Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #10891
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaflute View Post
And now, tell me about camping. (again by my female self) Not necessarily planning this for Baja next month, but for potential long trip on mainland this spring.
You can get very inexpensive lodging in Mexico (except of course at my luxo hotel ) so if saving money is the object you won't save much. Check in with ADVer Hewby as she is una mujer sola on her way to TDF.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #10892
operaflute
Starving Artist

Oddometer: 134
Have been following Hewby, but will ask directly.

Quote:
You can get very inexpensive lodging in Mexico
"Inexpensive" means different things to different people, but your comment duly noted.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #10893
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,371
Send John a PM about camping. He's in Mexico right now, and nobody posting in this thread is/has camped more in Mexico than him.

He'll tell you the good, the bad, and the in-between of the whole experience. He's really pushing economy and not trying to be one with nature. If he had a bigger budget, I don't think he'd camp if he didn't need to - but get the straight skinny from him.

I'm in Sjoerd's camp (no pun intended) - there is so much low cost hotel space to be found. But like you say, low cost means different things to different people.

These are fair questions. Like the ones on insurance, paperwork, security, and recommended things to see, they come up all the time, but they're fair questions.

To search the historical archive on camping south of the border, type site:advrider.com camping in Mexico into the Google search box. You can place anything you want after the protocol site:advrider.com and search for that too.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #10894
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Current Canadian warning for Florida..

3. SAFETY AND SECURITY

The decision to travel is the sole responsibility of the traveller. The traveller is also responsible for his or her own personal safety. The purpose of this Travel Report is to provide Canadians with up-to-date information to enable them to make well-informed decisions.

Street crime can spill over into commercial, hotel, and entertainment areas. Riots, though rare, occasionally occur; these are usually confined to the poorer districts of major cities, but the violence can spread to central commercial and hotel areas. Full cooperation is recommended when stopped by police.

Violent crime remains a serious concern in Florida. Criminals have demonstrated that they will use violence with little or no provocation. Many attacks have occurred in the Miami area, and others have taken place on rural roads and at interstate highway rest areas. Some rest areas have dusk-to-dawn security on site (which is indicated on the highway sign). Proceed cautiously when exiting a freeway (including Interstate 95) into large urban centres, especially after dusk. Theft has increased, particularly from trunks of parked cars in the North Miami Beach area, South Beach and at airports. Be alert, as criminals use a variety of techniques to steal personal belongings.

Passport theft is on the rise in the United States. Travellers should ensure that their travel documents are secure at all time
This travel alert is a bit audacious. Someone trying to make a name for themself by posting an extreme warning. On the other hand theft is abundant in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area. We stayed in a RV resort and during the two weeks we were there a bike or two was stolen every night. My car was broken into as well as my neighbors.
All around Miami and the metro area there are police watch towers in the parking lots of major retail stores. We moved across the alley to Naples and found it to be a much safer.

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #10895
operaflute
Starving Artist

Quote:
Send John a PM about camping. He's in Mexico right now, and nobody posting in this thread is/has camped more in Mexico than him.
Will do. Thanks for the reference.

Quote:
If he had a bigger budget, I don't think he'd camp if he didn't need to - but get the straight skinny from him.
Generally I've enjoyed my US camping, but there always time when I'd like to do otherwise. Being a flutist and having a herd of bikes... well, then way I afford it is to cut corners everywhere else.

Quote:
site:advrider.com camping in Mexico
Forgot about that trick. Works better than forum searches, often, dunno why.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #10896
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
Do they make lava proof tents?

Popol angry today!

Beautiful sight for about 100km. The clearest view I've ever had of the smoke.

Unfortunately I only had my cell phone with me

If only the resident photographer was there to do it justice

That's just his day job. At night he puts his underwear on the outside of his pants and swings from buildings. No restraining order will stop him! No sir!

He's going to retaliate now by posting a picture of me in my power-ranger suit.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #10897
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,125
No, I won't do that, I am too busy prepping the tell all tale of how and where I found La Hayek's furry little monkey!

I only did the underwear building swing trick a couple of times on a bet. I stopped doing that but I miss it.

Nice pics of the big smoke, bet it smells like Los Humeros where we were on Monday. Remind me to tell you the Los Humeros joke, I forgot to mention it.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #10898
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Do they make lava proof tents?

Popol angry today!

Beautiful sight for about 100km. The clearest view I've ever had of the smoke.

Unfortunately I only had my cell phone with me

If only the resident photographer was there to do it justice

That's just his day job. At night he puts his underwear on the outside of his pants and swings from buildings. No restraining order will stop him! No sir!

