User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #16
atomizer OP
Be here now

Oddometer: 291
awesome

Thanks every one for all the info. Amped for this trip. It is an awesome group of
Guys. Some great trip reports will be posted.
Now off I go to enjoy movie night. Treasure of the Sierra Madre should be perfect.
Beers, Atom
atomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
jsg161968
daydreamer

Oddometer: 13
confluence

Atom-hey man congrats on the 950! I wish you the best for your Mexico trip and I am excited to read your ride reports. I just had to give a shout because I got your Funnel DVD a few years back and I know what a STOUT whitewater boater you are and I don't know how many of the moto crowd know this. Anyhow, I know your RR will be sick! I wish you all the best in all your travels-
seth
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
jsg161968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #18
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,294
I'd take a pair of tiedowns for the inevitable high water crossings. You wait for a P-U to take you across. Suerte. Jim
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #19
brittrunyon
R 100 GS F 650 GS

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
I'd take a pair of tiedowns for the inevitable high water crossings. You wait for a P-U to take you across. Suerte. Jim
What's the fun in that?

My Motorcycle Videos & More @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333
No Rules Photography @ http://brittrunyon.com/
brittrunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #20
atomizer OP
Be here now

Thanks

Thanks Seth,
excited to see some of the whitewater down there :)
If anyone has some good loop ideas for the area, please let me know. We are going to Creel and it is an open book from then on. Beers, Atom...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsg161968 View Post
Atom-hey man congrats on the 950! I wish you the best for your Mexico trip and I am excited to read your ride reports. I just had to give a shout because I got your Funnel DVD a few years back and I know what a STOUT whitewater boater you are and I don't know how many of the moto crowd know this. Anyhow, I know your RR will be sick! I wish you all the best in all your travels-
seth
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Old 11-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #21
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,495
The ride from Creel into the canyon is some sweet twisties... and then the gravel into and through the canyon to Batopilas is lots of fun.

spares kit doesn't need to be significant, remember; light is fast... and easier to lift up when you rotate into the ground

tubes: front/rear (only front if you want to run super light), put it in a freezer vacuum bag with a little baby powder, then stuff it into the upper fairing.

clutch slave: replace with Oberon and refill with 5w synthetic suspension fluid

water pump: upgrade to 07-08 990 shaft and seal or CJ's super shaft and seal

tires: for the given terrain, i'd run Heidenau K60 rear and the aggressive pattern K60 front. Will easily last for 5-7k miles.

support/safety: spot tracker, may or may not be interesting, not sure if they cover mexico or not ???

navigation: Check out dualsportmaps.com and the Droid GPS app. I run it on a 7" tablet, hands down better than any current GPS on the market for DS road and trail detail in a format that is usable when navigating unknown trails/roads.

I went through my bike with a fine tooth comb, re-loctited fasteners, changed all fluids, updated the fuel pump to a Facet and changed out the WP shaft. I was running TKC80s, which worked fine but were mostly done by the end of the trip.

Only regret was we did not spend more time in and around Batopilas, one day in, spent the night, then rode out the next day out to Creel again.

Enjoy the ride, its amazing.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 AM   #22
atomizer OP
Be here now

Awesome

Thanks so much. The Map link is fantastic. Going over my bike as we
Speak. Can't wait to explore down there.
Beers, Atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
The ride from Creel into the canyon is some sweet twisties... and then the gravel into and through the canyon to Batopilas is lots of fun.

spares kit doesn't need to be significant, remember; light is fast... and easier to lift up when you rotate into the ground

tubes: front/rear (only front if you want to run super light), put it in a freezer vacuum bag with a little baby powder, then stuff it into the upper fairing.

clutch slave: replace with Oberon and refill with 5w synthetic suspension fluid

water pump: upgrade to 07-08 990 shaft and seal or CJ's super shaft and seal

tires: for the given terrain, i'd run Heidenau K60 rear and the aggressive pattern K60 front. Will easily last for 5-7k miles.

support/safety: spot tracker, may or may not be interesting, not sure if they cover mexico or not ???

navigation: Check out dualsportmaps.com and the Droid GPS app. I run it on a 7" tablet, hands down better than any current GPS on the market for DS road and trail detail in a format that is usable when navigating unknown trails/roads.

I went through my bike with a fine tooth comb, re-loctited fasteners, changed all fluids, updated the fuel pump to a Facet and changed out the WP shaft. I was running TKC80s, which worked fine but were mostly done by the end of the trip.

Only regret was we did not spend more time in and around Batopilas, one day in, spent the night, then rode out the next day out to Creel again.

Enjoy the ride, its amazing.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #23
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,044
All the normal stuff you'd have for any "back country" ride.
+
Immodium.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
dezrat57
New River, Arizona

Oddometer: 161
one other consideration is weather....u might check january's temps in the town of Creel..
i was there once in early october and there was frost on the pumpkin..
have fun!!

dave

dezrat57 screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 02:05 PM
dezrat57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #25
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrat57 View Post
one other consideration is weather....u might check january's temps in the town of Creel..
i was there once in early october and there was frost on the pumpkin..
have fun!!

dave
Valid point... the rim of the canyon is about 7500 feet
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #26
BoulderGuy
out ridin'....

Oddometer: 433
+1 for checking the weather. Last Dec temps were in the teens with heavy snow and ice at the higger elevations. Not saying you shouldnt go, just be prepared! Weather in the canyons was perfect though. I'm going in March myself. Cant wait!
BoulderGuy is offline   Reply With Quote