so from what ive read i could rule out coil, cdi, and stator problems right?

Anyway since i couldn't find any joy on my own after trying everything i could, i bit the bullet and took it to a mechanic and he found that, my choke cable was sticking and letting in too much gas which was flooding it on start up, he said my valve adjustment was too tight, and he found out that it had lost compression

I didnt realise because ive been kickstarting with my left foot and i always use the decompression lever as soon as its at the TDC.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #26
Mike the Yank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
any updates?
Old 12-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #27
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Hope everything is okay out there!!!!

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #28
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
Oy!
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #29
SloCalSpode
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
It has been a year and a half since we heard from MagneticSouth
on his Baja adventure. Anyone have any idea what happened to him?

Hope he is on a beach somewhere enjoying the good life and
not in some Mexican prison or worse. cartel.
Enjoyed the bike build and the ride report till it abruptly ended.
JJ
SloCalSpode is offline   Reply With Quote