He's going to retaliate now by posting a picture of me in my power-ranger suit.
there is also a very nice view from the visitor centre at 12000 ft ASL Then for excitement ride down the silt road on the backside to Cholula

BobLoblaw screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 10:17 PM
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #10899
Snownut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale74451 View Post
This travel alert is a bit audacious. Someone trying to make a name for themself by posting an extreme warning. On the other hand theft is abundant in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area. We stayed in a RV resort and during the two weeks we were there a bike or two was stolen every night. My car was broken into as well as my neighbors.
All around Miami and the metro area there are police watch towers in the parking lots of major retail stores. We moved across the alley to Naples and found it to be a much safer.
All I did was copy the alert from Canada's travel site.. Not trying to make a name at all, the intent was to show different perspectives.. The US may say Mexico is dangerous (along with many other countries) instilling fear, but from another countries perspective the US is every bit as bad.
Snownut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #10900
operaflute
Starving Artist

Quote:
Someone trying to make a name for themself by posting an extreme warning.
Quote:
All I did was copy the alert from Canada's travel site..
I may wrong, but my interpretation was that the "someone" referred to was not you, Snownut, but whoever wrote the warning in the first place.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #10901
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Travel Alert

It was reported the other day that there are 300 million guns in Central North America. There are people in other countries who are not comfortable with this fact. They read the papers and watch television. I don't go to places where I am likely to encounter one of these guns, even with one of my own, but random acts do happen. Our friends in Southern North America do not let us bring guns there and the penalties are severe if you try. Most of our friends to the North who have weighed in on this issue are just baffled by it. I don't know if their constitution or charter or whatever their governing document is has a Bill of Rights or a Second Amendment but I will no doubt hear about it.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #10902
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
I was going to ask you what the road was like from San Felipe to Coco's corner but I'm guessing you probably don't remember
I was on it the day before yesterday. For some reason I didn't know that section was unpaved... I think I searched for info about it some time ago, didn't find it, and just forgot about it. A more thorough search would have been in order eh?

So needless to say I was a bit surprised when the road ran out just after the first bridge construction site. Considering it was used for the Baja 1000 2 days prior, it wasn't in such bad shape. I think if I'd known it was dirt for 70 miles I would have still taken it, but would have given myself more time. As it was I arrived at Coco's at dusk.

Here's the end of the road

This is what it's like for the most part

But then there is a sandy section. I was doing alright, staying in the mainly-straight wheel ruts left by cars, but then there was this one wiggly one left by an earlier bike. I gave it half a chance, and my front wheel decided to take the wiggly one. Pretty soon I was into the berm, and over the top of it.

Fortunately there is plenty of traffic on that road, so it wasn't long before Baja racers returning home came along and helped me drag the Tenere out.

In the last 5 miles before Coco's the rear suspension started feeling very weird. Zero damping, apparently. The stock Yamaha shock couldn't take that load on that road, for 70 miles. It's not like I was going fast or anything, average speed was probablly 30-40mph. So now on my way back to San Diego to take delivery of an Ohlins, and make a claim with Yamaha for a new shock. I thought going back to SD would be less messy and cheaper than having the shock shipped to La Paz or somewhere in Baja.

It's actually lucky that the shock failed this early in the trip - it was one of the things I was unsure about. Now I know it's crap, and fixing it now is a lot easier than if it had failed in Bolivia...

Will have the shock fitted by the weekend, then I'll be turning around and back to Mexico. May change my route though, now that I have seen at least part of Baja. Mexicali and south-east from there?

Trevor
Old 11-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #10903
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Cell Phone Fotos

Great shots Craneguy... no need to make apologies for cell phone. Very good quality. Which phone?
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #10904
AK Smitty
Self life coach

Oddometer: 318
Just and FYI on Storage in PV(actually Mezcales)

I was the one who asked about it months ago and this is where I ended up:

http://vallartastorage.com/English/contacto.php

This place is great!! Well I guess maybe I should wait until I pick my bike up!!!

But they were great when I dropped off. Over the top professional and polite. 24 hour security and electric fence. You must sign in with photo ID to even get to your own unit. To add a person you need to email a pic. They can do all transactions through email and with CC.

I will let you know the condition of the bike on the 26th but I felt very good about everything when I left.

I am here: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...f53b74b2cb510d
AK Smitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #10905
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
We have spring water that feeds our town well. The water is from the foothills of the mountains to the east. But you never know how many cows are up there. The locals protest every time the state of Sonora forces the town to use the chlorination system because they hate the taste and the smell. The state has promised a new system - we'll see. I have come to like the taste of our local purified water product. It does have the unfortunate name "River Water" though. With bottled water available everywhere in Mexico you are well covered.

I used to drink right from the streams up high when I lived in Colorado but I stopped after finding a dead marmot in the water about a quarter mile up stream from where i had just taken a drink. I guess I'm luck as well.
Yes, the days of "carrying a water cup" when hiking are long gone! Our spring is back in the woods with no cows but there are salamanders pooping in the water & my spring box , though sealed wasn't "bug proof". Seems what with the weather thiong/ el Nino` going on our spring also slowed much from the past, so city water was very welcome. I still run it out near my house via gravity(I destroyed the cistern/pump arrangement) from 1,400' away & enjoy a cold drink. We never went to chlorination but I'm always careful these days with my water choices. After my "event" I studied up on water treating & even the iodine tabs don't kill virus's . The Aquatabs do work with a virus but taste like crappy over treated city water!
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote