B/L: $ 7.00
Bunker: $ 12.11
Documents: $ 90.00
Inland: $100.00
Crating: $150.00
Inland: $425.00 Pick Up from PDX to our warehouse
Total: $1383.47 Door to Seaport

Porkandcorn,

It call my attention the quote given to you by the 'competition' . The first quote is for Air cargo, the second for Ocean Cargo". The Air quote is wrong, at least for the Kilos used for the quote.

Air cargo is chargeable by KGS/VOL. Which means to every cubic inch is given a rate cost. If the cargo weight is more than the Volume/weight , then the weight prevail.

In your case , your cargo is 92x56x58 (inches) = 298816 / 166 = 18000963/2.20548 = 816.19 KGS/VOL. This amount of kilos are the one to be calculated for the air cargo. Not 590 lbs = 268.18 Kgs (real weight).
By the way, a Thriumph 800 should not be crated more than 580 kgs/vol, ussually a BMW 1200GS type of crating. Yours it is a huge crate.

My 2 cents
Gaston E.

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #47
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
thanks gaston,

that will help people who are getting info from my ride report to research their own trips. thanks for all your help and your attention to detail. it's appreciated.
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #48
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Final Bike Mods & Service

getting very close to starting this trip now - just 7 weeks to go! purchased my tickets to santiago, chile - i'll fly out on the 5th from portland - atlanta - santiago. the group of us sharing the container are meeting at a hotel in santiago the night before so we are all in one spot for our shipping coordinator, gaston from SamaricaXplorer, to contact us.

i'm still thinking about my general route for the trip. now i'm considering just doing the patagonia/southern chile leg of the trip 1st - to get right into some impressive scenery. then on down to tierra del fuego and ushuaia while it's still plenty warm. then head north to buenos aires, the beaches of uruguay, and to visit friends in southern brasil. hopefully, by february, the uruguayan and brazilian coast will have cooled down a bit. i know from living in southern brazil during their summer that it can be oppressively hot and humid, hence my thought to delay that part of the trip a bit. (i'll likely still be sweating my ass off.) after that i'll cut across argentina through cordoba, routa 40, and back to the andes/coast to start the northerly trek up to the caribbean beaches of columbia, my final destination.

i'm getting the bike serviced and looked over by the good people at cascade moto classics here in portland next week, and picking up a few more spare parts that i ordered to take with me on the trip.

a couple last minutes mods before the bike makes the trip down the the Port of Los Angeles on november 24th to be put on the container bound for chile - with these changes, she is officially ready to go:

IT designs Mix-It2 compact audio mixer - a great little audio mixer that was recommended to me by someone on ADVrider. will allow me to listen to music from my iphone, chatter from my scala g4 comm set, and has a priority input channel for my garmin zumo 660 (fades the other sources when a signal from the garmin is detected.)

IT designs Mix-It2 compact audio mixer by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i didn't *need* a new silencer, but my only criticism of the tiger 800 is that she sounds awefully whimpy out of the box. this italian made MIVV suono carbon fiber/stainless silencer uses the stock mapping for the original pipes, but gives a HP boost and sounds about a million times cooler. it's quite a bit lighter as well, which is always a nice feature. i got it from PJ at PJ's Parts in Maryville, TN. i wasn't sure if it would configure with my touratech zega pro pannier mounts, so PJ said if it didn't fit, he'd refund the purchase (as long as i didn't fire up the bike with the silencer installed). it fit great with the mounts, thankfully. thanks PJ!

MIVV suono silencer for tiger 800xc by porkandcorn, on Flickr
Old 11-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #49
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
What the...? No video clip of before/after sound comparisons? I thought you said you were OCD?

I may have to look into that MixIt gadget... Brandi is a little fussy about the quality of her tunes and complained several times during our trip about how 'hissy' the audio was when being pushed through the G4's.

That's a seriously nice looking exhaust upgrade, Fritz. Enjoy the next few weeks of butterflies leading up to launch day! Good luck, we'll be watching!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #50
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 602
My hat to you, Fritz, you've done a freaking load of research !! and we all benefit !! you contacted us in Pdx for cargo shipping a couple months ago...
We decided not to send the Africa twins from PDX to san tiago but rent , considering we have only 4 weeks ! we'are leaving the 2nd of January. looks like you 'll be heading south first so may be we can hook up somewhere. We are currently starting to build up a route towards Ushuaia ( My son's already in SA volunteering in Bolivia, then Perou and we'' ll meet in Chile somewhere).
i will try to DL some GPS maps from mototreks ( great site) or ask my other son to do it (i m not that smart !!).
Ride your tiger to the bakery so we can talk about it ( La Provence , 13650 Boones ferry rd, Lake oswego)

Alain
Old 11-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #51
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by alainmax View Post
i will try to DL some GPS maps from mototreks ( great site) or ask my other son to do it (i m not that smart !!).
PM me if you need some help

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #52
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
PM me if you need some help
i see a lot of work on your website

much appreciated.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #53
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Final Factory Service

this past friday, i rode the tiger over to cascade moto classics for her final wet service and check-over, as she is getting loaded onto a shipping container next week. one of my container-mates, "coach", is going to put my bike in his trailer and take it down to the Port of LA with his bike and sidecar, then supervise their loading and strapping down. coach lives about an hour or so south of me, and is doing me a huge favor by transporting my bike to the container.

jim tomsic, my bike's tech, giving the go-ahead on the bike.

jim tomsic, triumph tech by porkandcorn, on Flickr

thank you kelly and janice for all your help and patience as i prep for my trip. liz in parts, brant in service, and randy in sales - thank you everyone for everything.

kelly & janice mccarthy by porkandcorn, on Flickr

cascade moto classics, beaverton, or by porkandcorn, on Flickr

since i'm riding the bike down to coach's on saturday or sunday, i'm spending the rest of this week going over my lists, doing a bit of last minute shopping to fill in the holes, and making important final modifications. by mid-week, the panniers and tank bag will be packed and mounted. once i get to coach's, my riding gear will be bagged and straped to the bike, and all i will have to do is show up in san antonio, chile in 7 weeks with my duffle bag (clothes, toiletries, computer/office, paperwork) on my back.

i made one last critical modification tonight - i added my travel partner and protector. this guy has been on many other journeys with me, and he always gets me back in one piece. i zip-tied his butt to the windshield mount so he doesn't fly off upon hitting my first south american pot-hole.

my friend and protector by porkandcorn, on Flickr

porkandcorn screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 08:25 AM
Old 11-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #54
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Ftz,

My daughter just sculpted on soap the same duck. Do you want it?, good for your regular shower in Patagonia.
Chilean Customs is gonna laugh on you. Most probably they are going to ask you for proper docs for importing exotic birds.

Don't forget the teddy bear for those lone camping nights.!!! hahahha!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #55
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,764

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #56
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
By the way, buy at any COPEC gas station in Chile, a set of maps that come by region . The south and the national parks are the best . Also you can check in the internet the maps and camping parks , etc.

Www.chileturcopec.cl

Maps on the top section . Full pack $13900 Chilean pesos

Easy to carry in the tank bag

GastonUSAChile screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 08:06 PM
Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #57
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

I Have No Motorcycle

this trip just got very real on sunday when i left my bike strapped into coach's trailer, in lyons, oregon about 90 SE of portland. coach is putting the finishing touches on his bike and sidecar, then pulling in behind the tiger and trailering them both down to the port in LA to load onto the container.

it was odd to drive home, pull into my garage and not see the bike there anymore. i'm excited for our reunion in chile.

also looking forward to getting to know coach - we are both coincidentally also on the same flight from atlanta - santiago. fascinating man and life. glad to know people like him exist out there in the odd corners of the world.

strapped down and ready to go to the port by porkandcorn, on Flickr

also, i know that i am going to miss my idiotic cat, who takes her real name, "mike rice", from the NBA/Portland Trailblazer's color commentary TV announcer of the same name. but she's put on some weight recently. so now she is called 'fatty' sometimes. i wanted to take her along on the ride, so i made this sticker to put on my panniers.

fatty: she compulsively eats by porkandcorn, on Flickr
Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #58
Rockaway
Gregtiger800

Oddometer: 69
Great job organizing your trip!

I just recently purchased a tiger 800 xc from classic moto. Great group of people!!! I am anxious to hear of your travels and how well your bike does....Gods speed!

Greg
Rockaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #59
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Triumph Riders Association of Portland

rockaway: thanks. glad to have you following along. one month to go! i expect the tiger to perform flawlessly.

it was nice to get together with you and the other folks at the triumph riders association of portland monthly breakfast saturday (i assume you were there somewhere). seems like a great bunch of people. i happened to jump into the buffet line behind marty, the association president. marty gave me the low-down on the group.

looking forward to getting to know some of your after i get back from my trip - at the june breakfast.

TRAPPatch by porkandcorn, on Flickr
Old 12-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #60
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

New Fees for Entry to South American Countries

good article from the BBC summarizing recent changes to fees for entry to various countries in south america. this is in line with other research i've done. in fact, i didn't realize that i needed to pay the argentinian reciprocity fee of $160.00 USD PRIOR to arriving, which can be done at the argentine government's provincias pagos. not a big deal, but doing in advance just means one less hoop to jump through in a foreign environment. much easier to do right now while i'm having brunch and sipping on a spanish coffee at a bar! (non-foreign environment)